What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Picard - Season Three (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I’m possibly more frustrated by undercutting ending a strong conclusion with Matalas’ wishcasting a new show that apparently won’t exist. 🤷‍♂️
Why do you say it probably won't exist? I think it has an excellent chance of becoming a show. The audience reaction to Picard season 3 has been excellent and the ratings (viewings/whatever you call them) have been phenomenal, the best Paramount has seen for any Trek project in the 6 years since they started them. If Paramount doesn't continue with Terry Matalas, they're not very good at their jobs or paying attention to what the audience wants.

I watched the finale again last night and it holds up. There really is a sense of dread going into the Borg cube, like they're not all making it out. My wife watched with me last night and her reactions were genuine: "They'd better not kill Worf!" "I guess Picard's not coming out..." and (when
Picard plugs himself into the collective)
"Holy shit!"

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Why do you say it probably won't exist? I think it has an excellent chance of becoming a show. The audience reaction to Picard season 3 has been excellent and the ratings (viewings/whatever you call them) have been phenomenal, the best Paramount has seen for any Trek project in the 6 years since they started them. If Paramount doesn't continue with Terry Matalas, they're not very good at their jobs or paying attention to what the audience wants.
What I’ve seen in this thread and in reporting on Star Trek Legacy, seemed clear that there’s no plans for a show with Seven, Rafi, and Jack.

Happy to be wrong, if this show was planned as a strategy exiting Season 3, or will come about due to Season 3’s strong viewership.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed this season. To me at least it felt really different from the previous seasons. I'll probably get burned at the stake for saying this but it felt like a very long, very good final TNG movie in tone, and production. Including the bonus endings so popular in films nowadays (just when you think it's over you get another pleasant scene, and another....).

Probably the best season of the bunch, but again it is hard to compare being so different than the great first season.

I always feel like I'm walking on eggshells in these ST threads because emotions are always high, and if you say the wrong thing you might anger someone causing an unpleasant exchange. But each person views these series as something close to them, hence the passionate debate.

So if I angered anyone in my assessment I'm sorry beforehand, and apologize :)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I am so satisfied with Picard Season 3.

This was an excellent finale to an excellent season of Star Trek, and a fantastic conclusion to the story of The Next Generation, a show that got me into Trek and had a huge impact on me growing up.

But I’m greedy, so I want more please.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Honestly, if suits at Paramount was doing their jobs right, they'd not only put Star Trek: Legacy into production right now, but they'd greenlight a TNG movie with the original cast, all of whom have said they'd do it. Nothing that's been done in the last 15 years - the Abrams movies, Discovery, etc. - has had the same kind of enthusiastic fan reaction as this season of Picard. Some form of "Star Trek Picard," "Star Trek Legacy" etc. trends on Twitter almost every day, and while I'm not a big believer in Twitter, it is a metric that studios take seriously (for whatever reason).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It was good, but I wouldn't call it extraordinary.
I'd call it extraordinary, if for nothing else it was something I thought I'd never see. Plus it was really good. Win/win
Not young enough for me to "get it," and even if I did, I still call bullshit.

A rose is beautiful for the very reason that it will soon wilt and die. Our love for the ones we hold dear is precious for the very same reason: our time together is finite. Picard's last two scenes with Q in season two moved me for that very reason.

It doesn't matter that this Q is younger. Even if he is, and everything people are saying to explain it away is right, I still have to ask:

WHY DO IT? To pitch a show that may never happen? Ugh. The series ended beautifully. Get off stage already.

Luckily when I rewatch Picard season three from this day forward I can stop watching the last episode before this unfortunate scene begins.
But it is just a one minute scene, and we got multiple pleasant endings Data (lol), card game..the list goes on). Don't let that one you didn't like sour you on it my friend.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I am so satisfied with Picard Season 3.

This was an excellent finale to an excellent season of Star Trek, and a fantastic conclusion to the story of The Next Generation, a show that got me into Trek and had a huge impact on me growing up.

But I’m greedy, so I want more please.
Very nicely said.
I couldn't agree more.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
While the last episode was pretty wonky story and logic wise, really enjoyed the sendoff the crew received in this episode.

The second most gratifying aspect is how Terry Matalas left doors open to give Kirk and Q better endings.

"There are always possibilities." Anton Chekov. Or was it somebody else...

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
That's a bit of a hard sell, to me.

How can Q at the end of S3 be earlier in Q's life, when he literally admits to Jack that he was aware that everyone thought he was dead. His death, was an event for the older Q. Are you saying that after he died, he could continue to jump back and forth in time? His death was not his complete and total end? Ehh.

He did make a snark at Jack about humans not seeing things linearly, which made it easy to surmise that this might mean that his appearance here was "before" his death in S2. There's nothing about this that suggests that "he could continue to jump back and forth through time" after he died.

Think of it this way...if you came into possession of a time machine tomorrow, and you used it to go forward to the year 2100, and you found out when and how you died, it doesn't mean that your death wasn't your "complete and total end".

It's cheap and takes away the weight of his death. But then again, science fiction is rife with examples of cherished characters dying, mostly for emotional effect, only to return to life.

Well, that's pretty much how I felt about Spock coming back in Star Trek III, but most people didn't seem to mind.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
1682204994682.png

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
^ One unfortunate thing about getting the cast back together is that great characters (and actors) like Laris (Orla Brady) got ignored. Assuming Paramount gives Matalas a job in the future, maybe we can see Laris again -- and Soji and Elnor too. (I'd love to see more of Rios, but they closed the book on him by leaving him in the past.)

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
So, does starfleet now have TWO active starships named Enterprise? The F and the G?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Enterprise D was decommissioned near the end of episode 10, maybe that was the source of confusion?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
According to the official ship logs, Enterprise-F had been decommissioned shortly before the events of "Picard" Season 3 after its systems were compromised during a mission at Fenton IV. They only brought it back out for a ceremonial final flight as part of the Frontier Day celebrations:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks