What's new

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) (2 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
No problem Bill.

I thought I knew about most of the Star Trek laserdisc releases, but I didn't keep track of overseas stuff. That would be neat to collect!

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
This site is a great source of info on all of them. They even cover the RCA CED videodiscs.

http://www.blam1.com/StarTrek/index.htm

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it was fun Kevin!

I also came across an NBC news piece for the press conference for Star Trek The Motion Picture. I've seen photos from this event, but never the video. This is pretty cool too!

http://www.youtube.com/user/DarenDoc#p/u/15/a3XEz1uy37I

darendoc's channel has other videos he put up for Star Trek, like the Merv Griffin show on Star Trek 2.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I believe I have a segment from Entertainment Tonight about the premier of the new tv show "Star Trek:TNG". They interview the cast and show some of the sets. What I remember the most is Jonathan Frakes (Riker) talking about how he wouldn't mind doing the show for a few years. Even saying that "Where in Hollywood are you pretty much guaranteed a job for a while".

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Another very cool featurette has surfaced on Star Trek The Motion Picture.

Trekmovie posted it from one of it's readers. This is one I've never seen, or have no recollection of seeing before. What's so cool about it is it was made during production of the film.

Trekmovie.com also has some cool promotional images from the time.

http://trekmovie.com/2009/12/12/tmp30-rare-video-and-photos-from-star-trek-the-motion-picture/

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Holy cow! That should have been on the DVD!

And it's interesting to see Persis getting her hair cut. Roddenberry's making of book chronicled the event, and how emotional she was during it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Holy Cow is right! It was tough to watch Persis get her hair cut.

Seeing the Enterprise being built was pretty neat. Hard to believe the TV model was 4 feet longer, yet the movie version was so much more detailed.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
On a side subject. Back in the early 80's I used to live in Marin County, CA. My fathers office was a few buildings down from ILM's old facility in San Rafael. One day I snooping and saw the Enterprise model (The real big one). It was just inside the building. But, they overhead door was open. It was very cool.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Todd, what a treat! I'd have gone up and asked if I could see! I had some buddies who used to go there and dumpster dive and pull out some cool sketches or other tidbits.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
someday, i'm hoping a fan/filmmaker/trek person, someone like a Dennis Okuda would just go and collect every single scrap of TV specials, behind teh scenes footages and so on and release it as one big boxset. out of all movie/tv franchises in my collection, star trek has always been the LEAST endowed when it came to behind the scenes stuff (except the latest 2009 reboot). i remember so many specials on TV for trek from stuff that you guys talked about all the way through even after star trek 6 came out =). SO MANY retrospectives, i actually used to record some of them on VHS, but dont have them anymore. i always assumed that they'd show up on any # of the DVDs releases since those days.

it's REALLY ridiculous how badly paramount mistreats the franchise... when it has been so good to Paramount. *sigh*. just venting... just venting =).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Originally Posted by JediFonger /forum/thread/294077/star-trek-the-motion-picture/30#post_3650042
someday, i'm hoping a fan/filmmaker/trek person, someone like a Dennis Okuda would just go and collect every single scrap of TV specials, behind teh scenes footages and so on and release it as one big boxset. out of all movie/tv franchises in my collection, star trek has always been the LEAST endowed when it came to behind the scenes stuff (except the latest 2009 reboot). i remember so many specials on TV for trek from stuff that you guys talked about all the way through even after star trek 6 came out =). SO MANY retrospectives, i actually used to record some of them on VHS, but dont have them anymore. i always assumed that they'd show up on any # of the DVDs releases since those days.
it's REALLY ridiculous how badly paramount mistreats the franchise... when it has been so good to Paramount. *sigh*. just venting... just venting =).
Huh? Mistreating the franchise??
They just released all the original series on Blu Ray with awesome transfers and great supplements.
They released the original film on Blu Ray with tons of supplements and great transfers (contrary to what I have read) and the Next Generation Films as well.
I think they are treating the franchise just fine.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
which looks like the same transfer w/minor touchups from DVD, which was the same transfer as the VHS/LD, which was probably the same exact print as they used in the cinema.

have u seen TOS on Blu-Ray? now THAT'S how you treat trek. (CBS did that one, not paramount)./

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think you can make a good argument that there is no franchise that gets better treatment than Star Trek. The fans get treated like crap by 'having to' rebuy the same movies and episodes over and over and over and over but that's the fans and not the franchise.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
lol, that's a good one TravisR! lol.

as for myself, i only bought the 2disc SE/CE of trek 10 movies. i skipped VHS/LD/1st run DVDs. for the Blu-Ray, i'm skipping the 1st run single disc ed. of first 6 movies. i grabbed the last 4 movies only because of its audio demo-quality (boxset was really cheap). otherwise i'd've waited for those too. we all know that eventually there'll be a 10movies original TOS/TNG movie set along w/a reboot star trek trilogy BD set.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Originally Posted by JediFonger /img/forum/go_quote.gif">
which looks like the same transfer w/minor touchups from DVD, which was the same transfer as the VHS/LD, which was probably the same exact print as they used in the cinema.
have u seen TOS on Blu-Ray? now THAT'S how you treat trek. (CBS did that one, not paramount).
Have you done a comparison between the old dvd's and the new Blu's?? Have you even seen the new Blu's? I have and the increase in resolution is significant not "minor". I doubt they are the same prints used over and over again. And the TNG Blu's look terrific too.
Good job Paramount

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Star Trek 1, 2, 3, & 5 on Blu range from sub-par to acceptable. 4 and 6 are some of the worst transfers the format has to offer, you could watch them on an iPod and still see the problems. If you can't see whats wrong with them you just don't know what you're looking at, which is not uncommon even on the HTF.
I hear the TNG films aren't bad. I've only seen FC and the noise reduction they use is poor but subtle enough to not ruin the transfer. I'd wager Nemesis is the only transfer worth calling "Good" out of the 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks