1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek The Motion Picture 40th Anniversary Fathom even September 15, 2019

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Osato, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Just got back.

Very disappointing presentation. Looks like the same transfer as the Blu Ray. Lots Of soft shots. I actually think the Blu looks better.

Sound was great. Theater had about 30 people. Film was preceded by an extra from the Blu-ray about the origins of the film. The extra looked better than the film.

Only wish this was a 4K restoration. That would have been tremendous.

joshEH, Bob_S. and Bryan^H like this.
  2. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I suspect this presentation was the same based on the viewing I just had.

3. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Exactly what I was afraid of. When I heard this was just going to be the BD blown up to 300", I thought I'll save my $12 and watch it at 140" in my home. As much as I wanted to support this I didn't. While I feel bad about skipping it, I think this could have been done better like the wildly impressive 4k showing of Close Encounters of the Third kind a few years ago!

Tino likes this.
  4. Dave Jessup

Dave Jessup Stunt Coordinator

My reaction is over on the Scott Atwill discussion thread, but briefly - our local theater's presentation looked fine, like a fresh scan via DCP, not satellite. The film does have a large number of soft-looking shots due to everything from split diopter lens shots, to low light levels, to multi-layered optical effect shots. This was the late '70s, all analog, and what I saw today pretty much matches the multiple viewings I had in the winter of 1979 to 80... albeit with much better sound than most of the theaters I attended then. Shots without any of those impediments were razor-sharp.

One thing I was looking for and was pleased to see: the light levels were close to what I remember. This was a dark film (though I'm sure a lot of theaters ran their projectors dimmer than they should have), and this showing was not brightened up as so many of the home video editions have been.

5. Tommy R

Tommy R Supporting Actor

Tommy
    Though I initially thought about skipping because of the fact it’s a low quality presentation, I went ahead and bought my tickets for Wednesday. I’m none the less looking forward to it and will try to make the best of the showing, since I at least know it’s not going to look good. Absolutely love the film and want to show the powers-that-be that it still holds interest. I’d love a 4K release with all the cuts of the film.

Also just recently read the novelization, which was surprisingly really good. I’m also halfway through another ST novel called “The Entropy Effect” and really like it so far. I’ve never explored the expanded universe of ST before (if they even call it that for ST, I know they use the EU term for Star Wars), but will keep reading some of these older novels as long as they keep me interested.

Bob_S. and Blimpoy06 like this.
  6. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    Just got back from Star Trek The Motion Picture AKA "The one where everyone wears pyjamas". Not a big crowd, presentation was good (As in the theater properly displayed what they were given), this film could definitely use a new scan and perhaps some work on the optical composites as there were some highly suspect effect shots.

Overall I found this to be a good experience.

Osato and Blimpoy06 like this.
  7. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

I saw it today. I've never seen TMP in a theater, so it was a treat. The film really works better on the large screen, where the epic scale is more appropriate.

It started with The Longest Trek from 2009, which is found on the blu-ray.

As to the film itself, the image was very good. It made the soft opticals and poor mattes stand out even more. I saw only a handful of marks on the print. Because they were limited to single shots, I think they're baked into the opticals. I don't know how accurate it was to the original release, but the contrast and color timing looked right to me.

The audio was excellent. During the overture, the high strings seemed a bit harsh, But everything thereafter was very impressive. The separation in the orchestration and sound effects were very clear, the imaging was 3-dimensional, and the transients were very pleasing.

Osato and Blimpoy06 like this.
  8. Osato

Osato Producer

It was a treat for me too! The picture and sound were much better than what would’ve been shown in 1979!!
    Picture was good but the audio was great. I picked up so many small sounds that I had never heard before.
    It also made me appreciate the directors edition EVEN more! There are scenes in the theatrical that need fleshed out more or trimmed up more. The de is the definitive version of the film for me.

Can’t wait to hear about a new UHd 4k of the de soon!

I also hope I can see Star Trek 5 theatrically at some point. It’s the line treknthat I have not seen in a theater.

If you are on the fence go see Star Trek on Wednesday. It’s worth it to see this film on a big screen. It was worth seeing.

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  9. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I disagree with this comment strongly. Not even close in my opinion.

10. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I think Osato is correct.

This transfer is either from an IP or an IN. In 1979, a theatrical release print would have been even further away from that - so it would have been softer and less detailed. However, that softness would have hid the roughest edges of the roughest opticals, so it might have appeared more uniform without actually being sharper or more detailed.

Osato likes this.
  11. Osato

Osato Producer

Picture and sound were great.
    Star Trek fans please support this showing!

We need more Star Trek product on 4k!

12. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I saw it many times in 1979/80. And I remember it looking a hell of a lot better than the screening I saw today.

And I’m not trying to discourage anyone from seeing this. Just giving an opinion of my screening today.

By all means if you’re a Star Trek fan you should check it out for yourself.

Josh Steinberg and Bryan^H like this.
  13. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I had never seen this movie prior to today and I didn't really know anything about it but it was better than I expected based on the even numbered Trek movie thing. Overall, it's entertaining but the movie is a little slow at some points and a few things take an insane amount of time (like the shots of Kirk and Scotty going to the Enterprise must be three minutes!).

Osato, Tino and Josh Steinberg like this.
  14. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    That’s the most blatant example of “We have a budget for effects! And not enough time to edit!”

I think there was also the idea of showing an audience used to the TV show how amazing the ship could look. A love letter to fans who watched beaten and battered syndicated prints of just 79 episodes again and again and again for a decade.

The Director’s Edition (available in standard definition only) works out a lot of the pacing issues. It’s amazing how trimming a second here and a second there can add up to a much smoother experience.

B-ROLL, TravisR, Osato and 1 other person like this.
  15. Osato

Osato Producer

Agreed. The de also does a better job explaining some of the story in places too. The transmission to the enterprise for example. When they first encounter it and are under attack.

16. Osato

Osato Producer

There is another showing on Wednesday. Don’t miss it Star Trek fans!!!

17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, it must have been great for fans who had only seen the Enterprise on a 12 to 20 inch TV for a decade to now see it on a movie theater screen.

Doug Wallen, Josh Steinberg and Osato like this.
  18. Osato

Osato Producer

I wish I could go again on Wednesday.

TravisR likes this.
  19. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

Call in sick and go. We'll cover for you at the office.;)

This was my first Fathom event, and I wondered how they'd handle the reserve seating. I had to choose a seat in the second row. I tried it, but I was craning my neck back and the screen was at an odd angle. So, I moved one row back and it was much better.

There was no one in the theater enforcing the reserved seating. It was already dark when I arrived, but I guess it was less than half full. At 1pm on a Sunday, that's not bad for a 40-year-old film.

BTW, the Fathom website UI is atrocious. When entering my info, I received an error message for something, but it was in tiny black print on a dark red background - nearly impossible to read. At another point, I had entered by CC expiration date in the wrong format. It wouldn't let me proceed, but there was no error message. I had to guess what to fix. Then, I wondered if I could use the QR code in the email from my phone, but there was nothing on the FAQ about it, so I printed the email so I wouldn't have any problems.

Osato and TravisR like this.
  20. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    Why did you have to choose a seat in the second row If the theater was only half full? Anyplace near me lets you choose your seat when you buy the ticket.

Osato likes this.