Star Trek: Picard - Season One - CBS All Access - starring Patrick Stewart

TJPC

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Where did that fancy tool that could fix anything come from? We somehow missed that although we have watched every episode.

Bryan^H

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Apparently we do -- when I experimentally clicked on "CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION" earlier this evening, I instantly got offered an extra free month. Whether this is directly connected to Sir Patrick's initiative I don't know, but you can definitely snag a free month by this method, too.
Free month now extended to 60 days. I didn't cancel, and my subscription ran out yesterday so I have no way of getting this deal now. I should have canceled the minute you posted the news.

Oh well.

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've been "skimming" at this thread while waiting on physical release (not paying for "All Access" just for one show).

After CBS made the free subscription offer I started to mostly avoid the spoilers (although some make it more attractive sounding) as I'll now subscribe to watch this one. While I'm not a huge fan of TNG I really like Picard and feel his character is one of the better commanders.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I needed every moment of this season. I’m so grateful that this was a thing that could happen, and feel incredibly fortunate that the show allowed us such an insightful glimpse into a character I’ve long felt close to in such an emotional way.

It opens up so many exciting possibilities for the future, paid off so much of what came before, and also stands alone beautifully for this moment in time.

I feel very fortunate to have grown up when TNG first aired, and I feel just as fortunate to be renewing my acquaintance with the good captain as an adult.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
I just binged the last 5 episodes and loved every minute of it.

I thought the entire series was great but really kicked in during the last 5. I actually teared up a few times at some of the reunions. Unexpectedly powerful and so emotional. Terrific writing!

In the end I was completely satisfied. Bravo!.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
A few episodes lagged and some of the story got bogged down, but overall I thought the entire season was good. Way better than Discovery. The season finale pulled a couple of tears and was very well done.

My only real issues with the series are the projected ship controls, too many f-bombs for a Star Trek show, Raffi got on my nerves, and the use-your-imagination tool. I would give the season four out of five stars.

Reactions: Philip Verdieck

Sam Favate

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Here's a Q&A with Chabon. He's so good, addressing the kind of nuances that Star Trek fans want to know. It's obvious he was (and is) one of us.

This is highly recommended.

Michael Chabon Answers Fan Questions About ‘Star Trek: Picard’ Finale Loose Ends, Season Two, And More

https://trekmovie.com/2020/03/28/mi...A2KnNHJmG4zmUljgG7TCtJ03xxez7tMl5Eew8wIYjxrWU

Will [Seven] stay on the crew next season?

I want to say yes, but people keep telling me not to. So no.
Sounds like Jeri Ryan's contract hasn't been worked out yet.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Did anyone see the relationship between Raffi and 7of9 before it was made obvious in the last episode? I did not.

I was also moved by the final, and I believe, the absolute death of Data. I’m glad he got his wish to be human.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I didn’t see any problem. It’s two characters who just met each other and shared an intense, life changing, paradigm shifting experience, deciding that each was interesting enough to the other that they’d hang out together and see where it went. That seems entirely normal to me.

Reactions: Tino

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t think you were oblivious. I think that was meant to signal a possible new beginning, not a sign of “here’s a thing that had been going on in the background that we never told you about but you should have picked up on”.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don’t think you were oblivious. I think that was meant to signal a possible new beginning, not a sign of “here’s a thing that had been going on in the background that we never told you about but you should have picked up on”.
I have a history of missing things like that. Good to know I didn’t miss this one.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Jason_V

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Just to be clear: I'm not against the idea. It makes sense in some ways to me. I don't like how it seemingly comes out of nowhere after four years with Seven on Voyager and a the first season with both characters in Picard.

Reactions: Johnny Angell

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
This year I watched the best scifi we've had since ST:TNG invented the modern, big-budget scifi TV genre. It pushes the genre forward with three dimensional characters, a complex and plausible view of the future a few hundred years from now, a sophisticated and modern take on language, and a show solidly grounded in the "science" of science fiction. That is, of course, The Expanse. For me, The Expanse is the spiritual descendant of Star Trek: The Next Generation, through Battlestar Galactica (2004) to give us a post 2010 take on the genre.

In contrast, Star Trek: Picard is fun, relatively breezy and lightweight. And for me, the penultimate scene of the season was reason enough to have watched this first season. But on the whole, it was better than mediocre, but not great.

And that's my struggle. I wanted greatness. I want Picard to move forward Star Trek the way TNG or DS9 did. (caveat: I've not watched Discovery yet, so maybe I'm looking at the wrong Trek.) I hoped for, if nothing else, that perfect first season. Mr. Robot. The Good Place. Stranger Things. Legion. I hoped Picard would fall in with those, even if there wasn't a second season. I hoped for something impressively modern and mature; Patrick Stewart's Logan for Star Trek. And frankly, I'm burned out on Star Wars and I wanted to fall back into my other true love of Star Trek with something so indisputably amazing that I could just forget about Star Wars for a few years. (caveat: haven't watched The Mandalorian yet. in the queue for later this Spring or Summer)

And I say all this because I've learned that my expectations and desires, founded or not, affect how I enjoy a show.

All that said, I went in hoping for the best, and I bumped Picard ahead of lots of other amazing shows I'm trying to get to because...because it's Picard! It's Star Trek! its' characters I know and love from when I was young and exuberant and could fall in love with a show that is hard to do as a cynical middle-aged adult with a job and mortgage. And I'm in a Pandemic and CBS All Access is free right now, so Warp 9! Engage! Watch Picard!

So, it's good, not great. That's ok, right? Right. The Magicians started out ok. And three seasons in (I'm belatedly watching on Netflix) it's become amazing, some of the richest character-driven story telling I've seen on TV. Picard has room to grow and develop and become even better.

Picard does a good job of bringing back beloved characters from 20+ years, one or two to stay into next season it appears, while also bringing us new characters. And I like them all. And it's secondary characters that were pretty great that got forgotten three episodes in that I really hope to see more of.

The modern take -- and make no mistake, as with prior Star Trek's this is obviously influenced by recent state of America -- is interested. The Federation depicted circa 2020 is even more fleshed out and vivid than it could have been in 1990.

But that's also where critiques come in. It feels like the budget is half what it should have been. ST:TNG was a monstrous TV budget for its time. Picard feels like it's an average budget for a modern scifi show on streaming. And there are places where it seems like they just cheaped out.

The storytelling is not tight. The entire setup for the "mystery", the motives for Dahj are never really explained that I can figure. It feels like the writers had the conclusion in mind, and never really figured out a good reason for it to happen, so they just ran with what they had. There's a big middle chunk that never really pays off -- the opening credits really indicates it's a big deal, but it's not.

The writing and performances are generally good to great. The actors do good stuff with their characters. But there are moments, like when a character says, out loud, that he's been burned before and he won't be burned again, that are just groan-worthy. It's the worst of writing to have a character have exposition to say apropos of nothing that they've been emotionally wounded and that's why they've been so obviously acting emotionally wounded. A good show reveals that through the narrative, reveals through actions, reveals it apace over multiple episodes or seasons. Not just show and then say and move on in a single episode.

But...

Picard. I believed this is Picard three decades after I first met him. This is an older man, who has lived and made mistakes and learned from what he experienced in the TV we've seen and in the events we've not seen but are referenced in Picard. I have a working theory of aging: you become more of yourself as you get older. And you've got choices. The two simple choices are to harden, and become the worst of yourself, to become all your grievances and angers and regrets. Or you can grow and become your best self, wiser, building on your emotional strengths and going past your weaknesses from lived experiences. And in Picard I see the man who grew old and grew wiser, and softened and learned to enjoy, or at least accept, things he did not care for before. But also a man who had some terrible experiences in recent years and is struggling still to get past that bitterness towards others and self-hatred over his own mistakes.

I believe in this Picard, 30 years after I believe in the original Picard.

Seven of Nine, I also believed deeply. And she makes a choice that solidified it for me. She is Seven of Nine, 20 years later.

Raffi, Rios, Agnes, Elnor, Soji: These are good, new characters. I think the process for them was a bit erratic at times. Agnes in particular clearly didn't know her arc in advance and so could not bring the full shading of performance that character needed to completely sell her emotional state. But by the end, she was a fully realized character. Rios, on the whole I like a lot, though some elements verge on being too silly. Rafi offers great promise for future seasons.

Do I recommend Picard? Yes. it's worth a try. It's less than 10 hours long in total. It was fun. It's not the best show on streaming right now. But it's enjoyable. And it's time with old friends and getting to make some new friends.

I think I'll rewatch eventually, before season two. Knowing what to expect, I may enjoy it more a second time through.

Francois Caron

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I didn't like Picard all that much. I found it took way too long to get to the point, and when we finally got there, it felt like a B movie invasion of tentacles from space.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
This year I watched the best scifi we've had since ST:TNG invented the modern, big-budget scifi TV genre. It pushes the genre forward with three dimensional characters, a complex and plausible view of the future a few hundred years from now, a sophisticated and modern take on language, and a show solidly grounded in the "science" of science fiction. That is, of course, The Expanse. For me, The Expanse is the spiritual descendant of Star Trek: The Next Generation, through Battlestar Galactica (2004) to give us a post 2010 take on the genre.
I would argue you can include various episodes of The Orville in there.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darrosmed