Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I just ordered the 10 film "Stardate" Blu Ray set and am having a great trip down memory lane. I'm about to spin up one of my all-time favorites, The Voyage Home.

While doing some research after having viewed the first 3 films I ran across this unexpected gem. Posting here for those who may have missed it when it originally aired as I did.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
I just ordered the 10 film "Stardate" Blu Ray set and am having a great trip down memory lane. I'm about to spin up one of my all-time favorites, The Voyage Home.

While doing some research after having viewed the first 3 films I ran across this unexpected gem. Posting here for those who may have missed it when it originally aired as I did.

awesome!!

Osato

Senior HTF Member

I wish the 50th anniversary series of documentaries that were only included in the set could be purchased.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’ve found the Directors edition on Amazon Prime for sale or rent. Has anyone watched this? How does it look. I know it’s SD only but it’s been so long since I’ve seen it. Purchase is $10, I’m thinking of doing that.

Reactions: Osato

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s the same master as the DVD and looks about the same. If you have iTunes/AppleTV, the SD director’s edition is included as a bonus feature in the HD version of the theatrical cut.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Tino, I have not opened the book yet, it’s still shrink wrapped. I’ve been meaning to. :emoji_open_mouth:

I’ll let you know.

Reactions: Tino

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
image.jpg
Terrific book with great photos and text coveting the entire production, including the Directors cut. A must have for every TMP fan.

Museum Pieces

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Skylar
Just purchased. With credits it only cost me about $20. Delivering Saturday.
View attachment 80669
I'm currently reading this and enjoying the photos, most of which I have never before seen. It reminds me of reading STARLOG back in the day, before TMP came out, and seeing glimpses of it. I was delighted by how much Ralph McQuarrie is in it. The book is really well executed. I'm enjoying the heck out of it and I think you will too.

Reactions: Tino and Osato

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve opened my copy and had a quick flip through it. I’m surprised to see some more materials from Ralph McQuarrie I have not seen before, so that was cool. Ken Adam’s contribution Is mentioned too, hope the text will talk more about that.

I was a little disappointed there wasn’t more coverage of the Enterprise development. There’s never been any really good photos of the completed miniature with its original pearlescent paint job intact. I’ve seen black and white shots of the model just after filming the Motion Picture. There’s a few shots you see it in the space dock sequence. It’s good that Paul Olsen has his name in the book as he is the guy who airbrushed the hull plating. His work influenced the ships that came after. I really think it’s the most magnificent miniature of the film versions of the Enterprise. It has a purity.

There’s also coverage of names like Bob Abel whose name I’ve read about, but never seen what he was known for before and his contribution to the film, so that will be cool to read more about that. I’ve seen blogs and websites from a guy who actually sculpted the ears Leonard Nimoy wears in the film and I’m not sure I see his name in the book. Steve Neil.

I actually met Andy Probert at a convention once, he had a table in the dealers room. I admired his work too on the first film.

I didn’t know that before Syd Mead, there were other people trying to design V’Ger. So I’ll be curious to read about that and Mead’s inputs. I have other Syd Mead books that does a little coverage of Star Trek, but very minimally. his designs for V’Ger was really cool as it has a more organic feel to it.

There’s a quote on one page from Douglas Trumbull that I’m really curious to read in context about the movie, “It made a certain kind of sense, but I think it was really kind of sad that the whole movie as a vision had gotten so badly derailed that it was impossible to get back”. I wonder if the vision is what I’ve always thought of the film.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bhakarubneha