What's new

Star Trek: Picard - Season One - CBS All Access - starring Patrick Stewart (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
So, loyal paying customers from the start get no free month.

Cool.
Apparently we do -- when I experimentally clicked on "CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION" earlier this evening, I instantly got offered an extra free month. Whether this is directly connected to Sir Patrick's initiative I don't know, but you can definitely snag a free month by this method, too.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Apparently we do -- when I experimentally clicked on "CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION" earlier this evening, I instantly got offered an extra free month. Whether this is directly connected to Sir Patrick's initiative I don't know, but you can definitely snag a free month by this method, too.

Confirmed...

cbsfree.png

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Two questions about the finale (in spoilers, so please respond in spoilers until at least Friday).

What happened to Narek? He wasn't on the bridge at the end, and I don't recall him being referenced after the attempted bombing of the tower.

Do you think the Federation will do anything to the Romulans, now that its known they were behind the Mars attacks?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'll join the consensus in saying that I loved it. I think the thing I loved most about it was that it was a satisfying conclusion. The story being told over this season has been definitively concluded. We weren't left hanging on anything.

Given that it's likely going to be a couple years before we get the next season, I'm glad that this season stands on its own.

Amazing episode. So many badass fist-pump moments. And so many choked-up ones, too. Wow.
It pretty much played out as I expected it to, but that's not a bad thing; a twist or a shock for the sake of being shocking is ultimately far less satisfying than a good story well told.

Two questions about the finale (in spoilers, so please respond in spoilers until at least Friday).

What happened to Narek? He wasn't on the bridge at the end, and I don't recall him being referenced after the attempted bombing of the tower.
Either the Romulan fleet beamed him out, or he's in the synths' custody for the death of Dahj.

Do you think the Federation will do anything to the Romulans, now that its known they were behind the Mars attacks?
I doubt it, as long as the Federation doesn't consider them to be a threat. The attack on Mars was perpetrated by one secretive sect within the Romulan empire. I just don't see the Federation inflicting punishment on the many for the actions of the few.

I would say the major consequence was the lifting of the synth ban, now that the Federation knows what was responsible for the uprising.

I would also guess that Jurati will receive a pardon from the Federation for the murder of Bruce Maddox, since she believed that she was operating under Starfleet orders.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I made a point of looking away during the cast listing in the title sequence, so I was completely surprised and thrilled when Starfleet showed up and the viewscreen went on and it was all “I’m Captain William Riker, screw off Romulans, did you really think I was gonna stay home making pizza?” In an episode that was almost entirely a highlight reel in and of itself, that really got me.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just watched it. Like Adam said, I felt it played out as expected as well. There were a couple of little surprises. And there was one unexpected sequence!

I just saw on the news that Chabon whose a resident of the SF Bay Area was involved with his wife to help local restaurants suffering from the shutdown to buy meals to feed the hard working health care workers!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There was a few other things-

I was thinking when the Federation ships showed up to face off with Oh and the Tal Shiar ships, I wondered if they considered the heavily armed Enterprise D from All Good Things. But Riker did say he was on the federations most powerful ships.

This was not the unexpected scene I referred to above. I was surprised by the scene between Picard and Data. That was extraordinary.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, I called it last week after Part I. The golem turned out to be the writers trap door: they wanted to mine Picard's terminal illness for all it's tears and emotion but could never follow through on it. It made sense, obviously. We all know the show is coming back next year and you don't have Star Trek: Picard without Picard.

But knowing the golem was there and it would be used drained every last bit of emotion from the second half of the episode for me. I should have been beside myself watching Picard die...but I wasn't. I kept thinking there's too much time left in this episode with the golem waiting in the wings.

Now what DID get me was seeing Riker on the bridge of a starship again, with the entire fleet behind him. That leads to a question, though: Commodore Oh is a spy. Why wasn't her personal surrender part of the deal?

There is also a moment at the very end between Raffi and Seven which made me jump off the couch and literally yell at the TV. I'm not sure where that little interaction came from, but I don't see anything in the preceding nine episodes to lead to it.

This was a misfire of a finale for me. A big misfire. It looks good and all that jazz. But the Smack My Head moments just overwhelm anything good about it. And that's sad.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
But knowing the golem was there and it would be used drained every last bit of emotion from the second half of the episode for me. I should have been beside myself watching Picard die...but I wasn't. I kept thinking there's too much time left in this episode with the golem waiting in the wings.

Now what DID get me was seeing Riker on the bridge of a starship again, with the entire fleet behind him. That leads to a question, though: Commodore Oh is a spy. Why wasn't her personal surrender part of the deal?

There is also a moment at the very end between Raffi and Seven which made me jump off the couch and literally yell at the TV. I'm not sure where that little interaction came from, but I don't see anything in the preceding nine episodes to lead to it.

Even without the golem I would have fully expected Picard to survive. They wouldn't do a season 2 without him.

I loved seeing Riker in action again but the standoff itself seemed ridiculous. Hundreds of ships facing off at very close quarters just looked silly and unrealistic, and as a viewer it was hard to tell what was really going on.

(Seems to be a trend with SF franchises to do these ridiculously super-massive space battles now. Didn't really like it in "Rise of Skywalker" either.)

The scene at the end I just loved. Looking forward to them exploring it more in Season 2, both Jurati/Rios and Seven/Raffi.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Even without the golem I would have fully expected Picard to survive. They wouldn't do a season 2 without him.

I agree completely. Which makes all the time and heartbreak over his terminal illness a complete waste of time. They wanted the audience to be invested in it and didn't have the guts to actually kill him.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I enjoyed this series immensely, but found the ending a bit of a let down. It proceeded exactly as I thought it would, and that was the problem. I made the mistake of reading a few accounts on line before I actually saw the finale, and they basically said it was almost “life changing”. I found it conventional.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The ending was really bold. Whether you agree with their choices or not, you have to give them that.

I love the show. I thought it was terrific. The final scene between Picard and Data was amazing. I selfishly wanted Picard to survive on his own, and have Data become the golem. Now, I guess Data is really gone for good.

There was a moment on the bridge of the La Siena when I thought Jurati would take that synth doodad and use it on Picard to fix the thing in his head. I suppose this absolves her of the murder of Bruce Maddox? I guess she was under duress from the Romulans, but that seems like a stretch. But she's clearly part of the crew going forward.

Where are they going exactly? Do they have a mission?

What happened to the Borg on the cube? Surely they didn't all die? (Did Narissa? Villains who disappear into the abyss often come back.)

The thing that was going to come through the portal the synths opened sure looked malevolent. I wish that had been explained more.

The performances were great. The writing too.

We have no idea when season 2 will happen (filming was supposed to begin in April, but that is clearly not happening). But I can't wait for season 2.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Since you guys are bringing up the spoilers....

it was clear one option was to use the golem. And it was an interesting concept that Picard has worked so hard as far back as The Measure of a Man and The Offspring to protect the rights of synthetic life. It was a fitting to end his life by making him a synthetic too. The emotional beats I have to say were not as strong for me as when Spock dies in Wrath of Khan. I figured as you guys did that after they showed the golem, it was going to be used, the part I wasn’t sure of was whose side Soong was on. At one point, I thought maybe Soong might know of an experimental cure for Picard.

The part that I just didn’t see coming was the sit down between Data and Picard in the afterlife. That was pretty cool. That was so unexpected and then to finally end Data’s existence. That really felt final. Even though I’m sure there’s a back-up somewhere of Data.

The whole fleet of ships during the face off was something right out of Rise of Skywalker and the Marvel films. I thought that was over the top too. And the things coming through the portal looked like the same things in Avengers. It was cool to see Riker back in the captain’s seat. As I said above, I wondered if they thought of using the Enterprise D from All Good Things as his flagship. But I’m sure the D is in mothballs.

I agree the last shots of Raffi and Seven was unexpected. Though the Jurati and Rios hook-up wasn’t as a surprise. As it ended, I did wonder where the series will go next season as well.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Enterprise D doesn’t exist anymore - destroyed at the end of Generations. The “All Good Things” future was never real; it was Q’s fantasy adventure test for Picard.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Sorry, but Data can’t come back. We all age, but Data does not. Brent Spiner is just too old for the part — I thought he looked very unconvincing as Data now. It was OK for a few small appearances, but unless he had some lame excuse like he wanted to look like everybody else, or heavy CGI was always used with him, I don’t know what they could do.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Sorry, but Data can’t come back. We all age, but Data does not. Brent Spiner is just too old for the part — I thought he looked very unconvincing as Data now. It was OK for a few small appearances, but unless he had some lame excuse like he wanted to look like everybody else, or heavy CGI was always used with him, I don’t know what they could do.

In TNG, it's explicitly stated that Data's program will allow him to show signs of age, much like Soong's android of Juliana did. I would have no problem of an older-looking Data on Star Trek.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks