Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
I have the blu ray version running this morning...

looks good. Wish it was the directors cut!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Also!!!

new commentary from inglorious treksperts about tmp coming today!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/inglorioustrek/status/1203225799244967936

they also did a new tmp podcast with guest Bryan Fuller too:

https://mobile.twitter.com/inglorioustrek/status/1203225345198940160
That show with Fuller is one of the reasons I listen to as many podcasts as I do: I always learn something new no matter how well I know the material. The way these guys talk about TMP and the themes and characters...I guess I never stopped to figure all of it out previously. For instance, the idea Spock is a brooding mess at the beginning of the film because he failed Kolinahr and he's essentially embarrassed beyond belief in front of his friends is new for me.

V'Ger wanting empathy and love and emotion-and therefore taking Ilia and not Spock-is another connection I didn't make previously. And I've been watching this movie since I was six years old.

Commentary is today, hopefully.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Jason, I agree the podcast was full of a lot of interesting interpretations of the Motion Picture. This is Fuller’s interpretation and so I took it as his reading. I would never have looked at The Motion Picture as a horror film! That’s a new take. But I can see and understand all his points. Earth and everything in V’ger’s path is in danger!

I didn’t have enough time to watch the whole film this weekend and I watched it up to where Kirk takes command of the Enterprise. In watching the Kolinar sequence, I still seee it the way I saw it the first time. Spock is overwhelmed by V’ger’s conscience/intelligence so he breaks off the acceptance of his completion of Kolinar. Could he be embarrassed? I’m not sure. I think Spock is driven to find V’ger.

V’ger selecting Illia over Spock is a new interpretation and I can see the sense that makes. She’s the more emotional being of the two.

I hope to listen to the commentary too. But I wondered if it’s an entirely new one? Newer then the last one made for Startrek.com

Reactions: Osato

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I didn’t have enough time to watch the whole film this weekend and I watched it up to where Kirk takes command of the Enterprise. In watching the Kolinar sequence, I still seee it the way I saw it the first time. Spock is overwhelmed by V’ger’s conscience/intelligence so he breaks off the acceptance of his completion of Kolinar. Could he be embarrassed? I’m not sure. I think Spock is driven to find V’ger.
I think the great thing about the franchise is the way we can all take a different viewpoint of the material. I'm down with the failure and embarrassment idea because I don't buy V'Ger is so powerful and only one being (ie. Spock) can understand it. Sure, we don't see everyone in the universe, but there has to be some kind of link. What is that link? They're both looking for things they don't have: V'Ger is looking for its creator and Spock is looking for the people and places which were his family.

With his divided mind, he failed at unifying himself to his Vulcan side. And, hence, failed at Kolinar. That's a failure for him and something he doesn't really have experience in. Spock and Kirk always win.

Like I said, we can all find a different interpretation...and they all work. As long as they're reasonable and grounded in what's on screen.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
I just finished my 2 day trek of watching both the dir edition and the theatrical version of the movie.

I watched in iTunes from the 10 film set.

I didn’t quite do what Nelson did earlier in this topic. He watched the director first then the theatrical. I switched from one to the other by watching about 5-7 minutes of one then switching over to the other for 5-10 minutes or so.

It was a fun experiment. Got to see all the differences
basically in real time.
One stand out scene that was not in theatrical was when Kirk calls Scotty over the radio and orders him to action star-navy-order "2005".
After that we witness the bridge crew all clearly realizing what is going to happen we also see Scotty in engineering being asked by a crew member about the order.
It’s a great scene.

So I like the dir edition more then the theatrical.
Many slightly different versions of the same scene, subtle changes like different camera angles.

One other observation, well two, V-Ger went to a Machine planet.
From the way Spock describes it seems like It May have found the original Borg planet.
Spock at one point while they are trying to escape V-Ger said something we’ve heard before.
Maybe not an exact quote but close, “To resist would be futile,” Very Familiar.
So I believe V found the Borg home planet.

Anyhow. Love ST:TMP Director Edition.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
I just finished my 2 day trek of watching both the dir edition and the theatrical version of the movie.

I watched in iTunes from the 10 film set.

I didn’t quite do what Nelson did earlier in this topic. He watched the director first then the theatrical. I switched from one to the other by watching about 5-7 minutes of one then switching over to the other for 5-10 minutes or so.

It was a fun experiment. Got to see all the differences
basically in real time.
One stand out scene that was not in theatrical was when Kirk calls Scotty over the radio and orders him to action star-navy-order "2005".
After that we witness the bridge crew all clearly realizing what is going to happen we also see Scotty in engineering being asked by a crew member about the order.
It’s a great scene.

So I like the dir edition more then the theatrical.
Many slightly different versions of the same scene, subtle changes like different camera angles.

One other observation, well two, V-Ger went to a Machine planet.
From the way Spock describes it seems like It May have found the original Borg planet.
Spock at one point while they are trying to escape V-Ger said something we’ve heard before.
Maybe not an exact quote but close, “To resist would be futile,” Very Familiar.
So I believe V found the Borg home planet.

Anyhow. Love ST:TMP Director Edition.
cool way to watch it. I still prefer the directors cut for watching it. I will put the theatrical Blu Ray in at times too. Interesting that the original audio is not included on the blu ray. Just the 7.1 mix.

I love the directors cut and I like the Audubon on the finished cut better as well.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have taken a turn in my attitude towards the theatrical cut. The end result of the film is the same in either cut, but the journey is slightly different in the Directors Edition. The DE definitely made improvements to finish the effects that were not completed and there are slight editorial changes that fine tunes the flow and feel and character motivations in the film I want to see in a proper remastered edition. But while I like the new visuals that help show Vulcan as it was intended and the bridge that V’ger makes so Kirk and crew can walk out to meet V’Ger help a lot, it’s the slight fine tuning of the edit I think really makes a bigger difference.

I have come to see the Theatrical Cut as a valid cut. It was what was released and the original form that was made public from 1979 to 2001.

The longer version is another variant that’s kind of like the Superman TV cut where scenes were cut back in to make the length longer for TV. It’s an interesting thing to see.

But ultimately the Directors Edition is the one to watch.

I’ve been watching the Theatrical Cut more recently initially because it’s a better looking release in high definition, and as such, I gained a new appreciation for it. Plus it’s become nostalgic as I go back to that day in 1979 when I first saw it. It’s reminded me of what it was like to be a fan at that time. It’s such a different landscape now after having had 18 straight years of Berman Star Trek and now CBS Star Trek. There was nothing then. so Star Trek The Motion Picture is a really big deal.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Can we pleeease get a 4K disc? Tired of waiting. One of the reasons I even bought into 4K was the promise of STII TWOK, but even that never materialized. I just don't get it.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Can we pleeease get a 4K disc? Tired of waiting. One of the reasons I even bought into 4K was the promise of STII TWOK, but even that never materialized. I just don't get it.
agreed. Paramount doesn’t make any sense these days.

Tino

Premium
Real Name
Valentino
It actually has, at least digitally. The iTunes stream is 4K/HDR and looks tremendous!

Tommy R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tommy
I really need to watch the DC again soon, but would have to buy the DVD again. I had it years ago with one of those sets of all the 2-disc special editions. I sold it when the blu rays came out. I only watched it the one time and honestly don’t remember how much of a difference it was.

I grew up on the “longer” version on LaserDisc, but most recently have been watching the theatrical cut on the blu ray. I’ve watched that maybe 4 or 5 times over the last 10 years. So maybe if I watch the other versions againI’ll discern the differences. I only really remember the “I weep for Vger” line of Spock’s near the end is missing in the theatrical.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
I really need to watch the DC again soon, but would have to buy the DVD again. I had it years ago with one of those sets of all the 2-disc special editions. I sold it when the blu rays came out. I only watched it the one time and honestly don’t remember how much of a difference it was.

I grew up on the “longer” version on LaserDisc, but most recently have been watching the theatrical cut on the blu ray. I’ve watched that maybe 4 or 5 times over the last 10 years. So maybe if I watch the other versions againI’ll discern the differences. I only really remember the “I weep for Vger” line of Spock’s near the end is missing in the theatrical.
The dc of tmp is included as an extra on iTunes with the Star Trek films collection too.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I have taken a turn in my attitude towards the theatrical cut. The end result of the film is the same in either cut, but the journey is slightly different in the Directors Edition. The DE definitely made improvements to finish the effects that were not completed and there are slight editorial changes that fine tunes the flow and feel and character motivations in the film I want to see in a proper remastered edition. But while I like the new visuals that help show Vulcan as it was intended and the bridge that V’ger makes so Kirk and crew can walk out to meet V’Ger help a lot, it’s the slight fine tuning of the edit I think really makes a bigger difference...
I understand that they were constrained by a low budget, but I'm not a fan of the new effects. They take me out of the film, and I absolutely hate that they added that wide shot of the Vger exterior.

• Agreed
Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Since I agreed with him, I’ll offer my reasoning:

The idea of the V’Ger cloud and vessel is that it’s so unbelievably massive and so alien that we (as human audience members, with Kirk and crew as our proxy) can barely comprehend it. As shown (or not) in the original cuts of the film, it’s more mystery than object - it’s not dissimilar from the way you barely see the shark in Jaws.

I liked that V’Ger was nearly incomprehensible from a human perspective.

When they put in those new effects, it took away from that mysterious aura. Instead of V’Ger being alien beyond my comprehension, it’s just a thing in a ship. Sure, it’s a bigger ship than Enterprise, but it’s still something I can see and understand. I just find it reductive - instead of Kirk facing off against something that no one has ever seen before, it’s just Kirk against a bigger ship, something we’ve seen many times before.

Osato

Senior HTF Member

Finally today, we have an update on a story we posted a couple weeks ago: You may recall that Bruce Botnick, the original score mixer for Robert Wise’s Star Trek: The Motion Picture, mentioned in a YouTube interview that he was remixing the score for Dolby Atmos. Well, we’ve now confirmed with Paramount—and Director’s Edition restoration supervisor Mike Matessino has confirmed it as well—that Botnick was talking about a music demo on the format only. Paramount wasn’t even aware of the project until they read about it on The Bits. And multiple sources tell me that the 4K film restoration project on the title is currently at on hold at the studio. The pandemic has made all of the Hollywood studios more risk-adverse in terms of spending money right now, so essentially Paramount has hit the pause button on the project. We’ll keep our eyes open on this and update you as we hear more. Actually, let me rephrase that: We know a good deal more than we can post right now, but suffice it to say that when things begin to move forward again (and we can talk about it), we’ll let you know here.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhishHead00