What's new

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The Blu Ray releases of the original 6 films are theatrical cuts only. Where have you been! Just pulling your leg, Todd!

We are anxiously awaiting the double dip for Directors Cuts. I think Paramount was just being cautious with these releases, they timed them with the release of the JJ film. But they probably didn't want, to take a chance on investing too much with Lowry to transfer the films to Blu Ray. Star Trek wasn't doing too well a few years ago.

Now that the JJ Abrams film is doing so well both theatrically this past summer and now on blu ray, there's hope in my mind that the bean counters will see there is still a viable market for TOS Star Trek films on blu ray. The only Directors Cuts are Star Trek 1, 2 and 6. Of course Shatner would love to get a budget to remaster the effects of Star Trek 5 too. That would be very nice. They ought to take a page from CBS's great work with Star Trek TOS blu ray season sets.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
'Actually it's Khan, Voyage Home, and Undiscovered Country that are available individually, because they were the "best."'

Whoever thought that "The Undiscovered Country" was one of the best Trek films was seriously out of their minds.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That's right Sam! I almost forgot. I still remember standing in line that day to see it. And then the additional 4 or 5 times after that.

Hard to believe it's been that long! Happy Anniversary to Star Trek The Motion Picture, still one of the most visually stunning of all the films and true to the series, yet flawed as well.

I still remember a friend who got me a video tape of the film recorded off HBO probably around 1981 and then getting the laserdisc some years after that.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I didn't realize it was the anniversary of the film until I read Sam's post.
Such great memories seeing that film for the first time on the big screen. As one of many that anxiously awaited *anything* Trek-related after the cancellation of TOS, I was thrilled to have the chance to see my heroes on the big screen. :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I remember seeing posters for the movie everywhere in the weeks and months leading up to the film, as well as news reports about how highly anticipated it was. I saw it twice opening weekend. It still has the best visuals and photography of any Star Trek film. (Sorry, JJ -- too many lens flares!)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Did anybody record the audio of Star Trek The Motion Picture at the time? I did it with a buddy at a drive-in!

Sam, my original Star Trek TMP poster is a little faded now. I'd like to get a new one and the teaser poster too at the time. I think that's a really good one too with the Enterprise at an angle with images of the cast and the funky Star Trek logo font used then. But the final poster with the Bob Peak artwork is the classic!

Speaking of lens flares, here's a trivia question: Name the TOS episode where we actually see a real lens flare. Not a minor one, but a pretty big one.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"Did anybody record the audio of Star Trek The Motion Picture at the time? I did it with a buddy at a drive-in!"
Nelson,
That's going a bit too far. Sorry, I just can't believe that you'd ... Dang. I just spilled coffee on my Starfleet Uniform. Now I have to go change. /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif
Seriously, I don't know what a lens flare is, unless it's what happens to Picard when he first says "I am Locutus of Borg" when staring into the lens during The Best of Both Worlds. Is that a lens flare?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott-

The lens flares are what Star Trek 2009 has been somewhat criticized and made fun of for. JJ Abrams wanted to have lights flare on the edge of the screen and you can't miss them! He felt they were a visual reminder of how "bright" the future is.

In the special features section of the movie BD and DVD, they show him and crew in action pointing lights at the camera to achieve the effect. In the past, it's a no-no as it's considered a mistake, like having the mike boom fall into frame.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
There are intentional lens flares all over TMP as well. If you look closely during the Enterprise flyby sequence, in a few shots you can see the special reflectors on the Drydock's spotlights --used to create all the star flares seen.

Coincidentally I got my DST TMP Phaser in the mail yesterday. Ordered it months ago.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
"Seriously, I don't know what a lens flare is, unless it's what happens to Picard when he first says "I am Locutus of Borg" when staring into the lens during The Best of Both Worlds. Is that a lens flare?"
If you've seen the latest movie then you've seen quite a few lens flares.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone remember back in 1979 when 20/20 did a story about Star Trek The Motion Picture?

I remember mostly Hugh Downs saying how the years have been good to the cast of Star Trek. Only 10 years after TOS at the time! I'll see if it's on youtube.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
It is on youtube! I remember James Doohan's explanation for the Klingon's new look after all these years, but couldn't recall where I had seen it. Thanks, Nelson!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Bill, would you mind either posting a link, or telling me what search words you used? I couldn't find it!

Thanks for confirming it's there. How do people find this stuff to put on youtube?!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I found it.

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKhtuTLDkwk&feature=player_embedded

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsFDWXX0SO0&feature=player_embedded

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /img/forum/go_quote.gif">
Bill, would you mind either posting a link, or telling me what search words you used? I couldn't find it!
Thanks for confirming it's there. How do people find this stuff to put on youtube?!

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I wasn't sure if posting the links in here was kosher before going out. Sorry about that!

It irks me that most of the Paramount produced Trek tv specials have only seen release in the Japanese Laserdisc box sets. And none of them have made it to DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks