What's new

Star Trek (original) (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Ethan Riley said:
I just hope they don't take four years between movies. That was ridiculous. Two years is about right. And anyway, is Abrams even doing the next one? Sounds to me like he's moved on to another galaxy, far far away, and I don't mean the Shrek Universe...
I have said on a earlier thread that I do not care for the new direction of the films. The timeline messing did me in after the 1st film to the point I have no interest in any future films.

Shatner/Nimoy/Nichols are in the 80s and George Takei is 76. In 3 years the original cast will all be in their 80s with Nimoy and Shatner close to 85. It would be nice to pay homage to the Star Trek TOS as it was reason the brand has been strong for over 50 years.

I would also be happy if they did something with Star Trek Enterprise as way to fill in the holes between Enterprise and Star Trek TOS. Yes, Enterprise touch on areas like how T'Pau came to power or the Eugenics Wars or going to Andorian, etc. There are still loose ends like founding of the federation of planets or going back to planets like the bread and circus or piece of action or other planets.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
So...what are you saying? That the new film series should just give up, and replace the cast with a bunch of people in their 80s? Or do a film based on Enterprise, which was pretty much a failure that even hardcore fans didn't watch?

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
It is interesting to think about where the Star Trek franchise should go next. I can't see them standing pat with what they have for syndication. My take is that:

In my mind, these current movies are just to keep Star Trek relevant, as well as to cash in on the CGI fest action movies that are so common today. Even though I very much enjoyed Enterprise (flaws and all), it was probably thought to be to risky to keep that group together for upcoming movies based on many of the fan reactions. Since they couldn't really bring back the old cast, TNG has done its thing movie wise, and DS9 and Voyager have nothing else to give, they probably felt they needed to use familar characters with a youthful feel. I don't have a problem with the new movies in that they can be entertaining (and they are Star Trek), but I wouldn't want them to go too far rewriting history in a parallel universe. I don't fear that either since we are probably just talking four or so movies max before that cast breaks up and wants to do other things.

That leads to the Star Trek bread and butter approach, develop a new TV series. To do this this right they probably need the money generated from these current movies to ensure the quality fans expect. I can't see them just jumping even farther in the future. They've done the wandering spacecraft, the space station, and even the beginnings. So my take would be to either continue where Enterprise left off with a new cast and the formulation of the Federation dealing with the Vulcan's, Klingon's, and Andorians (potentially throwing in a guest appearance here and there from Enterprise). Or deal with some other aspects of the basic TNG, DS9, Voyager timeline such as colonization or a freighter that could include guest appearance from those old shows for familarity.

That's my thoughts at least.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Brad,I too loved Enterprise. I wonder if we will ever see a large-screen film featuring either the DS9, VOY, or ENT casts? Probably not, but I am still hopeful for a film with any of these casts.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Scott,

Honestly, I think too much time has passed for DS9 and Voyager. Plus, from my recollection their story arcs basically concluded. Enterprise, on the other hand, while having an ending point could have gone on to formulate the Federation of Planets, but I don't see that happening either. Too many people disliked Archer, they killed off Trip, and really disrespected the cast in that last episode focused on the TNG characters (I try to forget that episode exists).

Now if they started a new series they could bring in anyone from the previous series as special guests (either cameo's, descendents, or new characters just for fun). I have to think they are trying to come up with a new series. They can't just rely on a few movies and syndication. If they did do a new series I would hope they could include the actor Jeffrey Combs in it somewhere. he did a great job in Enterprise as the Andorian Captain Shran, as well as his role in DS9 as part of the Dominion.

With TNG hopefully complete on Blu-ray mid-2014, I'm hoping DS9 is next on the list.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Brad,

I too love Jeffrey Combs as Shran, and in DS9 (as both Brunt and Weyoun). I think there was at least one episode of DS9 in which he played both parts, but I can't recall the title without looking it up.

Sorry to take this thread slightly off-topic.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i think shatner should be in the next movie. they could have a kirk from the future travel to the past to help kirk out in some way. we have now seen spock twice in the two movies. kudos to nimoy.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
The next movie will have a new director as such there could be new writers/plots. There are many options that you could look at like Andoria conflict with vulcan or introduce the pirates of orion or other new characters. Andoria could be a great option as they have had conflict with the Vulcans.

Going back in time may be an option as well, like Star Trek did with the whales. It would neat seeing the Pine in like the 1980s!!!

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Ockeghem said:
Brad,

I too love Jeffrey Combs as Shran, and in DS9 (as both Brunt and Weyoun). I think there was at least one episode of DS9 in which he played both parts, but I can't recall the title without looking it up.

Sorry to take this thread slightly off-topic.
I believe it was 'The Dogs of War' from the final season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks