What's new

Star Trek: The 5 Year Mission - Alternate Cover Art (1 Viewer)

Rick P

Supporting Actor
As far as The Animated Series, no plans, at least until they are officially released. BTW, I bid on the LD Box Set on Ebay recently, but it ended up going for more than a hundred bucks!
Actually $100 is about the going rate... I remeber when it came out it was like $70 (or is my mind fading). I transferred my LD set to DVD-R a while back (fits nicely on 5 disc) and have them stuck in a 5 disc case with a rather poor spine...

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
My computer crashed big time this week. Fortunately, I think I was able to back up all of my Star Trek files. I'll find out next week when I get back from vacation. Wish me luck.

Ric

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Greg!

I was going to return to this today, but I got sidetracked! I'm obviously going to go with the shot of the Enterprise. I still have to decide what text for the fronts: "Space the Final Frontier" vs "Year One of the Five Year Mission". I think I am leaning toward the latter. I would be too tempted to try to make the pictures match the text if I went with the former, and that has been proving a little difficult. I think I'll still leave the "Space, the Final..." on the spines.

Anyway, I'll probably just post all 5 completed covers when I'm finished. So if anyone has any thoughts... Get them in soon!

Live Long and Prosper.
Ric

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
OK, Here we go...

Bigger View

Bigger View

Bigger View

Bigger View

Bigger View

I went back to the Space the Final frontier quotes, since there were many objections to my "5 Years, 5 cases idea" from the friendly folks over at DVD Cover Art. They thought too many die-hard trkkies would revolt!

I tried to give each cover a different header on the back. Volume 2 seems a little clumsy to me. I was originally going to try to point out hi-lights of each set. But that kinda went buh-bye. (Volume 3 originally said "Alternate Universes, Giant Space Anomalies and Overbearing Dictators with Delusions of Godhood!"

I was going to change that last bit cuz, it was a Klingon referring to Kirk! (I though it was kinda funny, though!) Then I dropped it altogether because I switched rear pics on 3 and 4. 4 looks alot like 2 so I needed to separate them a bit. Anyway, after I did that, I ended up with less room on the top back of Volume 3 so I wanted to keep it short.

Should I change the header line on Volume 2's back cover? What should it be?

Is the "Captain James T. Kirk: Commanding" on the back covers too redundant? Should it be just "James T. Kirk: Commanding"?

Please let me know what you all think, I would like to finalize these soon! Any you writers and proof-readers... that means you too!

BTW, Does anyone have that actual Mathew Peak print from the last cover? I sure wouldn't nind a scan of that baby!

Ric

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
So, um...

Any thoughts on the covers? Likes? Dislikes? I have printed them up and I think they look alot better than the old ones. Although, I think I gave Spock too much of a green tint on Volume 4! Looked ok in the monitor but a liitle too much on paper. I have since adjusted it.

I realize the rest of the crew got short shrift (Only appearing on the back of the last cover), but let's face it. This show was about the Big Three. McCoy doesn't join Kirk and Spock on the covers until Volume 3 because he was not in the opening credits until season 2. That's my reasoning anyway.

Like I said before, I am probably the only one that will go through the trouble of putting them in five 7 disc cases with an "Add a page" for an 8th disc. Plus, now with the rumor of them finally releasing the season boxsets after Voyager, many of you will be waiting for that. But for us "Early Adopters" I wanted to make something that was more inline with my other ST sets.

Anyway, your thoughts and opinions are always appreciated.

Ric

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Ric, I think they look great....but I don't have any TOS discs to use them with. But with The Digital Bits saying that season sets will be coming out in late 2004 or 2005, I'll be keeping these in mind.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Ric,
They look great. I will be getting the Season sets, but unless they are just FANTASTIC, I will be using your covers instead. These TOS covers are easily some of your best.

Excellent work!

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
All I can say is.... spectacular! Lookin' forward to downloading 'em Ric!!!

...and I know it's been said already... but Paramount should really be getting YOU to do their covers... :D

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
I have a suggestion...and free advice from me is worth exactly what you pay for it.:D

Since the spine pic is the ship, maybe a couple of screen grabs from episodes or full cast shots would add variety to the back covers, instead of more shots of the ship?

And did Shatner pay you off to NOT include anyone but the "Big 3" on all 5 front covers?:D

Of course, I love your work, and have all your covers for TNG and DS9. Thanks for your efforts.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
And did Shatner pay you off to NOT include anyone but the "Big 3" on all 5 front covers?
Yes.

Actually, since I featured all the regulars on my first set, I thought I would do this one reflecting the opening credits. McCoy did not get on the intro's until season 2, that's why it's just Kirk and Spock on the covers of the first two. I mean let's face it, as much as we like the whole cast, this show was about the "Big 3". The other ST incarnations became much more of an ensemble thing.

As for all the ship shots, I love that ship and never tire of seeing it! I've never been too comfortable with screen shots on the back (especially menu shots!). I just think they are too small unless I try to give it a collage type look. There is also less room for text, and I wanted to get all the episodes on the back as opposed to inserts.

Anyway, that's my reasoning.

The typo on Volume 5 has been corrected and Parker also updated the page to give more detail on which set takes what cases! Thanks, Parker!

Ric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks