What's new

Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 6 (Blu-ray) Available For Preorder (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
smithbrad said:
TNG is an entirely different thing all together. While with TOS they created entirely new FX's with a different feel, with TNG they just tried to redo the exact same FX but with more detail in a higher resolution, so the intent stayed the same. That is why the replies are stating there is really no reason to maintain the original versions for TNG.
To me, it was amazing how much detail existed on the original models for TNG that was shot in 35mm... I was showing off one of the new Blu-rays to someone (maybe a coworker? can't remember, it was about a year ago) and they were stunned at the look of the show, and said they couldn't believe they really spent the money to do new CGI of that level.. and when I told him it wasn't CGI and just 35mm photography that we're finally seeing clearly for the first time, the jaw just dropped to the floor. And that to me is one of the coolest things about these TNG remasters, that for the most part, we're not even getting new effects, we're just finally getting to see the work they did then clearly.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
As I work my way through this set I'm struck by two impressions—there are some great episodes here, but at the same time it seems like the show in its 6th season was beginning to experience some of the creative fatigue that almost engulfed it in the last season.

The best episodes in S6 are some of my favorites in the whole show. My list of favorites includes Time's Arrow, A Fistful of Datas, Chain of Command, Ship in a Bottle, Face of the Enemy, Frame of Mind, and Timescape.

But some of the remaining "good" episodes for me are seriously flawed. Relics, for instance, makes Scottie into a senile buffoon in the first half, which I find almost unforgivable. The Chase has an interesting premise, but it's one that seemingly conflicts with much of what we know about the real science and evidence about evolution on Earth. Rightful Heir is ok examination of religion, but in places becomes slow and a bit annoying imho.

What's really strange is that I actually sort of liked one of the most hated episodes of the whole show, Aquiel. I remember the twist ending was a surprise when it first aired, even if it is a bit silly, and I somehow liked it better this time than some of the others.

Again, there are a lot of good to great episodes here, but as I experience the misfires and backfires this season it does make me feel again that it was impressive how DS9 got stronger in its last two season, rather than seemingly running on fumes like TNG seemed to be at times....

Just my 2 cents.

Overall, a strong set with excellent PQ and AQ.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
benbess said:
What's really strange is that I actually sort of liked one of the most hated episodes of the whole show, Aquiel. I remember the twist ending was a surprise when it first aired, even if it is a bit silly, and I somehow liked it better this time than some of the others.
I had the same reaction -- it wasn't a terrible episode, and while the ending was a little silly, they did lay the groundwork for it, so it wasn't a totally out of nowhere thing. I liked the mystery and the character stuff. I'd probably rewatch it before some of the other, more acclaimed episodes of the season.

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
Josh Steinberg said:
I had the same reaction -- it wasn't a terrible episode, and while the ending was a little silly, they did lay the groundwork for it, so it wasn't a totally out of nowhere thing. I liked the mystery and the character stuff. I'd probably rewatch it before some of the other, more acclaimed episodes of the season.
I was braced for badness when I rewatched it the other night but, 'The Thing' influence aside (my 14 year-old son called it within the first five minutes), we still found it enjoyable.

I don't think anything can save Dr. Crushers 'romance novel' episode in Season 7, though...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
ijthompson said:
I don't think anything can save Dr. Crushers 'romance novel' episode in Season 7, though...
I'm hoping the novelty of not having seen it since it originally aired might help!

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
joshEH said:
In one of the Blu-Ray supplements, Ronald D. Moore mentions that he and Braga are simply DYING to do a commentary-track for that episode. And it might actually happen, too. :D
Oh man, I hope they do. I demand an explanation! :D

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
ijthompson said:
Oh man, I hope they do. I demand an explanation! :D
All I can see them saying from the beginning to end of "Sub Rosa" is: we apologize to Jonathan Frakes since he had to direct this POS. We apologize to Gates McFadden for making her last starring episode per year a complete turd. We apologize to the Irish for the way we depicted them here. We apoloigize to Paramount for what could have been the worst episode of TNG (if "Shades of Gray" didn't exist).

And so on...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I expect S7 to be announced (or at the very least teased) sometime this weekend at the Las Vegas convention. It's a long way to December, but the cat is already out of the bag, so I don't see any good reason to wait until October to announce.

And this is yet another reason the release strategy has been so poor. If the R1 set comes out in December (or even end of November), the means five months or so would have passed since the last release.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i'm a bit confused ar these thg rmasters cleaning of 35mm including the original fx? mnaing there are no new fx the way tod set was done?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
They use as much of the original effects shots that they can. All transporter and phaser effects have to be re-done because they were done in SD originally.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks