What's new

Star Trek: Original Series Season One - 11/20/07 MSRP $217.99 (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

According to Robert Justman and Herb Solo's book Inside Star Trek: The Real Story, Bloopers vanished from the cutting rooms in the 3rd season. Roddenberry was taking them and selling them at conventions.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

My understanding is that both the HD and SD sides have the newly remastered shows with the new effects shots. Mainly because there is no individual SD release of the remastered shows. If people want the remastered episodes, they have to buy this set.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I'm not sure that CBS has released any Blu-ray titles yet. Not sure they have jumped into that boat.

Personally I want the combos because I want to be able to watch them on an SD player if I'm traveling or going to a friend's house.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Considering that the MSRP for Close Encounters is $50 for a 2 hour film, $200 doesn't sound all that bad for 24 hours of entertainment.

Doug

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike

Is what Roddenberry was selling now known as the "blooper reels"? I have 16mm prints of all of them. Either way, they could have added even the bad video transfers.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

He was selling everything he could get his hands on including the negatives. The editors would go to look for a stock effects shot and it would be missing.

If you have a GOOD copy of the bloopers on 16mm you should transfer them to video, you could make a mint! The videos that I have seen of them are almost unwatchable.

Doug

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

Which is something several hundred thousand of us with Bd players right now, won't be able to take advantage of anyway. Then again, this feature is only going to be available on 7 epsiodes anyway. Maybe it's not a lot to get worked up over missing anyway (does sound cool though).

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Because several hundred thousand of us with BD players can't take advantage of the IME is the very reason WB and perhaps CBS Paramount in relation to Star Trek are holding off on BD releases which require the IME feature.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the insights about the IME issue as the likely reason the BD release is not announced yet.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
A little cover art.

I held off getting the Original SD Season releases spending years collecting all of the single disk releases with a few episodes each. I guess it will now be time to retire those disks and replace them with this release.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I'm afraid I will probably have to shell out the $200 or whatever it ends up costing.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I just found my old reciept from Amazon with the pre-order price of Season One back in 2004. It was $84, but then they credited me $8 back ( price dropped after I placed the order). Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure the original srp was $109- which would make this set here twice as expensive.

If they offer the ususal 30% off + the extra 10% for a lucky few, some of us will be able to get it for about $145.

I was looking forward to it, but I just don't know. There is so much else coming out in that same time frame that represents a far better value.
I know you like the combos Doug, so for you its not too bad. I don't value the feature at all though, so I probably should just voice my displeasure by waiting for the Bd version down the line.
I would love to know what the reaction of regular Trekkies to this pricing is...but I don't hang out in ST forums. Anybody tap the pulse yet in that community?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I dont hang out in any Trek forums. But id call myself a classic Trek fan. I wont get the thing. I have a Blu-ray player, but i buy a bunch of regular DVDs still. Cant see why anyone would pony up that kind of cash for a combo set. Id but it if it was on DVD, but why pay extra for an HD side i wont ever use? If you are an HD owner, why pay extra for a DVD side you probably wont use very much? I know you can watch it in the ol' lap top on the road, in the car. But really, any dual format advantage it has is killed by that price! I am a guy who did'nt blink twice at dropping $100 for a season set of Trek, or X Files back in the day.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I just tossed over some big change to import the HD DVD of Mr. & Mrs. Smith so I'm afraid I'll have to bite here too. :D Well, it's quite a bit of $$ but hopefully we'll find it online for around $140-150? Did I just type that? :eek: :)

It would be cool to own but certainly requires some budgeting....

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Yeah I'm thinking CBS is testing the waters with that press release to see what they can get away with charging. I suspect the price will come down before the actual release.

Doug

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Paul: re trek fan community reaction to price of HD set-

The only trek fan site I look at is trekmovie.com as it's got a lot of info on the new movie and the remastered episodes. The reaction there seems in line with the reaction here, they think it's too much, many are going to pass. Pretty much 80%.

But I think Douglas is right, the price will be adjusted as we get closer to release date.

I probably will pick this up on release day! But I need to make a decision in which format to the investment in. HD in November or wait for the BD version!

ReggieW

Screenwriter
All -

I just returned from the Comicon in San Diego today, and got to finally meet and speak with Bill Hunt, and I must say that he's a very genuine and nice guy all around. It was an honor discussing the format war and Universal's no-show at the convention (every other studio was represented) with him. Wouldn't this have been the place for "The Look and Sound of Perfect" to have a booth? Geez Louise.

As for Trek S1:

You guys should of heard the gasps when that price was announced. One audience member (Dressed as "The Joker" --seriously) got up during the Q & A session and asked "why does Paramount continue to gouge fans on Trek?" - there was thunderous applause. I can tell you that Bill Hunt reported to the audience that CBS/Paramount are already CONSIDERING a price-reduction on this sets MSRP. I am sure Bill probably gave the CBS Digital crew his thoughts on this outrageous retail price. If it was a reaction Paramount was seeking, then it was a reaction they got -- and not a very pleasant one.

I am sure Bill will give you all the details in the days ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks