What's new

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (2022) - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I’m excited about this as well. Even though we haven’t yet finished season two of Discovery, I’ve loved Anson Mount’s Pike.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the quotes and link Sam. I just read the article. It sounds good! I want to watch The Cage again after reading all this news!

That wasn’t a back handed way to say something bad about the new show and the Kurtzman reign. I saw some of the comments here and in that Variety article. I can understand the negativity towards Bad Robot’s influence and having Kurtzman as the overall head of all new Star Trek on CBS All Access. (Would that be considered the TV division now verses Paramount and the Theatrical arm? I guess that’s kind of gray now as streaming isn’t broadcast TV, but it is transmitted to homes.) I am not a fan of the Abrams Star Trek, but you guys know is that. ;)

This is a pretty amazing time we’re in. We lived through the rebirth of Star Trek in the late 80’s through to the end of with Enterprise and now it’s back. It’s not the same Star Trek I grew up on. But life is full of changes. I am going to continue to consume it and enjoy it for what it is. I hope the next seasons of Discovery and Picard are good. They have been good and I looked forward to each new episodes. And because we love TOS, I’m looking forward to what this group will do with new adventures of Captain Pike and the Enterprise. They are saying a lot of things that we want to hear.

And I was kind of musing out loud earlier about the uniforms. What would they do or might do to tie it to TOS. I guess we will see. I know they will not be copies of TOS. They just have to do what they feel is right and works for a modern audience. So I really doubt we’ll see the uniforms and sets like we saw them do in Enterprise when Archer’s crew board the Defiant.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Don’t worry about All Access, by the time the show is ready it’ll be on ViacomCBS :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I just wish Kurtzman and Goldsman weren't involved in the creative direction of every Trek show. It's sort of similar to the mistake that was made during the Berman/Braga era. If they want the various shows to really stand out from one another, they should have completely different creative teams involved in each of them.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
On one hand, I don’t disagree.

On the other hand - this show exists because that team hit a home run doing Discovery Season 2, and the very thing I want is more of what they did there.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah, I'm done.

It's clear now that Star Trek died in 2005, and I can safely ignore the nostalgia bait Memberberry Zombie that ViacomCBS keeps pimping out to keep suckers subscribed to their streaming service.

I would say "call me when there's something fresh and new", but that won't happen under Kurtzman and CBS because there can't be a show without Spawk.

wellthat’s not too insulting or condescending.

Anyway I love this idea.
Too bad we won’t see it until 2022

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I couldn't be more enthusiastic about a new Trek show than this one. I loved Mount's performance as Pike, as he actually has the gravitas and acting chops to anchor a show like Stewart/Mulgrew did on their respective shows. I am also very pleased to hear they're going back towards classic Trek with contained episodes and optimistic values.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Wonder how many episodes this will last, until the crew reaches Talos IV (in The Cage).

About -6, seeing as they already returned to Talos IV in STD: S2.

I am going to look up Anson Mount on IMDB and see what his body of work is. I was totally unfamiliar with him until STD:S2 and really liked his performance.

Last edited:

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
About -6, seeing as they already returned to Talos IV in STD: S2.

I am going to look up Anson Mount on IMDB and see what his body of work is. I was totally unfamiliar with him until STD:S2 and really liked his performance.
I'd never heard of him before STD: S2 either, but was very impressed. He also has a really cool podcast that he does with a friend called The Well

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Let me jump on the Anson Mount appreciate bandwagon by linking to a piece he wrote in our local newspaper about my city and province:

I ran into him a few times while he was shooting Hell on Wheels here. He's one of the best.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Let me jump on the Anson Mount appreciate bandwagon by linking to a piece he wrote in our local newspaper about my city and province:

I ran into him a few times while he was shooting Hell on Wheels here. He's one of the best.

That’s a great piece. My wife is from the South, and she already loves him, but when I showed her this, she said he’s her favorite. “Such a gentleman,” she said.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
It definitely sounds like the people making this get exactly what we are saying in this thread. Here's Goldsman in Variety:

Except Goldsman considers DS9 closer to TOS then TNG. Um, not.
Not on a number of levels: optimism, politics, dark tones, starship vs falling apart station, episodic vs arc.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I'd never heard of him before STD: S2 either, but was very impressed. He also has a really cool podcast that he does with a friend called The Well

Thanks. I checked out the first one, and it was outstanding. A great tale about a whaling shipwreck survival story (and more), which greatly influenced Melville (Moby Dick).

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I searched for “The Well” and got a piss pot full of religious podcasts. Searching by his name, narrowed it down a lot more.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Here's one thing I always loved about The Cage (and The Menagerie and TOS), when they visited a strange planet, it looked like the frontier. This was in the early years of the space program, when people had seen pictures of the moon's surface but man was still 5 years from landing on it, and it was during the heyday of the western, when the American West was being shown in people's homes and on movie screens constantly. Those were our notions of the frontier, and Star Trek reflected that in an outer space way. Sure, it's a set, same as that in The Galileo 7, Where No Man Has Gone Before, and many other episodes, but it's evocative. I love the sky in this shot.

thecagehd0437.jpg

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Yes, there should be character growth over the course of a series. That's a different thing than having one main plot that takes nine months to tell. My favorite Star Trek is probably Deep Space Nine, for its healthy combination of stand-alone stories, serialized arcs, and characters who change over the course of time.

While DS9 is also my favorite of the Trek series, it has (for me) the most egregious of the "what happens in this episode stays in this episode" character bits. And that was the episode where O'Brien is convicted of a crime, and is sentenced to 20 years in V.R. Even though only a day, or something like that, passes in the real world, in his mind he spent 20 years in prison, and ended up killing his cellmate in order to survive. That would be enough to fuck with anyone's mind long term, and yet by the following episode, O'Brien is back to his old self.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

I got to know of him from Hell on Wheels, which was a terrific series. Highly recommend (unless one doesn't like Westerns). In fact, I tend to refer to him as "Cullen Bohannon" more than as "Anson Mount". But don't make the mistake of watching the blessedly short-lived Marvel show Inhumans. I loved the idea of him playing Black Bolt, but he wasn't able to overcome the wretched material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks