star trek the cage question: how does the dvd look?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan L B, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

since the show and the episode is so old, i was wandering how does it look and how is that 5.1 remix

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

The 5.1 remixes on all ST:TOS eps are weak, but the show was made for mono and really that's how it should be viewed: in OSP (Original Soundtrack Presentation).
    The show itself looks great, both in the all-color and the color/B&W mix versions.
    A real steal for the $14.99 you'll find it for at most places, such as Best Buy...don't pay a penny more!
    [​IMG] Live Long and Prosper

3. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

The color version of "The Cage", in the Volume 40 TOS set, looks surprisingly good. The sonics are not outstanding, but the 5.1 mix actually provides quite a bit of ambient sound on the bridge and down on the planet.

The "combo" Black-and-White/Color version even looks great for all the color scenes, which were culled from "The Menagerie" ep.

Only the pure black and white scenes looked and sounded their age.

All in all, a great presentation of a great episode!!

4. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

what is so bad about the 5.1 remix. also, is the cage a mix between black and white and color or is it two seperate episodes

5. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    The all color "The Cage" looks and sounds great to me. At least much better than my previous laserdisc all color version.

The Color/B&W version however has the original mono mix if no-one else noticed. And the color parts are flatter (sort of pasty) looking - more like the laserdisc overall.

It looks as if Paramount made no real attempt at cleaning up and remastering the Color/B&W version other than a straight film-to-video transfer.

Joel

6. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

You must remember that the all-color version of "The Cage" was taken from a print discovered years ago in the Paramount Archives. The earlier BW/color hybrid was edited from the color footage from "The Menagerie" and Roddenberry's personal BW print of "The Cage" as that was all Paramount had to work with at the time.

Since most of the soundtrack on the rediscovered color print was assumed damaged, the soundtrack from the earlier BW/color hybrid was synched to the picture.

Other than that, the all-color version is the best print of the original pilot that now exists. Thank the Maker for Paramount!

7. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I'd be curious to know if anyone actually PREFERS to watch the B&W/color version over the restored full color one. Personally, I think the latter's a waste of DVD space; the Roddenberry comments are useful, but I'd never watch the crummy-looking version of the show itself - the full color one is MUCH more satisfying...