What's new

Star Trek season 2 (remastered) (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Star Trek has always looked great to me. It's the Next Generation that needs remastering, esp. series one with that horrible magenta cast all over it!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Yeah I can barely watch my next gen DVD's anymore especially the later season 5-7 they are so horribly soft and full of artifact, and it's more than they shot these on film and editted on video, they are just horribly mastered. DS9 suffers from horrible Artifacting also. I shake my head to think what I paid for these.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I suppose it depends on your expectations and knowledge of the subject matter. I paid nearly twice what many people have paid for DS9 (U.K. versions; some of these have run over $150 for one box) and I am entirely satisfied with how that series looks (as well as how TNG looks). But that's probably because I don't know any better. The only arena in which I am extremely discerning (and knowledgeable) when it comes to quality is in music. And by quality, I am speaking of compositional techniques, not recording technology. So for my own part, I am entirely satisfied with the DVDs I own of all of the Trek series, and probably will be for many years. I wonder too if viewing these episodes on a 57" television (which we do) helps or hurts the overall picture quality....

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just started re-watching the 3rd Season of DS9. I'm watching on a 50" 1080i plasma with an upconvert player. I think it looks quite good. Compared to some other TV DVD's, at least the picture is solid on my system. Some TV shows, like Get Smart for example, there are tiny artifacting that I see. Most noticable are on skin tones. Like the Chief's forehead, if he's still, it's okay, if he moves, I see some kinds of odd artifacting there.

I don't see on the DS9 discs. I do want to see how the TNG discs look. I have not seen them on this new display. But on a 26" LCD TV with a 480i DVD player, TNG looks quite good!

Yes, both shows will look soft cmpared to newer DVD's. But I can live with it and it's watchable to me.

On a side note, it's amazing to watch to TNG now. I saw an episode with Ensign Ro recently. And it seems almost naive after having seen Battlestar Galactica with Michelle Forbes as Caine. Both shows were written by Ron Moore too. So I have to wonder what goes through his head. TNG had to be antiseptic while BSG is probably where he wanted DS9 to be.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys-

There's some minor news about the new Season Two Remastered DVD, but I know a lot of you don't care as you'd rather wait for the High Def version.

Amazon pre-order price for Season Two Remastered on Standard DVD is $63.99

New box artwork is on-line here: More TOS-R Season 2 DVD Box Art | TrekMovie.com

And new details about the set:

Disc One:
  • Amok Time
  • Who Mourns For Adonais?
  • Special Feature: Preview trailers for each episode
  • Special Feature: Billy Blackburn’s Treasure Chest: Rare Home Movies And Special Memories Part 2
  • Special Feature: “To Boldly Go…” Season Two
  • Special Feature: Designing The Final Frontier
  • Special Feature: Writer’s Notebook: D.C. Fontana
  • Special Feature: Star Trek’s Favorite Moments
Disc Two:
  • The Changeling
  • Mirror, Mirror
  • The Apple
  • The Doomsday Machine
Disc Three:
  • Catspaw
  • I, Mudd
  • Metamorphosis
  • Journey To Babel
Disc Four:
  • Friday’s Child
  • The Deadly Years
  • Obsession
  • Wolf In The Fold
Disc Five:
  • The Trouble With Tribbles
  • Special Feature: The Trouble With Tribbles preview trailer
  • Special Feature: More Tribbles, More Troubles
  • Special Feature: Trials And Tribble-ations
  • Special Feature: Trials And Tribble-ations: Uniting Two Legends
  • Special Feature: Trials And Tribble-ations: An Historic Endeavor
Disc Six:
  • The Gamesters Of Triskelion
  • A Piece Of The Action
  • The Immunity Syndrome
  • A Private Little War
Disc Seven:
  • Return To Tomorrow
  • Patterns Of Force
  • By Any Other Name
  • The Omega Glory
Disc Eight:
  • The Ultimate Computer
  • Bread And Circuses
  • Assignment: Earth
  • Special Feature: Life Beyond Trek: Leonard Nimoy
  • Special Feature: Kirk, Spock & Bones: Star Trek’s Great Trio
  • Special Feature: Star Trek’s Divine Diva: Nichelle Nichols
Interesting that they will include the DS9 episode, Trails and Tribble-ations and the TAS episode, More Troubles, More Tribbles.

I look forward to it! And the Blu Ray version too.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if those preview trailers are the old ones or the new ones they made for the remastered episodes? Did the first set have the trailers?

And whoa...A whole disc dedicated to tribbles!

Thanks for the info, Nelson!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad you found the info helpful Ric!

The question of the trailers got me curious, so I check out my HD-DVD's. I never looked at the trailers on this set yet! The trailers are with each episode and accessed in the menu for that episode.

Here's the kicker, the trailers are included on the Standard Def side only. And the trailers are the same as the older DVD's. They start with the shot of the Enterprise pivoting in space while there is type that says Star Trek Next Voyage. The two trailers I saw; Charlie X and Where No Man Has Gone Before were not remastered and were not pristine. Charlie X had a lot of specs and minor scratches. I checked the same Charlie X trailer on the last Standard DVD box set, the trailer is in the same condition.

I always wondered about these trailers. Going all the way back to the early 80's on the video tapes and laserdiscs, the trailers all had the Star Trek Next Voyage title with what I always thought of as a third season shot of the Enterprise. This made me wonder back then if the trailers were goosed up after the series ended for syndication with the added Star Trek Next Voyage title? Of course in all the years of watching Star Trek on syndication, I never saw a trailer.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Yeah, I've kept my eye on those trailers for years. I kind of like the scratchiness in them; contrasted with the actual episodes, it's quite telling.

I recall owning the two-episode per disc sets (vols. 1-40) for quite some time before I realized that if you clicked on the appropriate place, you actually had four trailers per disc! That one almost got by me. I liked having the four trailers, as it got me wanting episodes on DVD that I (at the time) didn't necessarily have yet.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott-

Yeah, I still watch those 2 episode per DVD discs every now and then. The main reason is that you don't have to sit and wait for an eternity for the menus to load in the season box sets!

The scratchy trailers certain do contrast with the clean episodes!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Did you happen upon the four trailers per disc as I did? I had no warning. I just decided one day to 'menu up' and see what happens. That was quite a treat.

I like the two-disc editions. I often find that the two episodes on some of the discs are among my favorites, too. One of my pleasures is to put on my This Side of Paradise and Devil In the Dark disc. :emoji_thumbsup:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott-

I did find those 4 trailers, 2 for the episodes on the disc, and 2 for the episodes on the next disc, on the 2 ep DVD's. Like you, I didn't seek them out at first. It wasn't till much later that I discovered them. They were essentially an Easter Egg in the early days of DVD! What throws you off is that those discs do have the specific episode trailer in the main episode menu.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Yeah, those were early Easter eggs. Did you also check out the final screen, on which the complete, uncut, and unaired episode 'Joanna' is included?

Ahh, how I wish I weren't joking. ;)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
For years, I have wished to see even any of the bits that were left on the cutting room floor. The closest I've gotten to realizing this dream is seeing some of the (unused) stills at the ends of various episodes (during the closing credits and music), and the photos. on the Eddie Paskey (Leslie) site. I thought the boxed sets were going to include some of these tidbits (assuming they even exist) when they first were issued.

Here are some gems:

All images are available from:

Off Camera Photos

and

Off Camera2

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Ah Mr. Leslie I remember he was Killed in the episode Obsession and Later Resurrected.. how'd that happen ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks