What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Prodigy (Paramount+) (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
So Robert Beltran revealed today that he’s returning to voice Chakotay on Prodigy:

Should be interesting. Wonder how he's gonna fit into the storyline?

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Interesting, this after so many recent articles & videos about how rocky things were regarding his role, his approach to acting, etc. But that would have been with Pillar/Berman.

What I saw mentioned was, after not seeing very many episodes with substance for his character, if he was just executing simple lines, etc, he would phone in his performance, which pissed of either Berman or Pillar.

OTOH hand, I have nothing but low opinions of whichever assclown (Berman or Pillar) told Garret Want that Henry Kim had to remain an ensign, because "someone had to be an ensign". IMHO, just a mindbogglingly stupid concept given what your command staff is doing/did through the course of the series.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Interesting, this after so many recent articles & videos about how rocky things were regarding his role, his approach to acting, etc. But that would have been with Pillar/Berman.

What I saw mentioned was, after not seeing very many episodes with substance for his character, if he was just executing simple lines, etc, he would phone in his performance, which pissed of either Berman or Pillar.

OTOH hand, I have nothing but low opinions of whichever assclown (Berman or Pillar) told Garret Want that Henry Kim had to remain an ensign, because "someone had to be an ensign". IMHO, just a mindbogglingly stupid concept given what your command staff is doing/did through the course of the series.
It is for these reasons and more that I never warmed to Voyager the way I did the other shows. I can't get excited about Beltran participating in Prodigy, because he never did much for me in Voyager.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I like it but does it need the Nickelodeon branding above the title? Visually, the sequence is similar to Voyager. Nice to see a glimpse of Janeway.

Hey, if we're revisiting TOS in Discovery and SNW, TNG in Picard and Lower Decks, and Voyager in Prodigy, can we please get back to Deep Space Nine?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Okay, I am not being negative when I say this...more of a question: is 90 seconds-ish too long of an opening credits sequence for what is supposed to be a show for younger audiences?

I like the visuals, lots of things that remind me of all the opening credits to date. Lots of shots of the ship and a colorful galaxy with just enough weird stuff for the ship to encounter. The music is classic Trek with just a hint of the original theme at the very end.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Okay, I am not being negative when I say this...more of a question: is 90 seconds-ish too long of an opening credits sequence for what is supposed to be a show for younger audiences

Probably not. The kind of repetition and familiarity from a theme song is usually something little kids enjoy.

Museum Pieces

Second Unit
Real Name
Skylar
The official Trek Twitter-account just tweeted out the opening-credits sequence for Prodigy (with Michael Giacchino scoring):

Thanks. I ripped the theme to my iPod. My ST soundtrack collection must be complete. I hope they release the soundtrack. I already want to throw my money at them for this.

P.S. My Wrath of Khan soundtrack came. My wife snatched it from the mailbox and tucked it away for my birthday.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Hey, if we're revisiting TOS in Discovery and SNW, TNG in Picard and Lower Decks, and Voyager in Prodigy, can we please get back to Deep Space Nine?
The big problem with Deep Space Nine is that it ended with Sisko basically ascending to heaven while promising a Second Coming. Any project that doesn't involve Avery Brooks and that return will feel like a letdown.

Okay, I am not being negative when I say this...more of a question: is 90 seconds-ish too long of an opening credits sequence for what is supposed to be a show for younger audiences?
I'm sure there will be some sort of "Skip Intro" option.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Seems like the kind of intro that would have been greatly shortened after the first couple of episodes in the old days.

I kind of like the extra third-turbo-nacelle mode.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I kind of like the extra third-turbo-nacelle mode.
Yeah, given that the ship is found -- evidently abandoned -- somewhere in the Delta Quadrant, I'm guessing it has some sort of advanced (and experimental) propulsion system that goes faster than the other ships we've seen in the TNG through "Picard" era.

The NX registry prefix would point toward it being a prototype ship. While the registry numbers aren't an exact science (NCC-1031 was supposed to be more advanced than NCC-1701, for example), they do increment upwards roughly chronologically. The 76884 registry number would place the Protostar as being more recent than the USS Prometheus (either NX-59650 or NX-74913 depending on where you looked with the episode), but before the USS Titan (NCC-80102). So probably launched sometime after 2374 and prior to 2379. "Prodigy" could be set anytime after 2374, though, depending on whether the ship sat abandoned for a short while or a long while.

I think I read (but can't remember where) that it would be set in 2383, which would be a couple years after "Lower Decks" but well before "Picard". "Picard" has given no indication that the Federation has moved aggressively into the Delta Quadrant by 2399, which makes sense given how focused Starfleet was on the mostly failed Romulan evacuation and how decimated its shipbuilding capabilities were after the disaster on Mars, so this show should have a relatively unhampered territory to play in, canon-wise.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm sure there will be some sort of "Skip Intro" option.

I'm not so sure. This week's Lower Decks, in addition to a random sample of random episodes of Enterprise, DS9, Voyager, Discovery and Picard do not have a Skip Intro option, at least that I saw using an Apple TV.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Some new info on Prodigy — Chakotay is a starship-captain now, and George Costanza is his CMO:

With Daveed Diggs, Jason Alexander, and the rest, that's actually some pretty damn impressive casting right there. And this'll be Alexander’s second Star Trek-role, after having first appeared in VOY: "Think Tank."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
napasada
Recent bookmarks