What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Picard - Season Three (2 Viewers)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What is the top one?
NCC-80102-A. After Riker finally accepted a promotion in Nemesis, he took command of the Luna-class USS Titan (NCC-80102), which we've seen in Lower Decks:
StarTrek_LowerDecks_S01_010.jpg

At some point between 2380 and 2401, that ship was evidently destroyed or decommissioned and the ship in the trailer is the next one to bear the name Titan.

There doesn't seem to be a ton of consistency when it comes to registry numbers for ships bearing the same name. The pre-Federation Enterprise had registry number NX-01. All of the Federation Enterprises have begun with NCC-1701, and included sequentially increasing letters with each new ship to bear the name. Voyager, likewise, has kept NCC-74656 up through J by the 32nd century. On the other hand, there have been Starfleet vessels with the name Saratoga that carried completely different registry numbers: NCC-1887, NCC-31640, and NCC-31911. And then there is the Stargazer. The Constellation-class Stargazer that Picard commanded for 22 years had registry number NCC-2893. while the new Sagan-class Stargazer, utilizing reverse-engineered Borg technology, had registry number NCC-82893 -- a new registry number with a seemingly very intentional nod to the prior Stargazer's registry number.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Huh? I just saw the latest trailer. I’ve been happily staying oblivious and spoiler free to season 3 until it premieres, but my curiosity got me to watch it.

I'm not sure what to think. It looks like Nemesis with all the battle action. And it looks like what the fans really wanted to see from the start. But I’m not sure what to think, three villains? What was that laughing woman supposed to be, a female version of Nero? Or perhaps it’s all just misdirection and red herrings and a Holodeck Moriarty.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Den of Geek has a good interview with Terry Matalas. Among the tidbits:
  • The first character we see in the season premiere is Dr. Beverly Crusher.
  • There is a time jump of “at least a year and a half to two years” between where the second season left off and where the third season begins, firmly “in the 25th Century”.
  • This is Matalas's first season as sole showrunner, as he shared the role with Akiva Goldsman during the second season.
  • The new season will not only feel different but look and sound different from the first two seasons of "Picard". “I love the old 'Next Gen' font. I’ve missed titles on episodes and seeing them and going, ‘hmm, I wonder what that means…?’ And the music was extraordinarily important to me.”
  • Stephen Barton, the composer on the Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order video game, as well as the final two seasons of Matalas’ "12 Monkeys" has replaced Jeff Russo for the third season. His score pays homage to "Jerry Goldsmith and James Horner. Not to mention Dennis McCarthy and Cliff Eidelman."
  • Jonathan Frakes, Gates McFadden, and LeVar Burton all felt like they got exciting, meaty material in this new run.
  • Frakes directed two Season 3 "Picard" episodes.
  • The upcoming season will acknowledge and deal with Worf's long service aboard and association with Deep Space 9 in a way that the TNG movies never did.
  • Seven of Nine also brings in certain "Voyager" elements.
  • While this is definitely the final season of "Picard", Matalas would love to make a spinoff series set in the early 25th century.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
NCC-80102-A. After Riker finally accepted a promotion in Nemesis, he took command of the Luna-class USS Titan (NCC-80102), which we've seen in Lower Decks:
View attachment 157032

At some point between 2380 and 2401, that ship was evidently destroyed or decommissioned and the ship in the trailer is the next one to bear the name Titan.

There doesn't seem to be a ton of consistency when it comes to registry numbers for ships bearing the same name. The pre-Federation Enterprise had registry number NX-01. All of the Federation Enterprises have begun with NCC-1701, and included sequentially increasing letters with each new ship to bear the name. Voyager, likewise, has kept NCC-74656 up through J by the 32nd century. On the other hand, there have been Starfleet vessels with the name Saratoga that carried completely different registry numbers: NCC-1887, NCC-31640, and NCC-31911. And then there is the Stargazer. The Constellation-class Stargazer that Picard commanded for 22 years had registry number NCC-2893. while the new Sagan-class Stargazer, utilizing reverse-engineered Borg technology, had registry number NCC-82893 -- a new registry number with a seemingly very intentional nod to the prior Stargazer's registry number.
NCC are production vessels.
As per The Making of Star Trek (Whitfield/Roddenberry), NCC stands for Naval Construction Contract.

NX denotes an experimental model. So Naval eXperimental. Currently experimental planes (not designed for production) use a X, while pre-production/development models use a Y designation.

X series are used to test high speed/altitude:
220px-BellX-1.jpeg
X-1
220px-X-15_flying.jpg
X-15

or testing novel designs/new technology:
220px-Bell-X5-Multiple.jpg
X-5 (variable geometry wings)
220px-X-29_at_High_Angle_of_Attack_with_Smoke_Generators.jpg
X-29 (forward swept wings)
300px-Boeing-X36-InFlight.jpg
X-36 (tailless)

The lightweight flyoff between the YF-16 and the YF-17 led to the winner becoming the F-16. Incidentally the losing YF-17 was selected by the Navy to become the F/A-18.

wiki list of X-planes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_experimental_aircraft#X-planes

Sometimes, there are a few exceptions, like the Steve Austin special, the M2-F2
SixMillion_20-678x381.jpg

SixMillion_30-706x421.jpg

That'll buff out.

The Crash of the Northrop M2-F2 Lifting Body and “rebuilding” of Steve Austin, the “Six Million Dollar Man”.

As for the reuse of names without letters, it might designate that they were not direct successors (in addition to sloppy writing). Or it might designate totally different purpose ships, so they don't get the same number (a freighter or transport reusing the name of a starship). OTOH I have no idea what the other Saratogas were.

We know that NCC-1701 was immediately followed by NCC-1701A.
We also know that NCC-1701D was immediately followed by NCC-1701E.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Does anyone else think that
"the surprise" Beverly has for Picard that leaves him "thrilled and enraged" is a child she never told him about? That would make the child around 20 if she left him around the time of Nemesis. This is just speculation but it seems like where they could be going with this.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
"the surprise" Beverly has for Picard that leaves him "thrilled and enraged" is a child she never told him about? That would make the child around 20 if she left him around the time of Nemesis. This is just speculation but it seems like where they could be going with this.

This would presuppose that

They were ever that intimate. They were close in "Attached," but there's no indication they had sex. Moreover, if she got pregnant at the point in Season 7, she should have been showing by the end of the season or Generations.

Unless I'm wrong, I also don't think there's any indication they were intimate during or between the movies. They could always retcon this kind of thing and say they had a dalliance after Nemesis ended, which is really the only way Picard not knowing works. Beverly was always on the Enterprise-D and Enterprise-E as far as we know and it would be impossible for him not to know if they're on the same ship.

I'm seriously hoping this isn't it. I'd be happier if Beverly had a new romance and she was getting married. Or found a way to make a Jack Crusher synthetic life form to live with. Or decided to go with Wesley into the Traveler realm.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
This would presuppose that

They were ever that intimate. They were close in "Attached," but there's no indication they had sex. Moreover, if she got pregnant at the point in Season 7, she should have been showing by the end of the season or Generations.

Unless I'm wrong, I also don't think there's any indication they were intimate during or between the movies. They could always retcon this kind of thing and say they had a dalliance after Nemesis ended, which is really the only way Picard not knowing works. Beverly was always on the Enterprise-D and Enterprise-E as far as we know and it would be impossible for him not to know if they're on the same ship.

I'm seriously hoping this isn't it. I'd be happier if Beverly had a new romance and she was getting married. Or found a way to make a Jack Crusher synthetic life form to live with. Or decided to go with Wesley into the Traveler realm.
Weren't Picard and Crusher married and divorced (at least in some timeline) during the finale All Good Things? That would indicate that intimacy was a possibility. I'm not saying that will be a story element, but a previously unknown, crossed timeline heir wouldn't be unheard of - (see Commander Sela)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Weren't Picard and Crusher married and divorced (at least in some timeline) during the finale All Good Things? That would indicate that intimacy was a possibility. I'm not saying that will be a story element, but a previously unknown, crossed timeline heir wouldn't be unheard of - (see Commander Sela)
Yes, but that was a potential future, not something written in stone as far as I remember. It's certainly possible, but also requires some retconning to make it fit in IMHO.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The (now-superseded by Picard) post-Nemesis novels actually did indeed have Jean-Luc and Beverly finally tying the knot and having a son together, which took place against the backdrop of the massive Borg-invasion in David Mack's Star Trek: Destiny trilogy (which happens roughly when Lower Decks now occurs in the screen-canon). The shows have sometimes shown a willingness to pick up plot-elements from the books and use them for their own storytelling, so this could in fact be a possible reason for Picard and Dr. Crusher's eventual estrangement.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Beverly Crusher was born in 2324, which would have made her 55 during the events of Nemesis, which is after most women have entered menopause. Troi wasn't that old when she had her second child, and we know from her mother that Betazoid women remain fertile far later in life than human do, and that is presumably also true of half-Betazoid women.

Now it's possible and even probable that 24th century medicine has mitigated or even eliminated many of the fertility-related complications of aging. But to avail herself of those interventions would mean Crusher made a deliberate choice to have Picard's child and not tell him about it. I just don't see her doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks