1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek: Picard - Season One - CBS All Access - starring Patrick Stewart

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nelson Au, Aug 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Speaking of Worf’s son, when I visited the TNG set in 1994, Jonathan Frakes, who gave my brother and I a personal tour of the TNG sets, told us what a pita the young actor was, saying he was a “pill”. ;)

2. Message #702 of 1055 Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Greg.K

Greg.K Cinematographer

Greg K.
  3. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
  4. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    This just keeps getting better and better :)

5. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

Looks like not much has changed, unfortunately.

[​IMG]

Tino likes this.
  6. Chris Will

Chris Will Screenwriter

Chris WIlliams
    I have an Apple TV 4K and I use the CBS All Access app. Every episode of "Picard" has been in Dolby Vision & 5.1 so far.

[​IMG]

7. Message #707 of 1055 Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Supporting Actor

Philip Verdieck
    Yeah, I just did some googling and that is what it said under Cons: no 4K/HDR.

But I think that was via CBS service, a year or 2 ago.

8. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I don’t get it. I’m using the same set up and no Dolby Vision.

Jeff Brooks likes this.
  9. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I'll have to check my ATV4K app tonight.

10. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    For my new episode/old episode pairing, the obvious choices are:
    Hugh’s prior appearances in “I, Borg” and “Descent, Part II”. But I’m wondering if there is a less obvious but equally fitting choice to be found based more on theme than character appearances.

This was another strong episode, and I can see why the showrunners have suggested that the first three episodes together can be taken as being a whole of sorts. The performances are phenomenal, while the designs and world building honor TNG while bringing that aesthetic into the form of 21st century prestige television.

The most impressive thing the show is doing is introducing a supporting cast that’s as compelling as the main character that I’ve known for decades. I particularly love the vineyard Romulans and would absolutely watch a YouTube cooking show hosted by them.

Jeff Flugel, joshEH and KPmusmag like this.
  11. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    No Dolby Vision on my ATV4K and LG OLED. WTF?

6C72CCB8-6E2E-4573-A814-8857A9505879.

Tino and Jeff Brooks like this.
  12. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    News about CBS All Access, which will be part of the larger ViacomCBS streaming service:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/06/viacomcbs-new-streaming-service-to-include-paramount-cbs-all-access.html

I thought episode 3 was terrific; lots of character development. Not sure about
    Jurati, whether she is a spy for Starfleet intelligence or if she's genuine.
    I thought Michelle Hurd was very good as Raffi, as interesting a character as we have seen. Liked Rios' introduction as well.

The episodes all go by so quickly.

Josh Steinberg and Jeff Flugel like this.
  13. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    I'm so glad the so-called synth revolt was put into question in this episode. Last week, I believed the idea that a whole bunch of synths would simultaneously turn against their masters made no sense whatsoever. If there were grievances between synths and bios , you'd think the synths would have brought them up in discussions with their human counterparts. Instead, it was as if a switch was flipped and all of the synths went completely berserk at that very moment.

It had to have been a hack, and I'm glad the storyline is now asking the same questions. But who was behind the hack?

14. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    I've been watching Picard via the AppleTV app on my AppleTV4. I'm subscribed through Apple. The stream for episode 3 when viewed via the AppleTV app has mono sound. I had to use my credentials to log in via the CBS app on the AppleTV and that played in 5.1. So if you're subscribed via Apple and watching on their app, beware that the audio this week is compromised.

15. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I can't imagine watching this week's episode and not having a smile on your face when Picard says "Engage" and the old theme comes to the forefront of the score.

One of the interesting things for me is trying to pinpoint when the scenes from the trailers are going to arrive. I figured Picard's visit to
    Riker and Troi would happen in this episode, for instance, before he blasted off to the stars. Clearly, that wasn't the case.

I continue to appreciate how the world feels like TNG, only a few decades more advanced. Much more successful than any of the prequel series have been at sliding into the timeline.

I agree. I think part of the appeal is that none of them would have fit in on TNG. With the exception of maybe Dr. Jurati, I don't think Gene Roddenberry would have approved of any of them.

I think she genuine. The twins are basically her holy grail. That doesn't mean that Commodore Oh isn't using her in some way, however.

In interviews, the writers compare Dr. Jurati to Sylvia Tilly from "Star Trek Discovery", noting that they're both socially awkward. But the difference to me is that Jurati is an adult, while Tilly comes across as immature for her age. I really love Alison Pill's performance; she's about the closest a fictional character has come to the women in STEM I know in the real world.

I like that the years between Nemesis and "PIcard" are filled with people we don't know. It makes the universe feel bigger and more real.

It's interesting that Santiago Cabrera is playing both Rios and his ship's emergency holograms. It's a way of externalizing the character's internal debates.

Plus, the synths weren't sentient like Data was sentient. The first few episodes have made it pretty clear that the Federation was never able to replicate Noonian Soong's advances in cybernetics. So the idea that the synths would have the autonomy to launch a Cylon-style revolt is pretty implausible.

The two leading candidates so far seem to be:
    1. The Zhat Vash, the technology hating secret Romulan cabal
    2. The anti-Romulan faction within Starfleet
    My guess is that the former perpetrated the attack and the latter were happy to take advantage of the crisis to get their way.

Doug Wallen and Josh Steinberg like this.
  16. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Gene Roddenberry smoked plenty of weed; it’s about time someone on one of these shows did too :D

I must’ve missed the chyron last week, but I love that Raffi actually lives at Vazquez Rocks for real, not just another location being played by VR as I figured last week.

17. Greg.K

Greg.K Cinematographer

Greg K.
    Absolutely!

Dr. Jurati reminds me more of Dr. Gillian Taylor from ST IV TVH, in a good way.

18. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    A friend asked me a very good question.

If synths are now illegal, why are there still EMHs?

19. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate

If we consider that everything we've seen essentially plays out in real time, that means Picard knew Data for 15 years (1987-2002 in our time) and now Data has been gone for 20 or almost 20 years (2002-2020), so Data has been gone longer than Picard knew him. It also means he's spent more time without the Enterprise crew than with them.

All of that is a long way of saying that it makes sense there would be a lot of new faces in and out of Picard's life, since more time has gone by than we originally saw on the show and in the movies.

Fans have been craving a post-TNG/DS9/Voy series for a while now, and I'm glad this one doesn't disappoint.

20. Message #720 of 1055 Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Chris Will

Chris Will Screenwriter

Chris WIlliams
    Which subscription plan are you using? I'm on the $9.99 commercial free plan. Saw a few post on Reddit theorizing that it may be locked behind the commercial free plan.

Also saw this on reddit:
    I have never had my CBS app linked to the TV app because I hate the TV app. So, may be worth a try. Here is how to unlink an app from the TV app: https://www.imore.com/how-use-tv-app-apple-tv#remove