Star Trek Next Generation: Jean-Luc Picard Collect - DVD

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brenda M, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Brenda M

Brenda M Stunt Coordinator

Is this a good deal? I would never have the money to buy a season of the series, there is too many other interests I have in DVDs. I can't remember the name of the Borg episodes but it doesn't look like they are included? It does look like it is a good sampling of ST:TNG.

DVD Release Date: August 3, 2004
    DVD Features:
    Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1)
    Seven of the best Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes featuring Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard: The Big Goodbye, Sarek, Family, The Drumhead, Darmok, The Inner Light, Tapestry

From Here to Infinity: a documentary of space exploration hosted by Patrick Stewart

Full-screen format

Number of discs: 2

2. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

The thing that annoys me is that is has 7 episodes for about $15 as opposed to the season sets, which are mostly 26 for $90. So the per-episode price is about $2.15 instead of $3.46. Some of the Star Seasons had fewer episodes, so the per-episode price is even higher. Why are we punished for buying in bulk?

3. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

These episodes are a fantastic sampling of the quality of ST:TNG. Inner Light might just be the best episode ever. The Borg episodes are not on here, but I would bet that Paramount releases a Borg-themed set in the future.

The bonus documentary, From Here to Infinity, which is about an hour long, was picked by Billboard and TV Guide as the best video of the year when it came out on VHS. You can read more comments here: http://www.don-barrett.com/fhti_critics.html. Also root around on that site for more info about the contents.

This set is a great deal for a casual fan. I just wish From Here to Infinity were available separately for those who already have the episodes. This set is the only way to get it on DVD. I would expect that Paramount will release it individually at some point.

On the bigger sets, the packaging costs more, there are more extras and the episodes were available earlier--and you got all of the episodes. A friendly price on these double-dipped episodes is the key selling point for this new collection.

4. cole_b

cole_b Agent

Drumhead, Darmok, Inner Light, and Tapestry are all generally considered classic TNG. The Big Goodbye, being from Season 1, is not that great. it's probably a better deal than buying season sets, as TNG was never the most consistent show.

there aren't any Borg episodes on it, though Family deals with the aftermath of Best of Both Worlds.

5. Brenda M

Brenda M Stunt Coordinator

Oooo, "Family", that was when he went back to earth and visited his brother? That was a good one. Yes, this is a definite buy this week along with "Hidalgo".

Thanks for the info.

6. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

The Inner Light and Darmok are among the very best episodes. Tapestry is also excellent.

7. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

"The Big Goodbye" was arguably the best episode of the first season. (Granted, the general clunkiness of the season makes that pinnacle an easier climb.)

The episode won a Peabody Award, an Emmy for Outstanding Costume Design, and was nominated for the Emmy for Outstanding Cinematography.

As has been stated, that is an outstanding selection of episodes and is perfect for fans not wanting season sets.

8. Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel Stunt Coordinator

This is a must buy for me. I like Star Trek TNG, but not enough to spend $100+ for season sets. They've picked a great bunch of episodes, and this 2 disc set is definitely worth $17. Any word on a similar set focusing on Data or any of the other regulars?

9. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I think you'll definatey see themed releases they did this for the VHS sets after they were all out.

10. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    This is definitely a solid sampling of Picard-focused episodes. "Tapestry" is one of my favorite episodes. "From Here To Infinity" is a really nice bonus, too.

11. cole_b

cole_b Agent

I'd say Conspiracy, despite the dated special effects, is the best of the first season. not much competition, of course.

12. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

It's a good introductory sampler set for those who are not familiar with TNG. The price is certainly affordable. But for some people who have all 7 seasons on DVD, it may not be anything to pick up save for the "From Here to Infinity" documentary to whet their joneses for Patrick Stewart.

13. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I'd have to say that The Inner Light is the best episode of the series as far as I am concerned, it takes a lot for a Sci-Fi TV show to make me cry and this one did...the only other Sci-fi shows to do that were the episode of The New Twilight Zone called To See The Invisible Man & The Messiah On Mott Street from The Night Gallery.