What's new

Star Trek: Picard - Season One - CBS All Access - starring Patrick Stewart (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Discovery, and all pre-Discovery Trek shows, are on Netflix, true. However, Picard is only available on Amazon Prime outside of North America, as far as I'm aware.
As said before, “Discovery” and “Picard” are watched by this family in Canada on the cable channel called Sci/Fi. It is a channel coming with our cable package. CBS all access is not available in Canada.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
As said before, “Discovery” and “Picard” are watched by this family in Canada on the cable channel called Sci/Fi. It is a channel coming with our cable package. CBS all access is not available in Canada.

And my point was that outside of North America (thus, not Canada), Picard is not available on Netflix, but on Amazon Prime.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Definitely in the "meh" camp for "Maps and Legends." It simply didn't grab me like "Remembrance" did the week before. I like the stuff on the Borg artifact, I like the stuff on the Picard homestead...I did not like a thing at Starfleet. Aside from how Picard is treated, I very clearly saw the Anaheim Convention Center in every single scene and I kept saying "hey, I was there last summer!"

I get Starfleet being angry with Picard for his comments. I really do. It makes sense: he threw them under the bus and is now asking for something. What I don't get is the reasoning. Based on what Clancy said, fourteen planets were going to pull out of the Federation if they continued to help the Romulans.

I'm sorry...what? What Federation is this? Because you decide to help a mortal enemy, planets can withdraw and the Federation implodes? Which planets were they? If it's not Earth, Vulcan, Kronos and a handful of others, are they all that germane to the Federation? As of the end of Voyager, the only legit and real threat in the quadrant WAS the Romulans. If you make peace overtures and help them NOT GO THROUGH A MASS GENOCIDE, there's a pretty good chance they enter the Federation. And all the major powers are working together going forward.

How is THAT not worth it in the long run? The episode lost me when it tried to make that argument and it never recovered.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I get Starfleet being angry with Picard for his comments. I really do. It makes sense: he threw them under the bus and is now asking for something. What I don't get is the reasoning. Based on what Clancy said, fourteen planets were going to pull out of the Federation if they continued to help the Romulans.

I'm sorry...what? What Federation is this? Because you decide to help a mortal enemy, planets can withdraw and the Federation implodes? Which planets were they? If it's not Earth, Vulcan, Kronos and a handful of others, are they all that germane to the Federation? As of the end of Voyager, the only legit and real threat in the quadrant WAS the Romulans. If you make peace overtures and help them NOT GO THROUGH A MASS GENOCIDE, there's a pretty good chance they enter the Federation. And all the major powers are working together going forward.

How is THAT not worth it in the long run? The episode lost me when it tried to make that argument and it never recovered.
It was pretty clear from the implications that the fourteen Federation member-worlds very likely had significant issues with Romulus probably going back centuries. As we know from all the way back in TOS, the Romulan Star Empire was one of the most despotic, brutal regimes in the entire known galaxy, and it would be no surprise at all to learn that most or all of those fourteen worlds were either directly terrorized or negatively affected by Romulus in the past, hence why they'd be staunchly opposed to granting it humanitarian disaster-relief in the present day.

And as TNG and DS9 established, quite a few UFP member-worlds were vital to the Federation's overall defense by the 24th Century that weren't necessarily Earth, Vulcan, Andor, etc., and if some of them were to threaten to pull out, it would leave some massive holes in the alliance's defenses (not to mention the galactic economy). And of course as we've seen, many of them as nearly as hostile to each other in terms of their rhetoric and politics as they are towards the Klingons and Romulans, and so would be plausibly susceptible to internal pressure to at least threaten to withdraw over something like this.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It was pretty clear from the implications that the fourteen Federation member-worlds very likely had significant issues with Romulus probably going back centuries. As we know from all the way back in TOS, the Romulan Star Empire was one of the most despotic, brutal regimes in the entire known galaxy, and it would be no surprise at all to learn that most or all of those fourteen worlds were either directly terrorized or negatively affected by Romulus in the past, hence why they'd be staunchly opposed to granting it humanitarian disaster-relief in the present day.

And as TNG and DS9 established, quite a few UFP member-worlds were vital to the Federation's overall defense by the 24th Century that weren't necessarily Earth, Vulcan, Andor, etc., and if some of them were to threaten to pull out, it would leave some massive holes in the alliance's defenses (not to mention the galactic economy). And of course as we've seen, many of them as nearly as hostile to each other in terms of their rhetoric and politics as they are towards the Klingons and Romulans, and so would be plausibly susceptible to internal pressure to at least threaten to withdraw over something like this.

Eh, I know what you're saying, but I have a problem with that argument. The Klingons were much bigger baddies in ST VI and were on the verge of extinction because of Praxis. Aside from the contingent who opposed helping and the peace talks, no one actually talked about leaving the Federation. I get it's a different time, etc.

But seriously, 14 worlds out of the entire Federation opposed? Unless they were on a UN-style security council, doesn't majority rule? We don't know enough, to be sure.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I always assumed that the Federation worked closer to the American states under the Articles of Confederation, with the various members retaining their sovereignty and freedom except in the areas specifically delegated to the Federation (scientific development, space exploration, and mutual defense). Or perhaps, given the Cold War influences, an alliance similar to NATO.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It generally works however the writers of a particular project need it to work :D

Someone in this or one of the other Trek threads - and I’m so sorry to have forgotten who said it, please come and claim credit - made the excellent point that Picard during TNG, as captain of a fairly autonomous ship working huge distances away from the home office, could represent the best of Starfleet and the Federation while being in a position to not observe or have to participate in some of the shadier stuff that they might engage in.

That same point was made last season in Discovery, when it’s revealed that Pike’s Enterprise was intentionally ordered to sit out the Klingon war so that it the Federation lost everything, at least somewhere in the galaxy, the very best ideals of humanity as represented by Pike and his crew could continue on. On one hand, that’s the writers seeking cover for why the ship hadn’t been mentioned during the war; on the other hand, it backs up the idea that individual captains could be more noble than the organization they work for.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I'm fine with the Romulan Conspiracy angle. Romulans have always been paranoid about everything n the Universe ever since they've rejected the teachings of Surak and left Vulcan. In fact, the entire Vulcan/Romulan species would have been completely wiped out by other worlds fed up with them if Surak hadn't told a good number of Vulcans to stop being such a bunch of highly emotional whiny little bitches. :D

Also, the "F" bomb towards Picard was well deserved. He did throw the entire Federation under the bus in that interview. As for the use of foul language in the show, Picard did swear in TNG, albeit in French.

For the record, Patrick Stewart's French is TERRIBLE! It's a good thing there were subtitles! :lol:

Last edited:

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Do any of you watch The Ready Room with Wil Wheaton? It's on CBS AA and is always about the latest episode of Picard. This week has an interview with Akiva Goldsman that I found very interesting.

Anyway, I mention it because he has at the end of each episode a clip or a preview of next week's Picard episode. In the clip that we see for episode 3,
Hugh is back and seems to be the man in charge of the Borg cube where Soji works.

I need to get off my butt and start watching this

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Not to be all contrary but I kinda like that one. It’s one of those season 2 things that has an odd, late night, b-movie quality to it. There’s a lot of that season that I ended up growing to like more than it merited when the Blu-ray set came out.

But hey, I’m the guy who likes “The Royale” :D

(My worst episode would probably be one of the occasional middle or later season episodes that was just trying way too hard.)

Agreed. I love the Royale for the base concept, that an alien race would construct a fantasy location for a lost human astronaut to live out his days.

That raises its quality for me and makes it rewatchable.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I never actually remember the resolution of the episode for whatever reason so it’s always like the first time when I put it on. That may be the result of always starting it at 3am :)

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Question for streamers. I have signed up for CBS All Access through Prime for ease.

What quality can you get?

I see no way to pick an HD/HDR stream, unlike Prime series or paying extra on Netflix.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I subscribe to it directly and I’m getting HD quality picture with 5.1 surround for Picard.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Over the years, every character got there own episodes to shine and that's how we really grew to know many of these characters. With the current format, I don't think we will ever get a memorable episode like "The Inner Light", "Yesterday's Enterprise", "Far Beyond the Stars", "Living Witness" and countless more. Do you think we will ever have a single episode of "Discovery" (or "Picard") remembered like those? After 2 seasons of "Discovery", there isn't a single episode that lingers in my mind. The overall story does to a degree but, not one single episode.

Season one's "Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad" (nominated for a Hugo).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Seems like there’s been episodes of Discovery that has focused on Saru, Tilly, Pike, Stamets and Culber, Airiam, and more.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Question for streamers. I have signed up for CBS All Access through Prime for ease.

What quality can you get?

I see no way to pick an HD/HDR stream, unlike Prime series or paying extra on Netflix.
I don't believe CBS All Access offers HDR programming. It does have HD and 5.1 sound, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks