What's new

Star Trek- The Next Generation S2 blu-ray coming December 4 (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Surprised to see today an email from Fandango that another Fathom event is scheduled in late November of theatrical screenings of the remastered Q Who and The Measure of a Man.
They only did one screening for the TOS remastered project. So perhaps they will do these for each season set release?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
There's been a poster at our local AMC for a few weeks, Nelson. I'm undecided if I'm going to go at this point...but I'm mildly surprised they're unveiling "the best" of S2 with Q Who and the extended Measure of a Man. I kinda assumed they're do something like Peak Performance and Matter of Honor...good episodes, but not the great ones.

If they do an event for S3 and BoBW is shown, I might have a nerdgasm.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jason, I haven't been to a theater in a while!
I'm also surprised they chose to show Q Who. Contagion is a really good episode and has some spectacular effects too, you'd think they could have picked that one.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy is going to have this for $65 and I imagine that Amazon has or will match that price soon.
As an aside, I have to say that while I'm not a Star Trek fan, I'm amazed at the level of quality of the stuff that gets released (upgrading TNG from SD to HD, corrections to the first season set being made quickly and painlessly, a complete set of original series scores on CD, etc.). If you're a hardcore fan with plenty of money, it's really an embarassment of riches.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
So I was off by $5. I can live with that.

Amazon didn't match as of this morning, but I assume they will very soon.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Travis, this coming Tuesday will be a very expensive day indeed for us Trek fans! Well, not every Trek fan will be in for the TNG blus, but for sure the soundtrack set! I'm going for both.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Nelson Au said:
Travis, this coming Tuesday will be a very expensive day indeed for us Trek fans! Well, not every Trek fan will be in for the TNG blus, but for sure the soundtrack set! I'm going for both.
Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread...what soundtrack set? Do tell!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Carabimero said:
Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread...what soundtrack set? Do tell!
Carabimero,
I think Nelson is referring to the TOS complete soundtrack collection set. Come see the news in The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread. :)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Guys, i have to tell you, it makes me happy knowing when i click on a Trek thread i will see you all here.
I mean, Scott, doesnt even have a Blu-ray player, yet here he is.
Hey Scott, give in to it my friend, you would love TOS and TNG on Blu.
I have been dreading Dec 4th for weeks. Not because of all the goodness. Just because of the cash i have to drop. Trek is not a "cheap habit".

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Trek is indeed not a cheap habit; on the other hand, the franchise's durability is one of the reasons we get treats like TNG Blus and now this complete TOS OST set--because fans love ST so much they consistently speak with their wallets.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
RickER said:
Guys, i have to tell you, it makes me happy knowing when i click on a Trek thread i will see you all here.
I mean, Scott, doesnt even have a Blu-ray player, yet here he is.
Hey Scott, give in to it my friend, you would love TOS and TNG on Blu.
I have been dreading Dec 4th for weeks. Not because of all the goodness. Just because of the cash i have to drop. Trek is not a "cheap habit".
Rick,
Well, my oldest son has a game system that plays blu-ray, and we've seen a couple of films on blu-ray. So that option is always available to me. :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The season 1 BDs were outstanding, especially the new documentaries. Looking forward to all 7 seasons, plus DS9 and Enterprise getting the same treatment. (Sorry, Voyager on DVD will suffice.)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was looking around for any early reviews or previews on the Season 2 set on blu-ray.
I found a good In-depth review that is quite informative at trekcore.com.
http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/26110212_s2review.html
I am quite impressed with Trekcore of late. I didn't know they were a site with enough gravitas to engage the interest of La La Land to give them interviews and samples of the upcoming Star Trek The Original Series soundtrack set. It seems that they are upstaging the Trekmovie site!
So they have a very informative review of the TNG S2 set. The reviewer makes some good points about the quality of the season itself and the changes in personnel and film stock. One area of concern is the revelation that CBS decided to use an external house to help with the remastering efforts. They go on to highly praise the efforts of the CBS in-house team's work in the first year and then contrast to the uneven efforts for the new FX work in the second season. It's lacking a certain amount of ' love' that CBS was able to give it. But that was a minor point given the other major improvements in the live action film quality. And also the inclusion of the extended cut of Measure of A Man and some outtakes, or a new blooper reel.
If you have a free 10 minutes, the trekcore review is worth a look. And it will be interesting if Neil will be able to do an HTF review of the second season as he did the first season. I'll look forward to that!
And I see that Amazon has matched the Best Buy price. I think I'll pick this up locally at a Best Buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks