Star Trek: Picard - Season One - CBS All Access - starring Patrick Stewart

The Obsolete Man

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
My biggest problem with the show remains the fact that it's weekly.

This show is in no way set up like a weekly show that has complete episodes. We're just seeing 45 minute snatches of a story. The "episodes" are essentially the acts of one long episode between commercials.

The show would've been better dropping all at once, or I should've waited until it was done to watch it. I'll remember that for season 2.

dpippel

HTF Premium Member
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Doug
I've got a confession to make - it's not clicking with me (or my wife). I haven't seen today's new episode, and I enjoyed the first two pretty much, but last week's just lost me. It's starting to feel forced, and small. I'll watch the new episode, but I'm about done with it, and that disappoints me.

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I feel like you might enjoy this particular one as much as the first two, but if not...in my view it’s always better to walk away than force a thing.

Reactions: dpippel

Sam Favate

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Sam Favate
And, so, as we suspected
Jurati is up to no good. I've seen speculation that she is acting on her own, rather than from influence from Starfleet, but I don't believe that. This has to be tied to her visit from Starfleet Intelligence/ Tal Shiar/ whoever Commodore O is.

Here is speculation on my part:
We've seen a few references to Soji as "the Destroyer," but what if it's Jurati who tries to destroy the Romulans/the Borg/everything?

Also, it was a rather
unceremonious end for an important character like Maddox. I kinda feel like he deserved better, as did poor Icheb.

Sorry for all the spoilers but
it's all so damn spoilery!

Also, next week's episode is titled "The Impossible Box" and is supposed to contain
appearances by Riker and Troi.

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m not convinced Maddox is dead. He could be revived first thing next week.

Reactions: Sam Favate

dpippel

HTF Premium Member
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Doug
I feel like you might enjoy this particular one as much as the first two, but if not...in my view it’s always better to walk away than force a thing.
I agree, Josh, but I find myself continuing to watch because I have a lot nostalgia for TNG and for some of these characters. Unfortunately, those fond memories only make me feel worse about the fact that I'm just not enjoying this show all that much.

joshEH

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh
Poor Icheb. Absolutely brutal.

I'd literally just finished a VOY-rewatch about a week-and-a-half ago, and it was probably a good thing that I did, as viewing seasons 6 and 7 would've been extremely tough after this latest Picard episode. Seven's final words to him were absolutely heartrending, especially given that she was the one who helped him prepare for Starfleet Academy in the first place on the previous show.

Also, LOL at Raffi smoking up with practically everything in known space, but shutting Rios down when he tries to light up a stogie on his own ship.

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Poor Icheb. Absolutely brutal.

I'd literally just finished a VOY-rewatch about a week-and-a-half ago, and it was probably a good thing that I did, as viewing seasons 6 and 7 would've been extremely tough after this latest Picard episode. Seven's final words to him were absolutely heartrending, especially given that she was the one who helped him prepare for Starfleet Academy in the first place on the previous show.

Also, LOL at Raffi smoking up with practically everything in known space, but shutting Rios down when he tries to light up a stogie on his own ship.
Well, even though we didn't see her quit or hear her say she had quit, apparently she was on the wagon during their little jaunt if the scene in the Reproduction place is to be believed.

joshEH

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh
Having just finished the novel Picard: The Last Best Hope earlier this week, it was great seeing several things first brought up in the novel in this new TV episode, including Raffi's estranged son, Gabe, how and why she abandoned him, Elnor's unfamiliarity with "artifice" (read: lying) when playing a fictional character, as well as vids from Dr. Jurati and Bruce Maddox's intimate relationship prior to the Romulan-supernova (including Jurati's love of chocolate-chip cookies).

Last edited:
Reactions: Josh Steinberg

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Jeri Ryan was just on The Talk (I tuned in to see her). Marie Osmond introduced her as the actress who portrayed Seven TO Nine. Or maybe Seven TWO Nine. Either way, Marie is obviously not a Trekker. :)

joshEH

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh
One more thing:

Did Rios actually mention Quark by name when sitting at the bar on Freecloud? Didn't have the captions on when I caught that scene, so maybe I misheard it.

Speaking of that scene, I also quite liked Seven's suggestion that Rios literally wear "a feather" in his pimp-hat; evidently some of Tom Paris and Harry Kim's more-outlandish Voyager holodeck-escapades must've rubbed off on her at some point.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Screenwriter
Premium
Reaction score
Website
thestalkingmoon.weebly.com
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Didn't really care for this episode, the weakest for me so far, by far. I hate to say this, as it is a tired fanboy cliche, but the show is feeling less and less like Star Trek to me. Very dark and bleak (which I know is the intention, but still...) I don't mind dark and bleak if it fits, lots of sci-fi is dark and bleak...but it just doesn't quite sit right in the Trek universe for me, somehow.

On the plus side, it did have a strong finish, and we were spared any scenes with Soji and Narek. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian L

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I find it very difficult to rate serialized television in the middle of the season; it’s a bit like reviewing a book one chapter at a time, when what the creators are working towards is the impact of the whole. I love how the format is working for the show but the nature of this kind of storytelling for me makes it almost impossible to truly judge its merits until it’s done. What might seem like a shortcoming or missed opportunity or strange choice to me now could wind up being a vital moment in hindsight.

But that obviously requires a big commitment from the audience both in time and subscription fees, which is where practical reality comes in - maybe you can’t effectively review a novel chapter by chapter, but you can certainly put it down and not return to it if it doesn’t hold your interest.

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Good points, Josh! Hopefully, the showrunners are building up to something more life-affirming and positive to wrap up the season.
I suspect/hope that Picard will bring all of the secrets and conspiracies to light, which will force those who so easily traded away their principles to face a reckoning of sorts.

I get why TNG and the idea of humanity evolving past conflict is such a winning formula. I understand why Roddenberry wanted to believe we’d reach a time that we could permanently set aside these battles, the war finally won for all of time. But I think there’s also something to be said for this iteration of Trek, which seems to be building toward a thesis of, “we can have a great world and achieve great things, but it’s not a problem to solve once and then move past, but rather, something that we must always be working to achieve and preserve.”

Jeff Flugel

Screenwriter
Premium
Reaction score
Website
thestalkingmoon.weebly.com
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I get why TNG and the idea of humanity evolving past conflict is such a winning formula. I understand why Roddenberry wanted to believe we’d reach a time that we could permanently set aside these battles, the war finally won for all of time. But I think there’s also something to be said for this iteration of Trek, which seems to be building toward a thesis of, “we can have a great world and achieve great things, but it’s not a problem to solve once and then move past, but rather, something that we must always be working to achieve and preserve.”
Oh, trust me, I like conflict. The Original Series was chock full of conflict, which is one of the main reasons I love it so...but it always went hand-in-hand with a sense of hope and humanity's striving to better itself. I do think there is a tendency to dip towards darkness for darkness' sake in the current era, though. Sometimes Picard and Discovery come across as pandering to current trends and tropes. It's a question of tone, not theme, for me. It's a delicate line to tread, to be sure...the franchise must move forward in new directions and attract a younger demographic used to modern serialized storytelling, but it also must appease and excite the longtime fans. I remain hopeful that Chabon and co. will eventually thread that needle.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If Trek has always mirrored the times it was made in, it feels like now is a particular kind of bleak different from the 60s and different from the 80s/90s, so I do feel the darkness is organic. I also think, by virtue of taking a story that in the past would have been told in one or two hours and instead weaving it into a ten hour tapestry, that we see things in more detail and delve deeper into emotions and situations. It may not be that much darker than TNG but just more under the microscope now.

I loved the exchange between Picard and Seven last night when she asked about recovering his humanity after the Borg, and he said he had. Then she asked if he had gotten it all back, and he very quietly said, no. I’ve never seen Picard admit that and it was almost shattering to hear. Here’s this character that’s been a paragon of decency and a beacon of hope and strength and to see that even he’s not immune is sobering. But it’s also hopeful in a way...it makes him like us, and if he can feel that way and still be a great person and challenge himself to do better, then so can we.

And I think that’s a feeling the current showrunners really want to convey to us.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topreplay