What's new

Star Trek: Picard - Season One - CBS All Access - starring Patrick Stewart (2 Viewers)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
And Seven of Nine? That was unexpected.
What's interesting to me is that as much as she became humanized over the course of "Voyager", she feels two decades more humanized in that brief scene. Closer to other Jeri Ryan characters.

There are, roughly, three people rescued from The Borg in the entire Federation... Picard, Seven, and Icheb. Only makes sense they'd all meet up at some point. Especially with late-era Picard's obsession.
They're probably acquaintances from the Borg survivors' support group.

The show looks great from the trailer.
Yes. Before I was interested in the show because Patrick Stewart was back as Jean-Luc Picard. Now I'm interested in the story being told. So the trailer did its job.

It appears the rumors about Brent Spiner were true. The de-aging effect, while not perfect, is better than I expected it would be.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Purely by total cosmic coincidence, taken as I was walking through one of the terminals at Frankfurt International Airport in Germany just this morning...

A580AB44-55ED-40C9-A3E7-FAD42A8B585D.jpeg
A4567FA6-71DF-4793-B784-12DA09C335A2.jpeg

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Trailer looks great. Apparently, Brent Spiner and Jonathan Del Arco joined Stewart on stage. They also said Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis will make appearances on the show. (If four of the original cast members are involved, Michael Dorn, LeVar Burton and Gates McFadden can't be far behind.)

One of the most pleasing parts of the trailer is that they seem to be righting the biggest wrong of Nemesis and are reviving Data.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
One of the most pleasing parts of the trailer is that they seem to be righting the biggest wrong of Nemesis and are reviving Data.
I liked his death scene. Part of Data's goal of becoming more human was the possibility that he would die one day, and the way he died showed how his humanity very likely surpassed most other people's humanity.

However, chances are he'll be very annoyed at being reactivated since that would mean he hasn't successfully "died" the last time he tried it! :D

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sam, I’m not going to get too excited that Data is really back.

That shot of Data playing cards with Picard may be a Holodeck simulation. But it would be cool if Data’s memory engrams were successfully impressed onto B4.

I like that the trailer showed a much more human Seven of Nine, maybe she goes by Annika now.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Without the addition of past characters this series would look much less attractive to me. In fact, the only reason I even got excited by the trailer was the presence of Data. And Jeri Ryan who is clearly a long way from 'Seven of Nine'.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That trailer makes me more interested than I was before, but not enough to subscribe.

I liked the board that said " THIS FACILITY HAS GONE _5843_ DAYS WITHOUT AN ASSIMILATION"

16 years? Any relevance to that?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I liked his death scene. Part of Data's goal of becoming more human was the possibility that he would die one day, and the way he died showed how his humanity very likely surpassed most other people's humanity.

However, chances are he'll be very annoyed at being reactivated since that would mean he hasn't successfully "died" the last time he tried it! :D

I pretty much despised every frame of Nemesis. Anything they can do to undo that movie, I will support. I hated that Data died. It seemed so pointless. Like they were saying "We're ending the TNG films, so let's kill off a beloved character." I really hate that sort of thing.

Nelson, I do concede that Data and the cards could well be a holodeck thing. Maybe the restoration of Data is the goal of the show. I did wonder if the body parts could be Data, rescued from the wreckage. Why would B4 be disassembled?

Jeri Ryan looked terrific. For one thing, she always looked better with her hair down, and not so severe in that bun. For another, it is wonderful that she is wearing real clothes and not those absurd catsuits. And Jonathan Del Arco is back! How cool is that?

Can't wait to see Frakes and Sirtis in costume too. Both actors tweeted their involvement today. It seems Frakes was supposed to be there but had a cancelled flight or something.

I continue to believe we will see Burton, Dorn and McFadden, and maybe even Wheaton and Goldberg.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Totally didn't expect all the familiar faces to pop up in the trailer, but it did confirm what I've been saying all along: by placing this show in the future, it opens up anyone and everyone from TNG/DS9/VOY to pop up to make an appearance. We have Seven (Voy), Data/B4 (TNG) and Riker and Troi (TNG) so far. It stands to reason everyone else will pop up, including Guinan. She'd be a natural with the story apparently dealing with the Borg.

Pretty excited about this now and I can start to see the Trek gameplan for CBS All Access in 2020. The new Short Treks roll out in the fall, maybe Thanksgiving through Christmas 2019. Picard debuts in January and runs through mid-March. After a little hiatus, Discovery takes over from there, going through the summer/early fall. And then Lower Decks picks up at the end of the year.

That gives the network Trek through the entire year to promote and keep people watching. I'm impressed right now with what we've seen and, based on Discovery Season 2, I'm happy with the people running these shows.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm not in love with the delay from 2019 to 2020, but the pragmatist in me is aware that in terms of my personal scheduling, early next year will be more convenient for me than late this year. So while I'm not ready to send out a "thank you for delaying" telegram, it's probably gonna work out better for me this way.

Hopefully starting the show in 2020 after the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays have ended will allow them to roll-out all episodes without a lengthy mid-season hiatus like Discovery had in season one. I much preferred the Discovery season two model where they didn't take any weeks off once the season began.

One thing I want to add to this post: I've seen a bunch of similar comments both regarding this show and The Orville and the fact that they're on streaming platforms vs. linear ad-supported broadcast on a free network, both on HTF and around the internet. I'm seeing tons of comments with people expressing interest in the show while also stating upfront their refusal to consider paying for it. Those comments just reinforce my oft-stated belief that the biggest hurdle that content producers face today and in the years to come is not getting people interested in their content, but rather, getting people to pay for the content that they consume. There are so many people who have been waiting for a show like this for so long - both fans of TNG specifically and Trek fans in general eager to see what the Star Trek universe looks like post-Nemesis - and yet, I'm seeing what I consider to be a disturbingly high number of "not interested unless it comes in my first choice of distribution methods and price" comments being made in reference to both shows. And, for what it's worth, I just want to point out that while people shouldn't pay for stuff they're not interested in, if you're interested in Picard but not watching it because you believe it should be on a free network and not streaming - the message the studio will take from your not watching isn't that they should move it to a broadcast channel. The message the will take is, "There aren't as many people interested in this as we thought, and without a viable audience, we can't continue to produce new episodes."

For years, we've begged CBS and Paramount to treat Trek with respect. It's finally happening. New Trek content is being made and the showrunners are being given access to premium budgeting normally reserved for prestige channels like HBO and shows like "Game of Thrones," and the showrunners are being granted the freedom to make the best shows they can make without the time constraints that held them back in the past. This seems like a very good thing to me. While I personally miss the old model of TV shows being totally free and producing 20-30 new episodes per year, that method of production and style of distribution is ending and not coming back. I'm glad that the people making Trek aren't trying to make a show for a media landscape that no longer exists, but rather, making the show in a way that will allow the show to be successful on today's terms. The more these shows succeed in capturing a paying audience, the more we'll get. And frankly, there are few things I enjoy more than Star Trek. If I can pay almost $30 for a single movie ticket to see the latest Marvel movie, it doesn't seem unreasonable that I'm being asked to pay about $6 a month (or about $18 over the course of a season of a new Trek show) to get what's in essence a 10 or 15 hour movie.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
While I personally miss the old model of TV shows being totally free and producing 20-30 new episodes per year, that method of production and style of distribution is ending and not coming back.

This is just the beginning. Going forward, most if not all quality shows will be on for-pay streaming services. This is the death of cable, and the beginning of something else.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This is just the beginning. Going forward, most if not all quality shows will be on for-pay streaming services. This is the death of cable, and the beginning of something else.

Probably broadcast too for prerecorded programming.

If I was an advertiser choosing where to spend my ad dollars, I’d be wary of spending them on television advertising for anything other than a live event. As a consumer, there’s zero incentive for me to watch a filmed program the moment it’s broadcast - I’ll just have to sit through commercials I don’t want to see. Meanwhile, it’s ridiculously easy to DVR a program and start watching it moments after it begins so that you can skip commercials. The moment that capability became widespread is the moment TV advertising lost its value. It’s just taken them a while to realize it. Networks already know it, which is why they’re so quick to the chopping block if something doesn’t instantly do numbers from an era that’s not relevant to how we consume media today.

But on the plus side, shows like Star Trek and The Orville would simply be canceled in years past, never mind that a good if not earth shattering number of viewers love those shows. Now, in today’s landscape, we get to vote directly with our dollars. That may seem less advantageous at first, until you realize that the streaming outlets don’t need to match broadcast ratings from 1987 for something to be viable. It just means that we have to pay for it.

And if that’s the case, there’s nothing I’m happier to pay for than Star Trek.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I was initially against paying what I consider extra for just one show (ST: Discovery). Discovery's first season was viewed on the bluray set, the show was tolerable and the hints for season 2 with the appearance of Enterprise and the casting of Capt. Pike enticed me to sign up for All Access. As the season progressed, the show grew on me and the reality of a Picard show, the short treks as well as the over hyped Twilight Zone (sure hope season 2 is better ;)) encouraged me to keep it.

$6 is not much and there are many "classic" older series available that I have enjoyed revisiting. Our family dropped cable tv and only have cable internet. We are using Hulu, Netflix, CBS all access, Tubi (like a free Netflix = commercials), Pluto (specific genre channels) and in the fall will use Sling Orange (wife is a hockey fan). I find the cost of these services less than our former cable bill and a benefit to us. I don't mind paying for what I want to watch. As it stands, I only turn on the tv when I want to watch something, it is not on just to be on. It has been refreshing to be able to sit down when I want and watch content I prefer when I want (since streaming allows me the freedom to set my own schedule of viewing). I say bring on better stories, shorter seasons and year round Trek (makes this original fan very happy!!!). Worth the investment.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
CBS All Access also makes it easy to cancel and resubscribe, so I just join when they have something I want, and then cancel when it’s over, and resubscribe when something else I want pops up. I like it. I pay for what I want to see and then don’t pay when I’m not using it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks