What's new

Paramount+ Theatrical Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Im so glad I went to Star Trek the motion Picture on Sunday.

I hope future events are in the way soon.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Make sense? Sure, but without the substance of who these people are and what they’ve been through. It is almost certainly made for fans of the show. Unlike Trek movies which were always marketed as “you don’t have to be a fan to enjoy it.”

Thanks. I'm VERY on the fence about "Downton", as I can't claim I think it looks especially interesting.

Still, I'm willing to give it a shot. Was just concerned it'll not make much sense since I never watched one minute of the TV show!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
It’s been a few months since this event and I’m so glad I went.

I was just telling someone the other day how much fun it was to see this film in a theater screen.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
This was such a highlight film for me last year. I loved seeing it in the theater.

There’s some audio mixing underway for a Dolby atmos audio mix. I hope a new 4k release is on the way this year.

“Also, there’s new hope today for Star Trek fans eagerly awaiting news of Paramount’s much-anticipated remastered version of Robert Wise’s Star Trek: The Motion Picture: Director’s Edition in Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD: The film’s original score mixer, Bruce Botnick, has just revealed he’s about to start work on a new Dolby Atmos mix! The source is this interview on YouTube (and the relevant comments start at about 2:40 in). GREAT news!”

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
When I first saw it I thought it a dud, and my opinion hasn't improved since. It was far too ethereal, what one could call a mind f**k for a real Star Trek movie and I had to wait for The Wrath of Khan to get the real thing.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
They're doing some incredible work. That shot of Vulcan alone is going to worth the wait.

And Kirk's close-up is a stunning difference.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I do not like the "enhanced window reflection" in Kirk's close up - it's distracting.

From what I've read, some vfx are "new" or "changed." Do they plan to offer this like the remastered TOS episodes with a choice of original effects or upgraded/new?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I do not like the "enhanced window reflection" in Kirk's close up - it's distracting.

From what I've read, some vfx are "new" or "changed." Do they plan to offer this like the remastered TOS episodes with a choice of original effects or upgraded/new?
I could be wrong but wasn't the director's cut only created in 2001 or so? The theatrical cut is already available on UHD and this will just be new effects rendered at 4K instead of 2K from the DVD release.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

Nope this specific cut is meant to represent what the director would have done had he the time. So there's no other "original effects" version to switch back to. The theatrical version is already out. The TOS episodes were redone because the original effects didn't stand up to HD. Those were the only significant changes other than the new recording of the theme music so they could have the seamless branching to toggle for people who wanted the original effects. The TMP DE is a complete re-edit.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

The original TOS effects, while badly dated, still existed on film in HD. The "original" Director's Edition visual effects only exist in 480i, and there's no way that would be acceptable upscaled to 4K.

Much like the standard definition visual effects elements in TNG, they had no choice but to recreate them. And much like the TNG HD remaster, they're taking care to utilize the extant high definition visual effects elements from the original production, where possible.

Where this differs from the TNG HD remaster is that the scope of the liberties they're taking appears to be broader. Partly that's because the Director's Edition approved by Wise was severely limited by money and time; it's hard to say for sure what he would have approved of had the resources been there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks