What's new

Star Trek: Picard - Season One - CBS All Access - starring Patrick Stewart (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’m having some trouble watching Wheaton doing the Ready Room segments. Part of me is going along with it, part of me is wondering if he’s putting on an act of being so geeky. Maybe it’s because I got used to the evil Wil Wheaton act on The Big Bang Theory. :). I think he’s doing a good job acting as a fan surrogate. And there’s been some good content.

About this newest episode. I was thinking today, Roddenberry would never let this kind of stuff happen! On the Next Generation first season episode Conspiracy, he insisted it has to be an outside influence who was making Starfleet act the way they were. But this isn’t your father’s Star Trek. I’m still on board and I want to see where this goes. I don’t think Patrick Stewart is going to do something to damage the Brand or character of Picard.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
To be fair, Gene would have had some problems with things that happened on Deep Space Nine too, that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t have happened.

The point I take from the show so far is that any great society can crumble and it needs determined, righteous people to set it right.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Agreed Sam regarding DS9. And It was clear in the first two episodes of Picard that Picard is one of the righteous. And I like how Pike is similarly shown as one of the best in Starfleet.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
episode 5 is where i have finally decided this series is dreck. 3 murders in this ep and a graphic beginning, this isn't my vision of the future Trek used to give me and it isn't fun

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
episode 5 is where i have finally decided this series is dreck. 3 murders in this ep and a graphic beginning, this isn't my vision of the future Trek used to give me and it isn't fun
I can certainly understand why this show isn't for you, and that it doesn't deliver what you've enjoyed about Star Trek in the past. But "dreck" seems harsh.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We did not enjoy the first graphic scene in this weeks episode, but my wife and I are still mostly enjoying the rest of the series so far. We did find the dressing up disguises a bit silly however with Picard's accent and pimp outfits on the rest.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
In my current effort to re-view The Next Generation, I just got up to The Measure of A Man, so the timing was perfect and I specifically made time last night to properly view it. I even watched the extended version on the blu ray. Though I’ve not seen the regular version is ages, I can’t recall what was added. :)

It was interesting to see the origins of Maddox and Picard’s very strong feelings for Data and wishing to protect his rights. And as discussed by others already, the argument that Guinan gives Picard about how Maddox’s work could be used to create a race of slaves was certainly an element that’s been used for Star Trek Picard. I had a strong reaction to that. I’d forgotten this element from the episode too. I can’t say I know, but I get the impression that Patrick Stewart or one of the writers remembered this episode and wanted to build the new series around it.

it would be interesting to see if they bring back JAG Captain Phillipa Louvois. Of course we know that Guinan will return next season.

I guess I’ve become a little numb to the gore that was shown in this episode. I agree it was bad and mostly wasn’t part of Star Trek in the past. I’ve never seen Game of Thrones, but being streaming, I guess these new producers want to aim to an audience that’s used to this. I thought Star Trek Discovery already went to this area with Tyler’s transformation. I suppose you could say Star Trek The Next Generation’s episode Conspiracy already went to gore with its depiction of the end of Remmick. On the whole though, Star Trek and it’s past spin off series we’re always guided by broadcast standards so those shows limited what they showed. Or even wanted to show I would guess.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I wondered the same thing Sam. It’s like how did Chekov know who Khan is? I think since Picard knows Admiral Janeway, he will know who that person is.
Chekov knew Khan because it became a part of reported history (As Spock tells Janice Lester that's how she knows the events seen on "The Empath"). The real question is how Khan knew Chekov. Apparently Chekov met Khan while he was on the Enterprise in a lower position before he was promoted to the bridge at the start of season two.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
The only Trek exception to that I can think of is DS9: "Heart of Stone". Salome Jens was not credited in the opening credits (she was in the end credits) to preserve the surprise in that episode. But yeah, it is incredibly rare.

I remember they held off Piper Laurie's credit to the end when she returned to Twin Peaks in season two.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Chekov knew Khan because it became a part of reported history (As Spock tells Janice Lester that's how she knows the events seen on "The Empath"). The real question is how Khan knew Chekov. Apparently Chekov met Khan while he was on the Enterprise in a lower position before he was promoted to the bridge at the start of season two.

I was making a little joke. :) I typed my reply backwards, but I meant it to be jokey because Walter Keonig often joked at Star Trek conventions that Khan met Chekov when they crossed paths in the men’s room.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I was making a little joke. :) I typed my reply backwards, but I meant it to be jokey because Walter Keonig often joked at Star Trek conventions that Khan met Chekov when they crossed paths in the men’s room.

I see. But didn't Khan have the remnants of the SS Botany Bay on the planet? How did he get that? Did Kirk go back and get it? Or did Starfleet recycle it into the freighter ship which was destroyed in "The Ultimate Computer"?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I see. But didn't Khan have the remnants of the SS Botany Bay on the planet? How did he get that? Did Kirk go back and get it? Or did Starfleet recycle it into the freighter ship which was destroyed in "The Ultimate Computer"?

Kirk ordered the ship to be towed to a Starbase, so it was alongside the Enterprise the whole time.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
However, after Khan awoke his crew and seized control of the Enterprise, Khan disengaged the tractor beam and discarded the Botany Bay. What you see in Star Trek 2 on Ceti Alpha are the cargo containers seen in the belly of the refit Enterprise in Star Trek The Motion Picture. The production crew simply reused the design from the first film. That’s what it looks like to me. Of course it’s only a movie, and so they just used a more modern cargo container for Khan’s shelters on the planet. In 1967, they didn’t really specify how Khan and his men and women would be left on Ceti Alpha, so I think they just filled in the blanks for Star Trek 2.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I won't be that harsh with it and I'm always going to be in for anything Trek related...but the way this episode began and ended really, really angered me. Not because of the gore or murders or anything, but because how those two (admittedly minor) characters were treated like utter punks. I'm not a huge fan of either one, but after three years with Icheb on Voyager and how important Maddox is to Data AND this series...I don't understand it. I also don't understand why Jeri Ryan had to be in this series if this is all she does. (If she comes back down the road and plays a bigger part, great. If not...again, I don't understand.)

This was a standalone episode that anyone could jump into, watch and leave again. Like old TNG. Not a fan of these kinds of episodes overall. And less of a fan of this one. Please, no more like this.

I want to love this series, and I admired the first few episodes. "Absolute Candor" was great, to me. This one? Eeehhhhh.....

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My news feed sent me this story which led to the second. The first is an interview with Jonathan Frakes and the second is with Jeri Ryan. Both discuss this latest episode.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...k-creator-gene-roddenberry-would-hate-1280569

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...yan-had-a-tough-time-returning-picard-1279239

Jason, I agree that both characters were treated badly. It seems that today’s writers feel they need to do something big to create the motivation and drama needed to drive the plot or motivate a character. I’m guessing there will be a payoff later for all this.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
^ Except Roddenberry's personal "no conflict" rule was massively unrealistic, artificially contrived, and drama-destroying, something that he concocted way back in the '70s (after he started smoking his own press-releases and buying into his own myth as a self-styled New Age futurist-guru) and which should've been chucked out the airlock the minute TNG went into pre-production. Frakes is correct to have despised it. I had no problem with what this latest episode did, and I'm glad they're going there.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Jason, I agree that both characters were treated badly. It seems that today’s writers feel they need to do something big to create the motivation and drama needed to drive the plot or motivate a character. I’m guessing there will be a payoff later for all this.

I really hope so. And I'm giving the show the benefit of the doubt right now. But when this is all said and done, if there's no payoff, resolution or reason for what happened-and 7 of 9 just being here "because"-I'm not going to be a happy camper.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I hate to be the guy posting links to stories, but I found this interview with Chabon interesting as he’s made a very thoughtful response to the violence in this latest episode. It’s a long response and I’ve read most of it. He’s not unaware of Star Trek’s history and how controversial the choices made are. You may agree or disagree with him.

https://trekmovie.com/2020/02/24/st...n-questions-plus-frakes-interviewed-and-more/

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I really hope so. And I'm giving the show the benefit of the doubt right now. But when this is all said and done, if there's no payoff, resolution or reason for what happened-and 7 of 9 just being here "because"-I'm not going to be a happy camper.

This is a bit of a spoiler but it may address your concern:
Seven will not be in the next episode, but is expected to be in the remaining four after that.I suspect we will get more on her background. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if she returns next season, given that The Doctor is rumored to be appearing as well - Robert Picardo has hinted as much.

I suppose we have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^ If true, I'll get back on board and re-evaluate in the context of a serialized (not episodic) show. I really would like for it to be true.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks