3. Amok Time
4. Mirror, Mirror
5. Metamorphosis
6. Where No man Has Gone Before
7. The Ultimate Computer
8. Balance of Terror
9. Spectre of the Gun
10. Journey to Babel

Does The Cage Count? If it does put it at #1 and move everything else down. It was pretty tough to pick only 10. I have several more that could have made my list.

In recent years I notice A Piece of the Action shows up alot on people's lists. I remember when most fans had it as one of the least favorites, then Voyage Home came out and suddenly Piece of the Action is a favorite.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by Bob_S.
Here are my favorites:

1. Arena
2. The Doomsday Machine
3. Amok Time
4. Mirror, Mirror
5. Metamorphosis
6. Where No man Has Gone Before
7. The Ultimate Computer
8. Balance of Terror
9. Spectre of the Gun
10. Journey to Babel

Does The Cage Count? If it does put it at #1 and move everything else down. It was pretty tough to pick only 10. I have several more that could have made my list.

In recent years I notice A Piece of the Action shows up alot on people's lists. I remember when most fans had it as one of the least favorites, then Voyage Home came out and suddenly Piece of the Action is a favorite.

It is good seeing that people have their own choices around their favourite episode. I bought S1-S3 digitally re-mastered and i tell you it is amazing some of the images. I have the original series, but, i can not watch it now that i am exposed to the re-mastered episodes. My favourite re-mastere episodes based on them being re-mastered

1. Doomsday Machine
2. Enterprise Incident
3. Paradise Syndrome
4. Naked Time
5. Ultimate Computer
6. Amok Time
7. Balance of Terror
8. Space Seed
9. Tholian Web
10. Tomorrow is yesterday

I like the set, but, i was most impress with the episodes that show lots of exterior shots of vessels, planets, etc. The phasers firing is also very impressive along with the background images. I have watch all the re-mastered episode and it was like watching them all over again.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Not to change the subject, but last night I was watching The cloud minders episode for the first time on blu ray, or any format . I was suprised by how good this episode was. Good enough to be a season 1 episode. My top 5 are Arena , The cage, Menagerie , Enterprise incident, Where no man has gone before.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by Xenia Stathakopoulou
Not to change the subject, but last night I was watching The cloud minders episode for the first time on blu ray, or any format . I was suprised by how good this episode was. Good enough to be a season 1 episode. My top 5 are Arena , The cage, Menagerie , Enterprise incident, Where no man has gone before.
The cloud miners image of stratos are amazing. The re-mastered star trek is like watching star trek all over again. The epsides with more external images, including ships, planets, buildings are the best viewing. You should watched the doomsday epiosde, because it is amazing!!

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
younger1968 said:
Thats another good remastered episode. Im going to have to watch some of the episodes on blu ray, with the original effects. Maybe cloud minders tonight.
The cloud miners image of stratos are amazing. The re-mastered star trek is like watching star trek all over again. The epsides with more external images, including ships, planets, buildings are the best viewing. You should watched the doomsday epiosde, because it is amazing!!

GregK

Screenwriter
Speaking of rare extras and pilots-

What was nice for me on the Bluray Season Three release was Paramount (finally) offered a clean copy of the NBC Screening version of "Where No Man Has Gone Before". Plus on the Blu version, the Cage can be in viewed with or without the new CGI special effects ..or with the original mono audio mix.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I watch Star Trek (TOS) from time to time depending on my mood. The other night i watched the re-mastered Arena episode and love the outdoor scenes, including the star base/planet background, etc The Gorn creature is neat! The Star Trek Animated shows the Gorn (Time Warp).

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
younger1968 said:
I watch Star Trek (TOS) from time to time depending on my mood. The other night i watched the re-mastered Arena episode and love the outdoor scenes, including the star base/planet background, etc The Gorn creature is neat! The Star Trek Animated shows the Gorn (Time Warp).
Younger,
I love Arena. My children love that one too (even my youngest daughter, who used to be quite afraid of the Gorn). There is that one scene where the Gorn comes closer and closer to the camera -- you get the idea! But she also liked the scenes where the Gorn was 'peeking' over the rocks, and when it snickered while forming its diabolical plans to thwart Capt. Kirk.

SimonTemplar

Stunt Coordinator
Arena is a great episode. It's brilliantly directed and the move from cosy-friendlyness of thew atmosphere in the transporter room to surprise and immediate battle stations when they arrive on the planet surface, is one of my favourite ST moments.
Some great Shatner action moves too.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Simon,
Good points. I love the huge set in that one, too. And in the history of television, do you think anyone was as lucky a shot with rocks and bombs as Capt. Kirk was in that episode? Not once, not twice, but *three* times he hits his target. One would think it was in the script. ;)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Fans of Arena (an episode that I really enjoy) would probably enjoy Frederic Brown's original story. I first encountered it in the SF Writers of America Hall of Fame collection in the early 1970s.
- Walter.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
And the minute you start reading Fredric Brown, you're going to want to read even more of his stuff, especially the pulp detective material, as well. Great stories. Great mind. Easily should be in the same level category as Ray Bradbury, Richard Matheson, Charles Beaumont and Rod Serling.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Easily should be in the same level category as Ray Bradbury, Richard Matheson, Charles Beaumont and Rod Serling.
+1. I've mostly read his short SF fiction and Brown's ability to create context and an environment with a minimal use of words is unparalleled.
- Walter.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i decided to watched A Taste of Armageddon as tribute to the 46th anniversary of star trek. The show is still strong after 46 years. I am looking forward to 2013 and release of the next star trek movie!!
Live long and prosper Star Trek!!!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have both the re-mastered and the original non-remastered episodes of star trek. I also have all the movies (TOS) and the star trek animated series. I am huge fan since i was a kid and not in my mid forties and still love the show. I watch the new movie when it came out a few years ago and found it was ok, but i was not impressed with the time line changes as it nullified the original series. I read something the new movie is supposed to introduce an old character/friend and the rumor is the name could be Gary Mitchell. Gary Mitchell's character was introduced in the 2nd pilot as person the has ESP, but power to go beyond ESP and becomes a threat. Gary Mitchell was never mentioned in the first movie, so i will very curious of the character development in the upcoming movie. The plot has been very secretive as such it is hard to get real understanding what direction the film will take!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by younger1968
I watch the new movie when it came out a few years ago and found it was ok, but i was not impressed with the time line changes as it nullified the original series.
Well, that's wrong. Nothing in Trek X says everything that came in the Prime Universe does not exist anymore. Presumably, the only changes there are (1) Spock being gone (2) Nero and his ship being gone and (3) Romulus being destroyed. Everything else is still in place. If Paramount ever chose to go back to that timeline, they most certainly could rather easily.
This is an alternate timeline, not a timeline that replaced the Prime Universe.
Sidenote: you may want to use spoiler tags when talking about the new movie in any non-movie threads.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Jason_V said:
Well, that's wrong.  Nothing in Trek X says everything that came in the Prime Universe does not exist anymore.  Presumably, the only changes there are (1) Spock being gone (2) Nero and his ship being gone and (3) Romulus being destroyed.  Everything else is still in place.  If Paramount ever chose to go back to that timeline, they most certainly could rather easily.  This is an alternate timeline, not a timeline that replaced the Prime Universe. Sidenote: you may want to use spoiler tags when talking about the new movie in any non-movie threads.
Jason, I am not saying anything that is not be publicized, so using the spoiler tags makes no sense. You can say what you want, but JJ Abrams created a new timeline that nullifies the original series. Star Trek tos went to vulcan twice in the tv series, but vulcan is now destroy so those episodes do not exist anymore. TOS should have been left untouched and if they want to move new direction that is fine, but there was no need to destroy vulcan.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
younger1968 said:
Jason, I am not saying anything that is not be publicized, so using the spoiler tags makes no sense. You can say what you want, but JJ Abrams created a new timeline that nullifies the original series. Star Trek tos went to vulcan twice in the tv series, but vulcan is now destroy so those episodes do not exist anymore. TOS should have been left untouched and if they want to move new direction that is fine, but there was no need to destroy vulcan.
Star Trek has also been to alternate universes before. We know from DS9 that the Mirror Universe exists independent from the main timeline. So, the Star Trek: Lens Flare films are just another alternate timeline like the mirror universe, while the Trek universe we knew for 40 years is still there, just not the focus of the current horrible films.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
First, there are a number of individuals on the HTF and off it which do not want to know anything about the movie, whether it has been "publicized" or not. Trailers, for example, should be fair game since they are officially licensed works by the studio. However, in some circles, they are not. I would have thought we could have respected those people who may subscribe to this thread and may not want to know anything about the movie. There are also folks who click into here and then get that piece of information. Especially since Into Darkness is about five months from being released.
Second, the new timeline has zero bearing on what has come before. Want to know how I know that? Because there are multitude of other timelines created in the Prime Universe which didn't impact anything in that universe. "Mirror, Mirror" created a Mirror Universe (it was then expanded on in "In a Mirror, Darkly" and several DS9 episodes.) Aside from the knowledge this other timeline existed, there was no material effect on the characters we knew. Star Trek IV could have very well created a new timeline; for all we know, Earth was supposed to have been destroyed and Kirk changed that.
TNG episode "Parallels" played with alternate time lines. The biggest effect on the universe we knew was that Worf and Troi started a relationship. The Voyager episode "Deadlock" showed an alternate Voyager and one Harry Kim jumping his timeline to the other. The same thing goes for DS9's "Visionary" where O'Brien is able to change his future by seeing into the future at one potential timeline. There are more examples, of course, but the fact remains no one has ever said that the Prime Universe is gone. Ever. Again, the biggest changes are the destruction of Romulus and Spock and Nero's crew being in the alternate timeline.
Sorry, Paul. I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on both of these points. My stance always has been and always will be the two timelines can co-exist without a problem. Check out the 4 issue comic prequel series called Countdown. Yes, it's not televised so not necessarily canon, Orci and Kurtzman (writers of Trek X) did provide the story for the comic and it is the official prequel to the movie. Also, Abrams did not receive any writing credit for the movie, so it would be completely unfair to lay any "blame" for the timelines on him.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Jason_V said:
First, there are a number of individuals on the HTF and off it which do not want to know anything about the movie, whether it has been "publicized" or not.  Trailers, for example, should be fair game since they are officially licensed works by the studio.  However, in some circles, they are not.  I would have thought we could have respected those people who may subscribe to this thread and may not want to know anything about the movie.  There are also folks who click into here and then get that piece of information.  Especially since Into Darkness is about five months from being released. Second, the new timeline has zero bearing on what has come before.  Want to know how I know that?  Because there are multitude of other timelines created in the Prime Universe which didn't impact anything in that universe.  "Mirror, Mirror" created a Mirror Universe (it was then expanded on in "In a Mirror, Darkly" and several DS9 episodes.)  Aside from the knowledge this other timeline existed, there was no material effect on the characters we knew.  Star Trek IV could have very well created a new timeline; for all we know, Earth was supposed to have been destroyed and Kirk changed that.  TNG episode "Parallels" played with alternate time lines.  The biggest effect on the universe we knew was that Worf and Troi started a relationship.  The Voyager episode "Deadlock" showed an alternate Voyager and one Harry Kim jumping his timeline to the other.  The same thing goes for DS9's "Visionary" where O'Brien is able to change his future by seeing into the future at one potential timeline.  There are more examples, of course, but the fact remains no one has ever said that the Prime Universe is gone.  Ever.  Again, the biggest changes are the destruction of Romulus and Spock and Nero's crew being in the alternate timeline.  Sorry, Paul.  I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on both of these points.  My stance always has been and always will be the two timelines can co-exist without a problem.  Check out the 4 issue comic prequel series called Countdown.  Yes, it's not televised so not necessarily canon, Orci and Kurtzman (writers of Trek X) did provide the story for the comic and it is the official prequel to the movie.  Also, Abrams did not receive any writing credit for the movie, so it would be completely unfair to lay any "blame" for the timelines on him.
You are entitle to your opinion, but JJ Abrams took a huge risk with isolated diehard fans with his approach to the first star trek movie and subsequent release of the 2nd movie in May 2013. I am diehard star trek fan since i was a kid and even had the action figures, transporter, utility belt, etc. The new approach to the movie did nothing for me, but isolated me from what i was used in the original series. Yes, there were episodes like mirror, mirror that look at a parallel universe, but it never talked about vulcan being destroyed. There was no reason in the abrams movie to wipe out vulcan other then he wanted to look at different direction with movies. I will likely see the new movie, but from trailer and images it looks like the approach is an old rival that kirk did something too has come back with a grudge towards kirk and starfleet. This is similar to Kirk and Khan. The studio has been very evasive about the plot and i only posted something about Gary Mitchell's character as it was mention on wikipedia. I realize wikipedia is not reliable, but it just had me thinking who were some of problem people kirk faces and they were the folloiwng 1. Gary Mitchell (ESP, friend, etc. that was presumed killed by kirk 2. Finnigan (shore leave episide, which kirk gets into a fight with and/or talks about starfleeet academy 3. Commodore Decker that took over the enterprise, but was killed as part of destroying the doomsday machine 4. Captain Tracy who was captain of the USS Exeter and fought he found fountain of youth and kirk had to arrest for his involvement with non-interference I am sure there are more, but the point is that Abrams could have taken characters from the above as part of the plot line for a film, except for Decker. Kirk and Spock meeting was a good plot, but the problem was there would be no way Kirk out of the academy would be given command of a ship. Kirk would have to work his way up the ranks via farragut/lieutenant, etc. There was no mention of the farragut in the movie, so the plot did not make sense to how Kirk can become a captain rate of the academy. We can debate timelines and that is good thing about these forums. However, I am for one am not a big fan of the new films and will stick to the old series!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks