What's new

Star Trek: The Animated Series on 3/15? (1 Viewer)

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
IGN.com has Star Trek:TAS coming out on 3/15 along with the SE of Star Trek First Contact. I haven't been able to find this anywhere else so I don't know how valid the date is, but if it's true, it's great news.

Xander

Auditioning
Trekweb have also listed that date as the release of ST:TAS. I can't post links, so go to Trekweb dot com, click Schedule and it will be at the bottom left of the page.

Also, don't know if anyone has posted this before, but Trekweb has released specs of Star Trek First Contact SE:

The DVD set will contain a new audio commentary from actor/director Jonathan Frakes and screenwriters Brannon Braga and Ronald D. Moore and a textual commentary by Michael and Denise Okuda.

In addition, the bonus disk for the DVD set will include these featurettes: "The STAR TREK Universe" (a collection of programs such as "Jerry Goldsmith: A Tribute", "The Legacy of Zefram Cochrane" and "First Contact: The Possibilities"), "The Borg Collective" (featuring "Unimatrix One", "The Queen" and "Design Matrix"), "FIRST CONTACT Production" (featuring "The Story", "The Missle Silo", "The Deflector Dish", "From "A" to "E", "Making FIRST CONTACT" and "The Art of FIRST CONTACT"), "Scene Desconstruction" (featuring "Borg Queen Assembly", "Escape Pod Launch" and "Borg Queen's Demise"), extensive storyboards, a production gallery, and the film's theatrical teaser and trailer. No deleted scenes will be include this time.

Xander

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
Those are some great features for this film, I can't wait to get it. Anyone else expect the TAS sets to still carry the high price are the other sets just because it's star trek?

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I got bootlegs of the cartoon a few years ago and they were pretty horrible but glad people are going to be able to see it for the first time.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have the TAS laserdisc box set and yes, they can be horrible. Though I think the thing that is less then steller is the execution of the animation and not anything you can fault too much on the writing. Art direction and character designs of the new characters were the weakest aspect. And yeah, some of the stories were weak.

It would be an interesting exercise to have the series redone with today's technology and CGI the animation with new art direction, and reuse the actors recordings.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I'd be interested to see them redo a couple of episodes too, but of course, only if they released the original versions too.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
If Trek cartoons were ever redone (we are assuming of course using the same voice tracks and making no script changes) I'd like to hear some authentic Trek TV music used in place of the very repetitive Filmation music that was used in all of their live action programs like Shazam as well. (Won't happen, but that would improve the product greatly IMO)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just saw a story on trekweb that the future of The Animated Star Trek series may or may not be coming out from Paramount Home video. TV Shows On DVD's David Lambert is quoted as saying that it is really Columbia House who has been said to be releasing the series. Martin Blythe is quoted as saying that the series is not going to be released on DVD from Paramount.

Confused? trekweb story

I hope the demise of Enterprise is not a sign of the future of the Trek franchise. Though I doubt that Paramount is going to drop the franchise for good, they know what they have.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I'd say there is absolutely no connection between the cancellation of Enterprise and the confusion surrounding The Animated Series on DVD. Let's face it, TAS is a niche product, even for Trek fans... and the failure of the most recent series has not slowed the planned re-releases of the films in Special Editions. Plus, if there is/was any truth to the March 15 date for TAS, the production of the set would have already been well under way by the time Enterprise was cancelled.

Martin Blythe told me not to believe the March 15 date before a decision was made about Enterprise. This does not mean that the product hasn't been licensed out to CH - but we just won't know until CH gets around to it. It also doesn't mean that plans for the set are cancelled, even if Paramount is distributing. The studio likes to keep secrets, on occasion.

I'm sure The Powers That Be at Paramount are probably going to want to take a step back and evaluate the franchise, as far as new productions go. Rick Berman has been working on plans for a new feature. If we're lucky, Paramount will take a break and go with someone who can take a fresh approach to the franchise.

As for TV productions... as much as I like Star Trek, I think a break of a couple of years could do the franchise some good.

-Scott

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well said Scott, I chose my words poorly. I didn't want to say that the end of Enterprise meant the end of Star Trek DVD product. Without really thinking through the story, it kind of looks like the timing was coincidental.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd pick up the TAS series, if it was priced accordingly. I can't bring myself to spend $100 plus on the any of the other ST seasons, so we well have to see.

The weekest part of the animated series too me is the voice acting by the original cast. It is so stilted it's hard to believe it's the same people.

MichaelColvin

Stunt Coordinator
Any updates on this release? I'd love to see it released. Since there are only 22 episodes over both seasons, it'd be great to have this released in one set.

Plus there are some great interviews alread done about TAS from D.C. Fontatna over on Star Trek.com

Place it around the $50 price point and it'd sell great.

Luc_M

Auditioning
Last I heard (on TvShowsOnDvd.com), TAS will not be released this year. In 2006, probably. And yeah, it should normally be a single "complete series" package.

Peter Raber

Stunt Coordinator
Well if that price comes to pass they can count me out.

Paying that or $10 for a full season of TOS is one thing. Those are at least 50 minute episodes and a minimum of 24 episodes. Season one having 29 and season 2 having 26.

No way does Paramount get my money for TAS if they want that much.

Now $39.95 definitely, $49.95 maybe, but that's as high as I go.

Eric F

Screenwriter
This is what Columbia House is for.

Geez, milk that ST until nothing is left. At least the fans revoloted with Enterprise.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Sarcastic? Well while I'd like to think that I was - I suspect that Paramount will list this for a mad stupid price too. If it's not going out the door for anything less than 60, I'll be shocked.

Oh, and it'll come in some really lame package too. Like a lifelike replica of Bill Shatner's head or somthing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks