What's new

Blu-ray Review Star Trek: The Next Generation Season One Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
mattCR said:
I hadn't even noticed the issue, but haven't watched through them all.  I welcome the change in discs though.  Bigger issue for me is that Disc4 and Disc5 are both ISO labeled Disc5
Mine are labeled the same, but they have the proper episodes on the respective discs.

Frank169

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Bitterhof
Kevin EK said:
"The part of the featurette using footage from "11001001" actually made direct reference to the idea that there is no way the 1701-D could fit through that opening.  I agree it was nice to see Andy Probert in there.  I met him in 1993 when his daughter appeared in a play I was stage managing in Northern California.  He expressed his dissatisfaction with the VFX design work that had been going on since his departure - I remember him describing the post-Probert shuttlecraft as looking like a "flying lunchbox"."
I really missed his ideas and designs, after he had left. If he was refering to the "shuttlepod" he was way too polite, IMHO (I always call it the "shuttle cardbox"). Anyway, I got in touch with him and asked him if he knew, why that VFX shot was flawed, but he couldn't help. However, he wondered what the issue was all about and reminded me that Tobias Richter's beautiful Enterprise-D CGI recreation had already been used in "Encounter at Farpoint" to substitute missing original USS Enterprise footage.
So it's a bit odd, saying on one hand that they can't reconstruct a VFX scene in widescreen because the original USS Enterprise footage is only available in 4:3 when they do have a CGI version of USS Enterprise to overcome this and other missing VFX footage on the other.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn /t/322473/star-trek-the-next-generation-season-one-blu-ray-review/90#post_3957753
Mine are labeled the same, but they have the proper episodes on the respective discs.

Correct. The episodes are right, the ISO tags are wrong. :)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Funny enough, mine are labeled correctly (I double checked over the weekend). I haven't gotten to those episodes yet, but I'm working on it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was able to see most of the featurettes and a few more episodes over the weekend. A few impression outside of how good the remastering looks; I played The Naked Now, an episode I haven't seen in a decade. I forgot what the act was that Wesley did that caused all the flap about how he always saves the ship. It's not an episode I ever thought was very good, but upon reviewing, it was still bad, but not as bad as I remember it.
And I noticed how Geordi is so...I'm not sure how to describe his performances, smart alecky or overly casual while in staff meetings with the senior staff.
And I had forgotten how heroic they made Riker in these very early episodes. I never forgot how silly Troi's dialogue was. How she always felt the obvious. :)
An aspect I've known, but was made more apparent was how old everyone looks in the new featurettes compared to the early featurettes from 1987 and recent films. I've seen these guys in photos at recent conventions, I've seen Frakes and Sirtus as recently as 2006 at a convention. They seem older looking then the TOS cast did 25 years after TOS aired. the TOS cast aged of course, but time seemed kinder to them.
At any rate, enjoying this set. Looking forward to the second half of the season.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Having been one of the people who bought the originals when first released, at $100 a piece, even with some of the spectacular side by side comparisons, just tossing over $700 is a heck of a price to pay for yet another double dip. A single $30-$40 movie is one thing, but with tax I paid nearly $800 for the set.
I'll probably hold off a few years until they're all released. watch e-bay or hope they show up as rentals.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I think the math is a little faulty. Release week price at Best Buy was $60. I got mine for $55 with the Upgrade and Save promotion. Even at the $60 price point, I'm spending about $420 on all seven seasons. I remember release week prices on the DVD sets were $99.99. (I know, I got them too.) Even right now, the Amazon price is a tick under $79...or $553 total. Still a far cry off from the $700 quoted above.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'll have to look for the receipts of each season set wen I get home. I know I paid a lot for the first season when it first came out. But the rest of the seasons I think I got for less. Stan, I know how you fell! I figure with the first week discounted price of $59 for the first season blu ray, that works out to $2.27 an episode, not counting the extras. A better deal then the DVD was when I bought mine. And this is likely the last time I buy TNG. Unless some new version comes out at a better price and better image quality and more convenient package, perhaps on the memory stick or disc, or better yet, and isolinear chip. :)
As a Star Trek fan and completest, I fear the coming of DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. TOS is my favorite series, its the only real Star Trek with TNG being a very good follow-up and DS9 being a very cool alternative look at the idea. Voyager and Enterprise was fun.

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
Nelson Au said:
I'll have to look for the receipts of each season set wen I get home. I know I paid a lot for the first season when it first came out. But the rest of the seasons I think I got for less. Stan, I know how you fell! I figure with the first week discounted price of $59 for the first season blu ray, that works out to $2.27 an episode, not counting the extras. A better deal then the DVD was when I bought mine. And this is likely the last time I buy TNG. Unless some new version comes out at a better price and better image quality and more convenient package, perhaps on the memory stick or disc, or better yet, and isolinear chip. :)
As a Star Trek fan and completest, I fear the coming of DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. TOS is my favorite series, its the only real Star Trek with TNG being a very good follow-up and DS9 being a very cool alternative look at the idea. Voyager and Enterprise was fun.
I like all the series' except for Enterprise. I gave up on that in Season 2, but I wouldn't mind trying it again when it hits Blu-ray.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn /t/322473/star-trek-the-next-generation-season-one-blu-ray-review/90#post_3959090
I like all the series' except for Enterprise. I gave up on that in Season 2, but I wouldn't mind trying it again when it hits Blu-ray.

With the release of these in Hi Def Im finding that Im discovering these series over again like the first time I watched them many years ago. They feel new refreshed. I do hope that some day we get DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, Animated Series and after a while maybe even another series would be grand!

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
I've always thought they should have a "Starfleet Academy" show based out of San Francisco showing the rigors of learning to be a Starfleet officer.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Dave Vaughn said:
I've always thought they should have a "Starfleet Academy" show based out of San Francisco showing the rigors of learning to be a Starfleet officer.
I have always thought the same thing, Dave. It would be a great series to follow cadets as they train at Starfleet Academy. You don't always need a starship for Star Trek to be interesting.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn /t/322473/star-trek-the-next-generation-season-one-blu-ray-review/90#post_3959176

I'd be good with that... I think it would be easier to keep something like that ongoing. Meanwhile, there have been hints in places that there are studios that would love to do an ANIMATED Star Trek retry. http://io9.com/5927598/new-star-trek-tv-show-could-be-an-animated-series

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Dave Vaughn said:
God no! They would turn it into a teen angst soap opera. Only with green girls and spandex.

Real Name
Patrick E Hannon
I sent off an e-mail to Paramount about the replacement discs yesterday and I received a reply within an hour or so for my information. I sent off the address and disc ID# (boy they are small numbers...especially for old eyes, but with the right lighting angle not too hard to decipher!).
I live in Canada and have a PO box rather than a street address for my mail, sooooo we shall see what happens. At least Paramount is trying to remedy the situation.......they deserve praise. Errors can occur and I guess it slipped through the system.
P.E.Hannon

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Towergrove /t/322473/star-trek-the-next-generation-season-one-blu-ray-review/90#post_3959423
As long as you give equal time to the green guys in spandex I see nothing wrong.

That just made me smile.

I'd be much more concerned with the show being on CW than the spandex and teen angst, to be honest. Maybe they go together though.

(In lieu of an Academy show, I've always thought an anthology series would be fun. One week use Chris Pine and crew for a small adventure, the next week the story is on a Borg ship. Maybe William Shatner could come on as Kirk at some point, followed by a USS Titan story. It would keep everything fresh and open the door for LOTS of stunt casting. (Naturally, this series would need to be on CBS and not CW.)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
On a Borg ship?

"These are the voyages of the Borg ship Assimilate. Resistance is Futile."

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Why not? I'm not sure what the story would be, exactly, but maybe various important events from the perspective of the Borg. The first contact with humans back during Enterprise, which then zooms to taking of the outposts in The Neutral Zone and meeting Seven's parents from Dark Frontier. It would be difficult, no doubt, but that would be one heck of an episode.

Just a show to fill in the missing pieces between stories that we never actually saw. The formation of Section 31, for instance. Chakotay, Torres, Tuvok and Seska as Maquis pre-Voyager.

Imagine the CBS marketing department going GAGA over promoting Shatner returns to Trek! Or a new adventure of the Enterprise-D! (The title is Star Trek: All Stars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks