What's new

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (2022) - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Well, some people are not necessarily going to be bothered by all the switching back and forth. I watched TOS when it originally aired on NBC in the 60s, and I don't recall ever giving the inconsistencies a second thought. I was just thrilled to watch each episode as it was broadcast. But then, I was 13 at the time, and things like the color of Uhura's uniform wasn't something worth noting beyond maybe a "hunh".

And that provides an answer to your question, "Why airdate order?" If one wanted to experience the show as original viewers did in the 60s, it would make sense to see the episodes in the order that original viewers saw them.

I didn't see an answer to my question. All I saw was that you don't care. And why does anyone "want to experience" the show as original viewers did? It was an arbitrary order that no one would remember if the reruns and DVDs weren't shown that way.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
First, enough with the "real fans" nonsense that is built into your "if you want to understand Star Trek" comment. I understand Star Trek quite well, thank you very much. I also understand viewing art with a critical, contemplative, objective (sometimes) eye--this allows one to step back from "fandom" and escape some (not all) of the pitfalls.

Second, while I agree production order makes sense with TOS, it does not TNG onward. As I wrote: I rewatch the franchise and not just TOS.

First, don't tell me what I mean between the lines. I say what I mean and mean what I say directly. And whoop-de-doo, you watch the franchise. I wasn't writing about the franchise, I was writing about TOS. And you'd understand it better if you'd watched it in production order.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I didn't see an answer to my question. All I saw was that you don't care. And why does anyone "want to experience" the show as original viewers did? It was an arbitrary order that no one would remember if the reruns and DVDs weren't shown that way.

You did see an answer to your question: "And that provides an answer to your question, "Why airdate order?" If one wanted to experience the show as original viewers did in the 60s, it would make sense to see the episodes in the order that original viewers saw them."

The fact that you reject that answer doesn't mean the answer was never presented.

"And why does anyone "want to experience" the show as original viewers did? It was an arbitrary order that no one would remember if the reruns and DVDs weren't shown that way.

I don't know why anyone might want to do that, but I at least acknowledge that the possibility exists. A lot of fans (of anything, not just Star Trek) obsess about things that to me, seem absurd. Why do they care about this stuff? But just because I can't see a reason for it doesn't invalidate their reasons.

What it all boils down to is that you think airdate order is silly and arbitrary. And because you think it's silly and arbitrary, you expect that everyone else must feel the same way. But not everyone agrees with everyone else about everything. And their reasons, as silly as you think they are, aren't necessarily silly to someone else.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Sometimes airdate is right: Best of Both Worlds II has production code 175 (according to Wikipedia ), and the ep aired after it was Family, which is obviously correct, but its code is 178. In between code-wise are Brothers (177) and Suddenly Human (176), also aired backwards (in that order).

I raise this because here in Singapore, the eps were aired per production code, so I had the confusing experience of watching Family well after Best of Both Worlds II, when it most obviously should have been immediately after. Instead we got Suddenly Human first, with Captain Picard back in the chair and off into space already. And yet a few eps later he's home recuperating?

Sometimes, airdate is wrong: offhand the best example I can raise is Firefly, where the pilot should've been aired first, to introduce teh characters and set up the series, but as we all know the network wanted something more flashy and aired The Train Job first.

So: it depends.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s just tough to sustain that conversation when there’s so little information on the show along with the likelihood that it’ll be 2-3 years in a best case scenario before we see it.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
In the meanwhile, there is this. Not exactly news to any of use but ....

EVERYTHING WE KNOW SO FAR ABOUT THE LATEST STAR TREK SPINOFF, STRANGE NEW WORLDS

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Having just finished the second season of "Discovery", I'm really excited for this. I wonder if any of the Enterprise bridge crew from the "Such Sweet Sorrow" two-parter will be series regulars alongside Mount, Romijn, and Peck?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yeoman Colt is credited in Such Sweet Sorrow. I didn’t know that was Colt until it was pointed out and I didn’t like that Colt was an alien. I don’t believe that she or it was named by anyone during the episodes. I’ll have to rewatch it to see. So it would be cool if Colt comes back as a human female. I know it’s the fashionable thing to do now to do gender swaps when recasting, but this one didn’t feel right for a character to change species whose role wasn’t that large, but still had an impact in The Cage.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Last night I finally watched two Short Treks, Q&A and Ask Not. I had been avoiding watching any of the new Short Treks until Picard started, but I never got around to it.

I get why the Short Treks are meant to look at many different facets of Star Trek from totally different points of view. But I had trouble engaging in many of them. So I appreciated the two Short Treks with the cast of Strange New Worlds. of course they didn’t know at the time that Strange New Worlds was coming.

I found Q&A somewhat interesting and definitely engaging. There was never a chance before to explore what Number One’s background or personality was like. So this was interesting to see that different side. Also I’ve never thought of Spock as ever being an ensign. So that was surprising too and there was a bit addressing Spock’s behavior as a younger version and also touches on The Cage where he raises his voice.

I liked Ask Not too. I sort of figured it would turn out as it did, but not exactly like it did. It’s was good acting too. At the end, the look at the Engineering section was interesting. I’m glad it wasn’t quite like the Kelvin version, but it’s pretty close and way past the TOS and TNG versions. Not sure I can go with it.

But I did really enjoy both Short Treks and look forward to how the new series will go. It was a really nice taste of the potential.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I found Q&A somewhat interesting and definitely engaging. There was never a chance before to explore what Number One’s background or personality was like. So this was interesting to see that different side.

This was an example of having fun with the characters, rather than at the expense of the characters

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes Jerry. I would never have expected Number One to do what she did in the turbo lift. :). It was never anything I would have imagined seeing Majel Barrett do as Number One. So it was fun to see that side of her.

And then they are playing up Spock’s human side, I didn’t expect that.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I finally watched The Trouble with Edward the other night. I wasn’t fully aware of the content of the story, but I was a little hesitant to see it as I had a sense it might be a comedy.

I was a little surprised by the story as it unfolded and had so many questions. But the way it ended and especially the added commercial at the end really put it way over the top. So I didn’t take it seriously. I saw this as a what-if story and it was done for fun. Sort of like a fan film. They took the events of one TOS episode way over the top!

Things that went through my mind was how was Edward’s research not known to McCoy via the Enterprise’s library computer. How could a insubordinate like Edward still be serving in Starfleet when the story begins. I guess he was hiding on that research ship.

I can appreciate the effort in making this short. But I don’t love it or hate it. I thought it was amusing For what it is.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Colt, I hope that as Strange New Worlds has been developed, the producers decide to make her character human again. In Discovery, it was never clear, to me at least, that her character is named on screen in the dialogue. The actress is credited in the end credits as Colt and on screen, she’s an alien. So maybe they could make her human again and perhaps still Pike’s yeoman.

It will be interesting too if the doctor will be Boyce and if the navigator will be Tyler. Also CPO Garison was at the communications station.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks