What's new

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (2022) - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I assume you mean 40 years.
The long hair and ridges didn’t appear until the films in the 80s
Nope, I meant 60.

These Klingons, at least the ones we see in this brief teaser trailer, harken back more to the ones we first meet in Errand of Mercy than anything Discovery did.

Also, longer hair and ridges appeared in 1979 with The Motion Picture.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Nope, I meant 60.

These Klingons, at least the ones we see in this brief teaser trailer, harken back more to the ones we first meet in Errand of Mercy than anything Discovery did.

Also, longer hair and ridges appeared in 1979 with The Motion Picture.
I can see the confusion. The "baldric" in TOS TV isn't quite as distinctive as it is TNG and TOS movies.

It kind of looked like the TOS TV Klingons were wearing a shirt with silverish torso and black sleeves. Albeit that is the decades long experience of watching it in low def.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I can see the confusion. The "baldric" in TOS TV isn't quite as distinctive as it is TNG and TOS movies.

It kind of looked like the TOS TV Klingons were wearing a shirt with silverish torso and black sleeves. Albeit that is the decades long experience of watching it in low def.
I'm pretty sure the one worn by Kang in "Day of the Dove" was the same one worn by Michael Dorn in TNG S1.

1682099053067.png
And the same one Kor wore in "Errand of Mercy":

1682099175967.png

But agreed...likely it just blended in in low def. Gold on gold isn't the best idea. :)

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I don’t know when it dropped, I know it wasn’t there earlier in the week but, the season 1 soundtrack is finally out!!
...and it's gone. It was in Apple Music on Friday. I listened to the entire album while driving to Mississippi for my son's baseball game. Then I went to listen to it again on Sunday and it was gone, no longer listed in Apple Music. I don't know why the soundtrack for this show has been so elusive.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
...and it's gone. It was in Apple Music on Friday. I listened to the entire album while driving to Mississippi for my son's baseball game. Then I went to listen to it again on Sunday and it was gone, no longer listed in Apple Music. I don't know why the soundtrack for this show has been so elusive.
I suspect they put it up early and had to take it down. It’s officially due on the 28th!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, thought I’d post a few random thoughts. I’ve been slowly watching the first season episodes in chronological order on the Blu ray set rather slowly. I watched “Lift Us Where Suffering Cannot Reach” last night. This was not an episode I was looking forward to.

Back to the earlier episodes, this is my first re-watch of the episodes as I only watched each episode once during its original dropping on Paramount+. I was waiting for the eventual blu ray release. My initial impression of some of the episodes was I liked them, but some aspects I just wasn’t sure about. The first episode, Strange New Worlds was very straight forward and clear that the Enterprise crew had made a mistake trying to get Una out of captivity and Pike decided to reveal themselves and pull off a Kirk move by showing the aliens that on Earth, they faced a similar problem that resulted in a devastating war, so don’t do what we did.

Children of the Comet was better for me the second time around, I even rewatched the last 15 minutes a third time. I liked the idea that the Enterprise interfering with the comet was part of the comet‘s flight plan. And that it had some kind sentience that was able to communicate and Uhura was able to decipher it.

Ghost of Illyria has an interesting concept of a disease brought back to the Enterprise that causes the crew to seek out light. That’s a new one and a sort of call back to The Naked Time. While Pike and Spock are trapped on the planet and the storm breaks through the windows and doors, the thing they tried to protect themselves from ends up protecting them. When they realize the energy beings are actually the life force of the Illyrians it was a nice reveal that they had good intentions and were trying to make themselves worthy of joining the Federation, but it cost them. ( this also reminded me of the TNG episode where the Enterprise encounters the life force of criminals who were left on a desolate planet and they manage to inhabit the bodies of Troi, O’Brien and Data to try to make a break of it)

My only issue with the episode of the reveal that Una is not human. While it wasn’t revealed or even hinted at in The Cage, she was aways to me a human. Even the Talosians knew she was human. I guess the writers and producers just could not resist adding a twist to her since we knew almost nothing about her from The Cage.

Momento Mori is an episode I was looking forward to. I was interested in re-seeing it because I enjoyed the Run Silent Run Deep aspect of the battle of wits between Pike and the Gorn ships. I’m also interested in re-seeing the subplot of La’an’s backstory about the Gorn. I have to say, I initially wasn’t sure what I thought of the return of the Gorn. What I liked is how they re-imagined what the Gorn are. After I watched Momento Mori, I watched Arena. Arena is an episode I revisited a lot. I enjoyed that Kirk impressed the Metrons and that humans were more then just violent primitives. The Gorn at that time was just a reptilian race that had intelligence and could communicate by speech and were portrayed as beings that had similar values as humans. They were just trying to protect their own. That was a terrific thing TOS did, to show how human aliens can be too. I think the Gorn in Star Trek Enterprise are similarly portrayed. However here in Momento Mori, we see a reimagined Gorn who see other alien beings as nothing more then food and not intelligent life to contact. When I think about that, that has a certain logic. Humans see lower animals on earth as food too. So why wouldn’t an alien species do the same. My only concern is does it change the very nature of what the Gorn are? I suppose in Arena, it doesn’t really violate anything there. The Gorn were not very happy the Federation set up an outpost on Gorn territory. So I think we might by in a grey area. Is it ok to show the Gorn at this time too? Kirk learns of the Gorn for the first time. And Uhura is pretty shocked to see the Gorn on the view screen, so it tells me she’s never seen a Gorn before. So Strange New Worlds I think broke canon In this regard.

Spock Amok is an episode I hesitated to rewatch the longest. I wasn’t sure I liked the concept. On my second viewing, I went in knowing it was meant to be a comedy. Spock and T’Pring mess up they mind meld and exchanged their minds into the other’s bodies. And that was an issue I had with it. Star Trek had comedy in the past for sure, but I just wasn’t sure I liked having comedy the way it was done. I think my biggest concern with Strange New Worlds so far is the inclusion of T’Pring. We’ve never seen her before Amok Time. Pike and the crew knows who she is. Chapel knows who she is. And Chapel was as surprised as Kirk and McCoy are to learn that Spock has a “wife”. What redeemed the episode for me on my re-view was that it helped Pike find a solution for the negotiations with the aliens who are considering joining the Federation, He was able to rethink what it was like to be in their shoes. So Pike could see us through their eyes. Kind of an extreme way make Pike see others in a new light by having Spock and T’Pring swap bodies. I did like the revised casual green tunic that Pike wears.

This brings me to Lift Us Where Suffering Cannot Reach. i initially was ok with the episode on my first watch. On my second viewing, I could see it better from the point of view of the aliens. Who are we as humans to judge another culture’s way of life. We may not like it, but it is what it is. As soon as Pike understand‘s what his former girlfriend was up to, he’s shocked and tries to stop it. I liked that the father of the boy sees it’s wrong and wants to join the other faction who are not willing to sacrifice a child in other for the rest to live in luxury and comfort. This episode has many call backs to TOS. I can think of A Taste of Armageddon where Kirk decides their way of life is wrong and makes them re-think their policy of maintaining a virtual war. And I can hear the voice of Captain Merrick and the Pro Council talk about how Earth wasn’t much better when we were still killing each other in wars, so how is our world any worse. But this episode probably most aligns with The Cloud Minders where one group suffers and is held down literally while the elite live in comfort and luxury. So in this regard, I liked this episode more on the second viewing. It was also cool that advanced medical knowledge of these people who gives M’Benga some information that might help his daughter. But I know there is another solution coming for M’Benga.

Four more episodes to go. I’m taking my time so I can try to time the last episode before the new season starts.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sam, I forgot about the 4K set. I was hoping to find it with a Steelbook but I think I may have misunderstood there would be one. So I will be adding the 4K set to my collection. It’s a double dip, but I’m curious to see what, if any improvement it will have. I’m finding the blu rays look great.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Sam, I forgot about the 4K set. I was hoping to find it with a Steelbook but I think I may have misunderstood there would be one. So I will be adding the 4K set to my collection. It’s a double dip, but I’m curious to see what, if any improvement it will have. I’m finding the blu rays look great.

The 4K SteelBook is out tomorrow:

Apparently, there's a non-SB 4K due out on June 6:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I ordered the Steelbook at Deep Discount earlier today for a nice savings.

I wasn’t aware the standard case version of the 4K set is coming out in June! I see it on the Deep Discount site for June 13th.

I don’t understand all these staggered release dates, unless they wanted to time it for the second season premiere.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don’t understand all these staggered release dates, unless they wanted to time it for the second season premiere.
I think the limited edition 4K steelbook was a relatively late decision, and they couldn't get it manufactured in time to be released day and date with the DVD and Blu-ray releases.

And then I think the demand for the 4K version greatly exceeded Paramount's expectations, selling out quickly at most retailers. That overperformance liekly led to the non-limited 4K release in the standard case. But again, they needed more time for manufacturing and distribution.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My copy of the 4k steelbook is out for delivery, and while I’m excited about that, I also see that the price never came down from when I ordered it in January. This has got to be the most expensive 10-episode series I’ve ever bought!

EDIT: My copy arrived safe and without any dings. The steelbook looks great. Can’t wait to dive into the show again.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
My copy of the 4k steelbook is out for delivery, and while I’m excited about that, I also see that the price never came down from when I ordered it in January. This has got to be the most expensive 10-episode series I’ve ever bought!

About the same price as the 10-episode 4K SteelBook of Halo.

Anyway, I was getting nervous today. bestbuy.com had it listed, but only as "Coming Soon". Neither of my two local BBs had it on the shelves. Last night, Bull Moose's website was a bit confusing. They said it was no longer available, but also had it as being "in stock" at all of their stores. After trying BB, I made the trip to BM and they had some copies on the shelf. Presumably, the website saying it was no longer available meant that the it couldn't be ordered on-line because all copies they got in were allocated. At any rate, I got me an SB.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sam, I thought the price was pretty good from Deep Discount considering it’s a 4K set. But yes, it is pricey. I figure this may not happen again for the next season, or for Picard Season 3. But we’ll see.

I don’t have tracking info from Deep Discount yet for my disc. So I figure I’ll get it soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks