What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Picard Season Two (2 Viewers)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
On top of John Jackson Miller's forthcoming Rios-novel (dropping Aug. 17), Paramount just announced the follow-up to that book -- this time a Picard-novel actually set between the first and upcoming second seasons of the TV show:

Star Trek: Picard - Second Self
Written by Una McCormack

A thrilling untold adventure based on the acclaimed Star Trek: Picard TV series!

Following the explosive events seen in season one of Star Trek: Picard, Raffi Musiker finds herself torn between returning to her old life as a Starfleet Intelligence officer or something a little more tame—teaching at the Academy, perhaps. The decision is made for her though when a message from an old contact—a Romulan spy—is received, asking for immediate aid. With the help of Cristobal Rios and Dr. Agnes Jurati, and assistance from Jean-Luc Picard, Raffi decides to take on this critical mission—and quickly learns that past sins never stay buried. Finding the truth will be complicated, and deadly….

Stick the word "Romulans" on something, and I'll buy it. :D:cool:

Comes out in April, 2022 -- Una McCormack's recent DSC novel (Wonderlands) did a fantastic job of bridging the year between the first and second episodes of that show's third season, and it seems like this one is being written with the cooperation and input of the Picard-showrunners, too.

I loved what Una did with Raffi and the Romulans in The Last Best Hope, so I'm excited to see where she takes them next, and intrigued by the inter-season setting (all PIC-novels prior to this being prequels to the TV show, rather than taking place during the show's timeframe itself).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Something about time is broken, and we see Seven as if she had never encountered the Borg so I suppose there will be an opportunity to show what might have been with them. I loved the first season and these guys have my trust and confidence for round two.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I never bought the idea that Janeway killed her for good. I mean…we all thought Picard did that in Star Trek: First Contact, until she was brought back on VOY. But since it's clear this season will be all sort of alt-universe/timeline stuff, we could easily see something where the Borg are allies of the Federation, or somesuch.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Presumably she's playing the same Borg Queen that Alice Krige played in First Contact, given that this show is really focused on Picard's journey this season is messing about with time travel, but it's also possible that she's playing another Borg Queen like Susanna Thompson did in "Voyager".

The Borg Queens have always fascinated me: Is there one queen for the entire Collective at any given time, or are they more like generals with different Queens for different parts of the galaxy? What is the selection process to identify the right female drones and then restore enough of their individuality and autonomy to fulfill the function required of them?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There is this unattributed picture floating around that says season 2 has wrapped and season 3 is beginning. No idea if this is true, but it has been rumored (and kinda confirmed by DeLancie) that seasons 2 and 3 would shoot back-to-back.

241099106_10165651758575008_5371864290582087988_n.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m pretty sure the production crew/studio/show runners confirmed the back to back approach a long time ago. Given Stewart’s age plus the necessity of having a sort of covid bubble for the cast and crew, plus the long lead time needed for effects work, it seemed like a logical choice.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

I'm guessing there will be a bunch of other symbolic clues from that teaser that will also only become clear in retrospect.

Books: Paradise Lost by John Milton and The Long Dark Tunnel by Tracy Tormé. The former has pretty clear (and ominous) implications, but the latter is one of the Dixon Hill novels that formed the basis for Picard's noir holodeck adventures.

Ship Model: NCC-2893 -- the USS Stargazer, which Picard commanded for twenty-two years before taking command of the Enterprise-D, during which Jack Crusher was killed in action.

I’m pretty sure the production crew/studio/show runners confirmed the back to back approach a long time ago. Given Stewart’s age plus the necessity of having a sort of covid bubble for the cast and crew, plus the long lead time needed for effects work, it seemed like a logical choice.
And while the back-to-back shoot will be a long one by premium cable/streaming standards, it will still be fewer episodes than one season of TNG.

Also, given the uncertainties caused by the ever-evolving COVID situation, better to get as many episodes in the can as possible. Post-production can always be completed remotely, if everything shuts down again.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
New Trailer:

Interesting concept; they're not trying to change history, instead -- much like First Contact -- they're trying to repair it. It does look like most of the season is going to take place in the present day, which is smart from a budget standpoint but disappointing from the standpoint of wanting to know what happens next at the dawn of the 25th century. It also raises some interesting questions, since the backstory of the 21st century in Star Trek is very different than the actual 21st century so far. Will they reconcile those differences or ignore them like "Voyager" did when it went to the nineties?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Voyager, that trailer looked a lot like Picard’s version of the two part episode Future’s End.

The quick shots of the Queen were kind of creepy in a way like the sequences shot for Discovery of L’Rell and Voq.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Best news is the new season is February. So Lower Decks leads right into Prodigy which will run somewhat concurrently with Discovery. And then Picard immediately after that. Strange New Worlds has got to be coming after Picard…

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^With Prodigy starting in late October, it means we will have overlapping Trek for the first time since DS9/VOY.

Yes indeed. While I somewhat understand why they're doing that, I would have thought Paramount+ would want each show to get it's own time on the air without having to compete with anything else. But hey, we're going to be in for a whole lot of new Trek from the beginning of Lower Decks last month through likely April 2022 (that we know of right now).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
^With Prodigy starting in late October, it means we will have overlapping Trek for the first time since DS9/VOY.

I think that’s a real clue that Prodigy is going to skew very young - which is great! - but I’m also not looking forward to the inevitable interweb complaints about it being for kids.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, so much happened yesterday on Star Trek Day that I nearly missed it.

I thought the most exciting video that came out yesterday was for Strange New Worlds. it was exciting to see the new characters and the new versions of ones we know. And the peeks at the new transporter room and new uniforms was great.

The new Prodigy video was interesting too. It looks very well made. I guess I’ll wait to see this before commenting. Nice to see what the new Janeway hologram looks like in action. Though I’m wondering how she got out there in that ship.

I saw the mid season trailer for Lower Decks too. i haven’t seen this week’s episode yet, but it looks like they’ve really amped up the show in many ways.

It does seem surprising there will be two new Star Trek seasons overlapping this fall. I’d have thought they’d want to stretch out releasing new material to extend the time of new shows so the wait times will be shorter for the next season.

Regarding Discovery, I am concerned that show has to have some kind of threat every season that could destroy the whole universe unless they can figure it out. How can he same thing happen to the same guy!

I can’t tell yet if the new Picard trailer is showing a threat that was due to Q’s influence, or something else caused it. Q does say the trial is not over at the end of All Good Things. So I’m cautiously concerned, but looking forward to see what they’ve got for that new season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks