What's new

Star Trek The Animated Series (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Hi all,

I have star trek the animated series on dvd and like the show. I like how some of the episodes tied back to the Star Trek TOS - see below

1. Mudd's Passion brings back Roger C Carmel

2. Once upon a Planet (Shore Leave episode)

3. Yesteryear (City on edge forever, amok time)

4. More Tribbles, More Troubles (Trouble with Tribbles)

5. Lorelei Signal (You could argue this episode has similarities to Spock's Brain as women controlled the men)

6. One of our planets is missing (This episode has a cloud, which could be very similar to the obsession episode. The episode also had Bob Wesley, who was introduced in the Ultimate Computer)

7. Infinite Vulcan (This episode could be tied to the eugenics war that were mentioned in SPACE SEED)

8. The magicks of Megas-tu (this episode has simiarities to Plato Step Children)

I welcome other comments!!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I too love the series, and scooped it up on DVD when it was eventually released. Before that, I taped all twenty-two episodes off of the television and eventually bought the episodes which were pre-recorded (blue boxes). These included two shows-per-tape.

On the DVD set, I really enjoy the special features (particularly those of D. C. Fontana). I don't know which episodes are my favorites, but I do like those you mention above, as well as The Counter-Clock Incident. One of the neat things about the series is that it gave us the first non-Vulcan aliens (Arex and M'Ress) to serve on the Enterprise, and it also gave us a glimpse into the forerunner of the holodeck in at least one episode.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Ockeghem said:
I too love the series, and scooped it up on DVD when it was eventually released. Before that, I taped all twenty-two episodes off of the television and eventually bought the episodes which were pre-recorded (blue boxes). These included two shows-per-tape.

On the DVD set, I really enjoy the special features (particularly those of D. C. Fontana). I don't know which episodes are my favorites, but I do like those you mention above, as well as The Counter-Clock Incident. One of the neat things about the series is that it gave us the first non-Vulcan aliens (Arex and M'Ress) to serve on the Enterprise, and it also gave us a glimpse into the forerunner of the holodeck in at least one episode.

The BEM episode is also good, because it introduced a new character/member to the Federation of Planet. The Practical Joker episode was good as you mention it showed the Halodeck!!

It is too bad the cartoon did not get the same fan fare as the regular show. The cartoon has placed in time with me!! There was talked I thought I heard from George Takei about bringing the cartoon back as way to end the 5 years tour of duty. The problem is many people have said the cartoon is not part of the Star Trek time line!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
younger1968 said:
The problem is many people have said the cartoon is not part of the Star Trek time line!
And yet they still work in most of Yesteryear as "official" Vulcan canon.
(Up to that point, a Sehlat was only one throwaway joke line in Journey to Babel, and the rite-of-passage ritual didn't even exist in the fan canon.)

I just put it down as a noble failure, like Filmation's attempt to do their Flash Gordon series--
They wanted to do "serious" adventure Saturday morning, but how serious are you going to get with the He-Man animators trotting out their library music, morals-of-the-week and static Archies tricks?
Still, I give it credit for proposing the idea of reuniting the cast, a full four years before anyone thought of doing a movie--Between this and the Gilligan's Island series, Saturday morning first invented the idea of classic-TV reunions/movies.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Ejanss said:
And yet they still work in most of Yesteryear as "official" Vulcan canon.
(Up to that point, a Sehlat was only one throwaway joke line in Journey to Babel, and the rite-of-passage ritual didn't even exist in the fan canon.)

I just put it down as a noble failure, like Filmation's attempt to do their Flash Gordon series--
They wanted to do "serious" adventure Saturday morning, but how serious are you going to get with the He-Man animators trotting out their library music, morals-of-the-week and static Archies tricks?
Still, I give it credit for proposing the idea of reuniting the cast, a full four years before anyone thought of doing a movie--Between this and the Gilligan's Island series, Saturday morning first invented the idea of classic-TV reunions/movies.

I like the yesteryear episode as it had Sarek (Mark Lenard) in it. The sehlet was also cool to see as mention spock called it a giant teddy bear with fangs!!

The once upon a planet was a good episode as it played homage to the "Shore Leave episode".

It was also neat with the animated series - see below

1. The Ambergris Element - This episode was good as it introduced the aqua shuttle!

2. Slaver Weapon was also a good episode as well

3. Pirates of Orion episode was a good one as well. Pirates of Orion also showed up in Star Trek Enterprise episode

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
The Obsolete Man said:
While CBS/P is on their remastering kick, I'd love to see TAS redone with modern animation, where the characters actually move.
what, like a CGI overhaul of all the ep's, apparently there was one episode written by DC Fontana that was never done, how great would it be to get the original cast back to do the voice work for a "new" one

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
dana martin said:
what, like a CGI overhaul of all the ep's, apparently there was one episode written by DC Fontana that was never done, how great would it be to get the original cast back to do the voice work for a "new" one
Basically, yeah. Just go in, use the voice and effects tracks, and reanimate 'em wholesale... in widescreen even, so they can be "futureproofed".

A nice animation style like... well, obviously not as detailed as Pixar's work, but maybe something along the lines of the reanimated Doctor Who episodes.

A pipe dream, I know, but it would get TAS back out there.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
TAS does not get enough credit for being a very decent Star Trek series. I watched it from time to time as I am huge TOS as such I viewed the TAS as extension of Star Trek.

William Shatner mention he wanted to do another Tribbles episode, but the TOS was cancelled before its fourth season as such the cartoon allow Shatner to do another Tribbles episode.

There are some really well done episodes with TAS, especially the story lines. I can not say the episode that is best, but can say there are many that were well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks