What's new

Paramount+ Theatrical Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) (1 Viewer)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
An original 35mm film negative is generally thought to have somewhere between 3-4K of real image detail, depending on the film stock and lenses used, lighting conditions etc. But what you'd actually see at the cinema is far below that, as an interpositive is made from that negative, then an internegative, then release prints - each step resulting in generation loss, so that the final print probably has somewhere around 2K of image detail. But then you also have to account for the mechanics of film projection - as the film physically passes through the projector, it's never perfectly stable, resulting in gate weave and imperfect focus. So with a release print, what your actually seeing projected is around the 720p range.
Not to mention that, unless you were in one of the larger markets (I was NOT), your print had water spots on it from not having time to fully dry ...

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I went to the 7pm showtime tonight and it was a VERY good theater experience. I thought the picture quality was great, and though I’ve never been an audiophile I thought the sound was amazing. Wonderfully loud without being ear-splitting AND the dialogue being loud as well. I hate how modern movies often keep the dialogue low to the point that it get drowned out by the music and effects.

The movie itself gets better and better every time I see it. Growing up it wasn’t my favorite, but always appreciated it’s qualities, but it IS my favorite Trek film these days. And it’s a movie that benefits greatly by the big screen. I was in heaven sitting there during the opening credits with the score playing. I even stayed through the entire end credits just to catch every last second of the music. If I can EVER see it in a theater again I will jump on it!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I went to the 7pm showtime tonight and it was a VERY good theater experience. I thought the picture quality was great, and though I’ve never been an audiophile I thought the sound was amazing. Wonderfully loud without being ear-splitting AND the dialogue being loud as well. I hate how modern movies often keep the dialogue low to the point that it get drowned out by the music and effects.

The movie itself gets better and better every time I see it. Growing up it wasn’t my favorite, but always appreciated it’s qualities, but it IS my favorite Trek film these days. And it’s a movie that benefits greatly by the big screen. I was in heaven sitting there during the opening credits with the score playing. I even stayed through the entire end credits just to catch every last second of the music. If I can EVER see it in a theater again I will jump on it!
I shared your experience at my screening. Your post says it all. It's almost as if I'd written it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The theatrical version is only available on widescreen VHS, laserdisc, and Blu-ray — not DVD.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They do retain the theatrical subtitles on the iTunes version of TMP. I’m not sure if that’s the case on other digital storefronts with that title.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
They do retain the theatrical subtitles on the iTunes version of TMP. I’m not sure if that’s the case on other digital storefronts with that title.

I rewatched part of the film on blu raybthe other night. I caught a picture of the Apollo astronaut in the corner of the observation lounge!!!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I’m glad most here had a better experience than I did. Bummed I didn’t enjoy my presentation more.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Kind of sorry I missed this - I've never seen TMP on the big screen, I somehow didn't get around to seeing it it's on initial release for some reason.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
As I mentioned in the Downton Abbey thread, my wife and I saw DA last night. It's a good movie, especially if you enjoy the show. I said to my wife, who is a big fan of DA (and of Star Trek), "Seeing the Downton house on the big screen must be a thrill, kind of like when we saw the Enterprise on the big screen for the first time in Star Trek: The Motion Picture."

She agreed that it was, that the house never looked so good or so beautiful. "Good," I said, "I hope they don't blow it up in the third movie."

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
As I mentioned in the Downton Abbey thread, my wife and I saw DA last night. It's a good movie, especially if you enjoy the show. I said to my wife, who is a big fan of DA (and of Star Trek), "Seeing the Downton house on the big screen must be a thrill, kind of like when we saw the Enterprise on the big screen for the first time in Star Trek: The Motion Picture."

She agreed that it was, that the house never looked so good or so beautiful. "Good," I said, "I hope they don't blow it up in the third movie."

Going off-topic but...

Does the "Downton" movie seem like it'd make sense to someone who never saw the show?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Going off-topic but...

Does the "Downton" movie seem like it'd make sense to someone who never saw the show?

Make sense? Sure, but without the substance of who these people are and what they’ve been through. It is almost certainly made for fans of the show. Unlike Trek movies which were always marketed as “you don’t have to be a fan to enjoy it.”

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks