What's new

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs /forum/thread/294077/star-trek-the-motion-picture/30#post_3651515
Star Trek 1, 2, 3, & 5 on Blu range from sub-par to acceptable. 4 and 6 are some of the worst transfers the format has to offer, you could watch them on an iPod and still see the problems. If you can't see whats wrong with them you just don't know what you're looking at, which is not uncommon even on the HTF.
I've seen them and they look fine to me, maybe it's you who doesn't know what he's looking at? hmmm?
Star Trek the Motion Picture in fact looks absolutely fabulous, so good I've watched it twice already, something I rarely do these days.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
yesh i did. had a friend who owned all 6, compared it against my SE/CE 6 movies. pretty crappy. will wait. some still scenes look nice. but overall, i expected way much for a franchise such as this. should be *gold* but we got latinum instead ;)

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Steve Christou /forum/thread/294077/star-trek-the-motion-picture/60#post_3651535
I've seen them and they look fine to me, maybe it's you who doesn't know what he's looking at? hmmm?
Star Trek the Motion Picture in fact looks absolutely fabulous, so good I've watched it twice already, something I rarely do these days.
No it's definitely you, I have a great talent for seeing.
Regarding TMP; I would buy it if I could get it individually.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs /img/forum/go_quote.gif">
No it's definitely you, I have a great talent for seeing.
Regarding TMP; I would buy it if I could get it individually.
Please...what you're the authority? They look fine to me and I know what I'm looking at, your "talent" not withstanding.
You don't like them..fine. Don't tell us there's something wrong with our vision because we disagree.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JediFonger /forum/thread/294077/star-trek-the-motion-picture/60#post_3651541
yesh i did. had a friend who owned all 6, compared it against my SE/CE 6 movies. pretty crappy. will wait. some still scenes look nice. but overall, i expected way much for a franchise such as this. should be *gold* but we got latinum instead ;)
You do know that gold is worthless in the 24th century, right?
What you're basically saying is the discs should be worthless (gold) but we got priceless (latinum). /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Originally Posted by Nicholas Martin /img/forum/go_quote.gif">
You do know that gold is worthless in the 24th century, right?
What you're basically saying is the discs should be worthless (gold) but we got priceless (latinum).

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Tino /forum/thread/294077/star-trek-the-motion-picture/60#post_3651571
Please...what you're the authority? They look fine to me and I know what I'm looking at, your "talent" not withstanding.
You don't like them..fine. Don't tell us there's something wrong with our vision because we disagree. /img/vbsmilies/htf/rolleyes.gif
I'm not implying there's anything wrong with your vision, anymore than I would say there's something wrong with an able bodied person's legs because they couldn't keep pace with an Olympic runner.
If you like them that's fine, they still average poor quality. "Ignorance is bliss," as they say.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not implying there's anything wrong with your vision, anymore than I would say there's something wrong with an able bodied person's legs because they couldn't keep pace with an Olympic runner.
If you like them that's fine, they still average poor quality. "Ignorance is bliss," as they say.
In your opinion they average poor quality. I and others disagree. Ignorance is bliss indeed.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Star Trek V on blu was excellent too, a beautiful print. I watched it with Shatners commentary, his daughter was on the track too. What was interesting was that he would mention De and Leonard by name but not the other 4 Trek regulars, unless I missed it. And they were the 4 that famously hated Shatner, much to his surprise later on.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Steve Christou /forum/thread/294077/star-trek-the-motion-picture/60#post_3651790
Star Trek V on blu was excellent too, a beautiful print.
Talk about a silk purse out of a sow's ear!
Okay, this is when some fans step in to defend Shatner's directorial outing. But it The Final Frontier really cemented the odd numbered sequel curse (although Undiscovered Country wasn't all that great either).

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I think thats the first time the word "excellent" was associated with Star Trek V. /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif">
Being a true trekkie I like all the Star Trek movies, even Nemesis, the nadir of the series in my opinion. Trek V had the original crew and thats good enough for me, it's not like they made dozens of films.
And Trek V did have an 'excellent' score by the late great Jerry Goldsmith, bought the album and CD. James Horner's two Trek scores are fab too. Cliff Eidelman's score for Trek VI also superb. As a soundtrack collector I had to buy all these great scores. A shame there isn't any isolated music tracks on the dvds or blu's, especially on my favourite, ST-TMP.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
speaking of scores, do you guys own the "SE" full movie soundtrack of Wrath of Kahn?
http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm?cdID=431
^it's epic =). the beginning of Horner's career.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys,
December 7 is a few weeks away, which marks the 33rd Anniversary of the premiere of Star Trek The Motion Picture. Wow, hard to believe that much time has passed.
Most of the cast are still with us and many of the creative people behind the cameras are gone though.
I just came across an MP3 audio commentary file on my iPod and it reminded me of the anniversary coming up. If some of you saw a post I made a few years ago, at that time star trek.com had posted a podcast of an audio commentary recorded with Mike Mattessino, Dave Fein and Daren Dochterman about 2009, the producers and effects supervisor for the 2000 Star Trek The Motion Picture Directors Cut edition. Its meant to be played at the same time as you watch the DVD.
I played the podcast today in my car to just listen to the comments and they touch on a lot of things that you can easier miss about the story and repeating motifs and themes in the film. It really shows the kind of effort that Wise had intended make sure comes across to the audience. It goes on to really reinforce for me that its the single best Star Trek film made. Even if I hadn't heard this, I still feel that.
It's coming up to that time to play the disc again! I sure hope that in the next few months, we hear of the DC coming on blu ray!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
For those of who curious about the commentary Nelson's mentions in his post about the commentary, with a little googling I found a location where it can be downloaded in two parts from Daren Dochterman's blog:
http://blog.darendoc.com/?m=201103

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Lou for posting the link. There's actually a third part on the next page of his blog! He broke the entire commentary down to 3 parts I guess to make it easier to download. Too bad the original link is missing so far as it's one file there. If I find the link, I'll post it.
It's a really good commentary because its not only about the technical stuff they did to the film, but about the story.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Agreed,,. STMP is the best trek movie made in scope and themes (even though I think we are in the minority). I too am waiting for the Blu Ray of the DC and is the main reason I have not bought the blu ray set. I hope it comes to fruition.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Agreed. It is also the only one the original cast had a decent budget to work with too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks