What's new

Star Trek (original) (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I just can't believe they didn't put the infamous blooper reels on the dvd sets. For a $100 each they can include bloopers, no? The bloopers are only available on low-res crappy PD disks and tapes.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The very old story I've heard about the bloopers is that in those days, they were meant to be a private thing for the wrap party of each season. It was never meant for public consumption. Also, they'd require permissions from all who appear in them. My guess is that because some of them look silly or are less then flattering, they don't want you or me to see them. That likely goes right to heart of why you will not see the Bloopers on a sanctioned Paramount Star Trek product.

Of course that doesn't account for the millions of times they've been shown at Star Trek conventions. I've seen them, and for the most part, are harmless. One or two bits might be objectionable. As JoSAN has said, they look really bad, some scenes are very dark and the image quality is very bad.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I just can't believe they didn't put the infamous blooper reels on the dvd sets. For a $100 each they can include bloopers, no? The bloopers are only available on low-res crappy PD disks and tapes.
I'd e-mailed Majel Barret about the possibility of releasing them several years back and she told me the reason they couldn't be released was of all the clearances that would have to be obtained from the performers, many of whom she thought would not want them out there, as well as residuals that would have to be negotiated/paid to them, as the blooper reels were not part of their original contracts.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
If you're a member of Costco, I saw a bundle of the 3 seasons together selling for $230.00. That's a bargin!
Not really - that's still pretty damn expensive, considering what you get. Its chicken feed compared to the normal set price, but thats like saying I'd rather get kicked in the face rather than the nuts.

That said, I got kicked in the nuts. I got the old school Trek from Best Buy just for the "bonus disc" - the ONLY Trek I'll ever consider buying (save for the Animated series, which will cost us 80 bucks for 26 half hour episodes, mark my words).

Oh - and to the original poster: the pilot is included in the 3rd Season.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well heres my problem

I want to go ahead and collect the other 4 sets (TNG, DS 9, Voyager and Enterprise) but I Really can't afford $106.99 a pop

I was in Best buy again tonight and thats what they want

The prices Paramount is asking for Trek are nuts compared to other sets but I bought them so I can't complain I guess

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
The prices Paramount is asking for Trek are nuts compared to other sets but I bought them so I can't complain I guess
If you want them cheaper you'll have to scour your local used DVD and pawn shops. (eBay doesn't seem to be an option at this point). I have to tell you though, that, with the exception of Enterprise, I haven't seen *any* used Star Trek boxes at any of the used DVD stores in my area in the last three months.

While I do think that Paramount could have sold more boxes of Voyager and Enterprise with more reasonable pricing (say, an initial MSRP of $79.95) I have to admit that, in retrospect, the prices they're asking for TOS, TNG, and DS9 are fair market value. The quality of the A/V presentation for these boxes is a good indication that Paramount invested quite a bit of work and money in ensuring that each episode looks and sounds as good as it possibly can for these releases. And the provided bonus material is at least ... somewhat adequate. (Like all Star Trek fans, I would like to see a four-fold increase in the supplements some day.) Considering that these boxes get more play on my equipment than all my other TV-on-DVD boxes combined (and most movies to boot!), they wind up being relative bargains.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit that, in retrospect, the prices they're asking for TOS, TNG, and DS9 are fair market value
Joe, since I'm "leaning" toward going ahead and buying the original series set, does "TOS" stand for The Original Series? I wanted to make sure here (HTF) before I shell out the $$'s for that original 3-season set. If the video/audio quality is as good as your post indicates, I'll get this set. Does someone else on this thread also agree that, because of exceptional transfer quality, the original sets are a good buy?
[edit] I read an earlier post here and see that "TOS" is referring to the orignal series. * Duh * Anyway, I'd still like some opinions on the transfer quality of the 3-season set. Any posts will be appreciated.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
It should be Mike, since it is part of the season 3 set.

Um, given the winkin' smiley at the end of your post, I'm not sure if that was a serious question or not!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Jeff- The TOS have been discussed at length in the past. There should be a review thread too.

That said, you won't see or hear anything better for this series. We Star Trek fans are quite fortunate that Paramount has done such a fine job at mastering these sets. Even if you can find used copies of the original 2 disc sets with 40 total DVD's, you'd be happy with those. The current season sets have slightly improved picture over the fist issued DVD's. On a high end video display, you'll see all sorts of things. For example, you can see the wood grain on some of the painted sets, you can see the zippers on the uniform shirts, and sometimes you can see the make-up transitions of Leonard Nimoy's ears and eye brows.

Actually, over the years, I think Star Trek has been treated extremely well by Paramount on the Home Video formats. I used to have the VHS tapes and color and image was great for that format in the 80's. I still have the LD's and those were another jump in quality. They are also mono sound. But the DVD's while pricey for many, are the best you'll get for this current release. Audio has been remixed for 5.1 and extras that would be considered adequate for the average viewer.

If you have an interest in Star Trek The Original Series, and you can accept the price of entry, this is an excellent buy.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
The video and audio quality of the STAR TREK season sets is quite good. A number of fans have mentioned the inconsistencies of the 5.1 audio with the original mono, but they are generally quite minor, and the overall effect of expanding the sound track is for the better, IMHO. It would have been nice if Paramount had provided the original mono too.

The video is so sharp that in the scenes where stunt men are doing their thing as Kirk, Spock, et al., it's often quite clear that you're not looking at Shatner, Nimoy, et al. These scenes were originally filmed for fuzzy old NTSC broadcasts, where the technology of the day prevented the viewer from "peeking behind the curtain". Seeing these filmed episodes enlarged on a high-def TV can be quite enlightening as to what went on.

Harry

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Nelson, Harry,
Thanks for the info on the set. I'll get this set; just not sure when yet. I have to survive the Jan-Mar "gold mine" of releases ($$'s) first :D The lowest (online) price that I've seen for the entire series set is around $250.00 new.

Peter Raber

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff:

If you can hold out until June Deep Discount has their semiannual 20% off sale. Each season is going for $96 there now or the whole 3 seasons for $256.32.

Take 20% off those numbers and you are looking at $76.80 per season or $205.06 for all 3.

Sounds like the best bet. Of course I got them all for X-Mas in 2004. THAT really is the best bet.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Peter,
Thanks for the reminder about DD. I've ordered from them at that time in the past. I think I'll put the "reminder" in my Outlook folder now :D
I wanted that set for Xmas but I had several others on my "Santa" list as well. I guess Santa balked at the price on TOS as well :D

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i am huge fan of the orignal series and my top 10 episodes are the following

1. Trouble with Trimbles

2. City on edge of forever

3. Enterprise Incident

4. Piece of the action

5. Spectre of the Gun

6. The Doomsday Machine

7. Bread and Circuses

8. Amok time

9. Space Seed

10. balance of terrror.

My list is a bit different then list prepared by spacecast in canada

According to Entertainment Weekly, the following are the ten best episodes of Star Trek:[38]

1. "The City on the Edge of Forever"

2. "Space Seed"

3. "Mirror, Mirror"

4. "The Doomsday Machine"

5. "Amok Time"

6. "The Devil in the Dark"

7. "The Trouble With Tribbles"

8. "This Side of Paradise"

9. "The Enterprise Incident"

10. "Journey to Babel

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
I'd largely agree with the latter list, although I'm not particularly a fan of the Tribble episode. I'd probably replace it with Operation Anhilate! The Immunity Syndrome or Wolf In the Fold.

SimonTemplar

Stunt Coordinator
There are some great episodes in your lists there. I'm surprised there aren't more season 1 episodes and, for me, The Enterprise Incident isn't a classic.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Most of my favorites are listed in those list, besides a few exceptions that I didn't think would be in many people's top 10 list (Shore Leave comes to mind for example as one that I really enjoy but wasn't surprised to not see listed).

But I'm honestly surprised to see The Ultimate Computer and The Tholian Web not listed in those top 10 list.

I need to get the Blu-Rays someday. I've held off so far due to the high price and because I don't really enjoy a good 50% or so of the episodes (There are about 25% I love, 25% that are pretty decent, with the remainer not being anything I'm interested in rewatching). Wish there was a good deal on them since it's a pretty steep asking price when you're only interested in about half the episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks