Star Trek: Picard - Season One - CBS All Access - starring Patrick Stewart

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
Enterprise D doesn’t exist anymore - destroyed at the end of Generations. The “All Good Things” future was never real; it was Q’s fantasy adventure test for Picard.
I would argue that it was real. The brain anomaly was real, there are elements of that future that are are present in Picard, like the comm badges.

But Picard came out of "All Good Things" making different decisions as a result of Q's test, and that changed the timeline. Voyager (and presumably other starships) experienced events that changed the timeline. So it makes sense that there is quite a bit in this 2399 that's different from the future of "All Good Things".

TJPC

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
In TNG, it's explicitly stated that Data's program will allow him to show signs of age, much like Soong's android of Juliana did. I would have no problem of an older-looking Data on Star Trek.
You obviously know more about this than I, and I don’t doubt you are correct, but where does it state this, in an episode or one of the movies?

Jason_V

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
You obviously know more about this than I, and I don’t doubt you are correct, but where does it state this, in an episode or one of the movies?
I pulled this off of Reddit (TNG Season Seven episode "Inheritance"):

LAFORGE: Basically she's a Soong-type android, except everything about her is designed to fool you into thinking she's human.
CRUSHER: She's got tear ducts, sweat glands, even veins and capillaries underneath her skin.
RIKER: Why does the scanner read her as a human?
CRUSHER: Because she has a feedback processor designed to send out a false bio-signal.
LAFORGE: It's part of her aging programme. Not only does she age in appearance like Data, her vital signs change too.

Reactions: Sam Favate

The Obsolete Man

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I pulled this off of Reddit (TNG Season Seven episode "Inheritance"):

LAFORGE: Basically she's a Soong-type android, except everything about her is designed to fool you into thinking she's human.
CRUSHER: She's got tear ducts, sweat glands, even veins and capillaries underneath her skin.
CRUSHER: Because she has a feedback processor designed to send out a false bio-signal.
LAFORGE: It's part of her aging programme. Not only does she age in appearance like Data, her vital signs change too.
I think that was a misspoken line, myself.

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
The lines below is from Chakotay.net, a transcript site I often go to to check dialogue from all the Star Trek series. I’ve not crossed checked them, but they have always been right when I checked.

Terry, I’m not advocating that Data ever comes back. I’m just thinking if there was ever some attempt to bring Data back, there could be a writer who might conjure up the idea that there’s still a bit of him alive in Soji or in those SSD’s that Picard pulled from that machine. Of course B4 still exists in pieces.

I agree Spiner is too old for the role. He even said that at the time he made Nemesis. And he sure did not look like Data in Picard. But the remarkable part I thought was if you closed your eyes, he sounded the same and spoke the same. Spiner has the role down. If they ever wanted to do a flash back or maybe Picard dreams about Data again, a CGI version seems the way to go and Spiner can do the voice. For Picard, Spiner must have felt that the story was too good and the opportunity too good not to do it. He has said if he was asked and said no, the fans likely would hound him and ask why he didn’t do it.

TJPC

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
As I said, we all age, and although I am still devilishly handsome I am sure I look much older than I did 20 years ago. I guess my point is that without some plausible explanation, Brent Spiner could not just resume the part.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I really have no issue whatsoever with Spiner’s appearance. Data “aged” in the show because time doesn’t stand still for actors, and to me it’s just one of those things where I understand what the intent of the story is and it doesn’t matter to me that the human playing the part is inescapably human. What matters to me is the performance - his mannerisms, voice and cadence were all spot on.

I had initially thought and kinda hoped that the season would end with Data being brought back into a body of some sort, but I really liked this ending better. Data’s story arc throughout TNG was his quest to become more human, and understanding and accepting his own death was a really wonderful way to show what he had achieved in his evolution. I don’t think I’d want to “live” in perpetuity as a formless bit of consciousness either. And even if it was technically possible to put Data back into a body... it somehow doesn’t seem as right as what the showrunners went with.

Francois Caron

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I think that was a misspoken line, myself.
Nope. The Star Trek productions at the time were notorious for staying on script. No improvising was allowed. Any changes had to be submitted to the production office for approval. Bill Mumy found that out during his guest appearance on DS9 when he tried to add one word.

Reactions: BobO'Link

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Terminators age, so I don't have issues with Data aging. Or if they had the budget to go full "Gemini Man", Data need not age. :)

Sam Favate

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Last edited:
Reactions: Jason_V

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Premium
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I just watched the episode posted yesterday. Well, they really pulled all the nostalgia strings for old fogeys like me. A tear or two. Who would have guessed how that would have ended up.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Premium
Real Name
Kevin Parcher

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I watched "Déjà Q" and "Yesterday's Enterprise" today. Enjoyed both a lot.

"Déjà Q" added further fuel to my theory, in that Data is the only character Q is respectful toward the entire episode.

"Yesterday's Enterprise" made me want an Enterprise-C series set in 2332 with a younger Captain Rachel Garrett. Since the entire complement of senior officers got wiped out except for helmsman Castillo before the events of the episode, it wouldn't suffer from the usual limitations imposed by a prequel. Not necessarily a full-fledged series, but maybe a limited series about one of the Enterprise-C's more important missions. I'd love to fill in that gap in the lineage of the starships Enterprise.

I did like how the Starfleet uniforms were an evolution of the Wrath of Khan through Generations uniforms of the late 23rd century, in the same way that the Voyager/DS9 uniforms were an evolution of TNG uniforms.
Spurred by previous mention, and wanting to see a good Picard character episode I watched tapestry. Picard post academy, waiting to be shipped out was wearing those same Khan era uniforms. And it looked a bit ridiculous where all of them were hanging out with the chest flap open.

Let's say that was Picard in his 20s, where TNG is Picard in his 50s. I forget, was Narenda 3 and the loss of the Enterprise C 30 years before? That would fit with Worf's age , I think.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Sorry, but Data can’t come back. We all age, but Data does not. Brent Spiner is just too old for the part — I thought he looked very unconvincing as Data now. It was OK for a few small appearances, but unless he had some lame excuse like he wanted to look like everybody else, or heavy CGI was always used with him, I don’t know what they could do.

True, but now with the synthetic ban lifted, slap B4 together, tweak those engrams and presto ! Instant Data!

But we saw his requiem. So that should be it.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I enjoyed the finale, faults, warts, silly crutches and all (atrocious mcguffin tool).

I am delighted that they stuck to their (mostly) original story and didn't include any of the ridiculous recycled TNG elements that were theorized (Q continuum, Lore, etc)

I can't believe they didn't give Picard an extra 20 - 40 years or so.

Great seeing Riker, I didn't expect that or a Starfleet battle fleet at the last minute.

The Data death scene was very impactful, splendidly written and executed.

I have no problem with a lack of TNG era Romulan ships missing after the decimation that the Dominion war took on every one.

I need to rewatch it.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kitchenknives