What's new

Star Trek Nemesis trailer online 6/26/02 (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Cool, and thank you for the info. However, I'm sure this post is destined to be moved to the Movies section!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Ooops. Wasn't quite sure where to post it. Sorry about that.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Glad I saw this here. I rarely read any other part of the HTF other than the Software section. I am excited about this movie.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
From Startrek.com's website:

The new "Star Trek: Nemesis" trailer runs 1:34 and will also play in theaters, starting with the July 4th weekend. The official "Star Trek: Nemesis" movie site will give fans plenty to whet their appetites, with stunning imagery from the film, a 360-degree IPIX view of the Romulan Senate set, wallpapers, AIM buddy icons and more.

Again, that's tomorrow night, Wednesday, June 26, on Entertainment Tonight, followed by the online debut at 7:30 p.m. PDT/10:30 p.m. EDT. Set your alarms, gather your family and friends around the computer and get ready, because this December, "a generation's final journey begins ... "
Ok. Cool. Need to program my Tivo to record ET tonight. But, does anyone know the basic storyline from the film??? What does it mean when they say "a generation's final journey begins....."? Is this the last film for the TNG cast? Or does this just allude to what will occur in the movie......

any ideas.....

DanHaya

Second Unit
Ok. Cool. Need to program my Tivo to record ET tonight. But, does anyone know the basic storyline from the film??? What does it mean when they say "a generation's final journey begins....."? Is this the last film for the TNG cast? Or does this just allude to what will occur in the movie......
The basic plot involves the Enterprise crew becoming involved in a conflict between the Romulans and the Remans. The main villan's name is Shinzon, and is played by Tom Hardy. I won't spoil the plot here, but let's just say that he has a personal agenda with Captain Picard. Data will also become heavily involved in this story, as this storyline was partly conceived by Brent Spiner.

Again, I don't want to spoil anything for you...but let's just say that there will be some major changes in the personal and professional lives of some of the Enterprise crew. This gives Paramount an opportunity to end the TNG movie series with this one if they choose to. However, as Patrick Stewart noted recently, it will all come down to box office performance. Personally, I can't see Paramount shelving the Trek movie franchise until 2008 (when Enterprise will likely end its 7-year run). I would guess that you will see another Trek movie within 5 years, perhaps sooner if Nemesis is a hit (over $100 million in the U.S.).

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Other than for box office performance why would Paramount wish to kill off this series of films? TOS produced 6 movies, it seems a bit early to quit on TNG movie series. Are the actors getting too expensive? Maybe we can have some DS 9 &/or Voyager films if Stewart & Spiner cost too much.:star:

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Maybe we can have some DS 9 &/or Voyager films if Stewart & Spiner cost too much.
Can't see that happening. DS9 is not the most well-loved of the series, and it's been off the air for how many years now? Voyager -- well, they probably could work with that, particularly since that god-awful final episode left more questions than answers.
The problem that I see it is that Paramount has just assumed that every "Star Trek" movie will be huge because of the fans, like some kind of an entitlement, and if a movie doesn't do well, it's the fans' fault. It seems to me that this is why they're saying that future movies depend on box office success -- if the movie series dies, it's our fault for not going to see Nemesis. I don't necessarily like that attitude. After all, ST6 was so-o-o-o much better than ST5.
As long as Paramount makes good Trek movies, we'll see them; but don't scrap the entire series just because the next movie might not do very well and then try to lay the blame on us because we didn't fork out the money to see a bad movie.
Thankfully, Nemesis, based on what I've read, looks like it's going to kick major ass.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Jeff Bamberger
Dan provided a very accurate summary. If you want more details, including spoilers, do a search for Star Trek: Nemesis and a thread that I started reviewing the screenplay will show up. It does contain a synopsis of the ENTIRE film, so beware.
I personally can't wait and predict it will be a huge success.:b

DanHaya

Second Unit
John,
You're on the right track with your thinking. Part of the problem is the cost of making these movies. Just like Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley before them, Stewart and Spiner are demanding a lot of money and control. You can bet that Rick Berman, the "caretaker" of all things Trek, can't be happy about that.
Also, keep in mind that the Trek movies don't make all that much money for the studio. They make their money off the syndication rights and merchandising. When was the last time a Trek movie surpassed $100 million domestically? I'm pretty sure it was Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, and that was because the storyline had much more mass appeal to the non-Trek fans.
Berman has repeatedly said that there won't be any films with the DS9 or Voyager cast (although Kate Mulgrew does make a cameo in Nemesis as Admiral Kathryn Janeway). And there wouldn't be any films featuring Scott Bakula and the cast of Enterprise until it finishes it's series run in 2008.
If you put all that together with what I said earlier, you could come to the conclusion that Paramount is trying to wind down the Trek movie franchise...at least for now. At the very least, they are sending us a signal that we need to support Nemesis in greater numbers than in the past.

Brian E

Screenwriter
When was the last time a Trek movie surpassed $100 million domestically? I'm pretty sure it was Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
ST IV is the only one to surpass 100 million domestically.

$82.3 Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)
$78.9 Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
$76.4 Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)
$109.7 Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
$55.2 Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)
$74.9 Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)
$75.7 Star Trek: Generations (1994)
$92.0 Star Trek: First Contact (1996)
$70.1 Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Berman has repeatedly said that there won't be any films with the DS9 or Voyager cast (although Kate Mulgrew does make a cameo in Nemesis as Admiral Kathryn Janeway). And there wouldn't be any films featuring Scott Bakula and the cast of Enterprise until it finishes it's series run in 2008.
The "Admiral Janeway" cameo was, last I heard, filmed but with no commitment as to whether it will make the final edit.

As to the rest, when Voyager shut down production, a number of the behind-the-scenes staff, including those at the top, expressed gratitude that they would no longer have to work with such a "difficult" cast of actors, and vowed that there would NEVER be films with any of them other than Mulgrew and Ryan, who were the only ones considered "cooperative" (a.k.a., kissing the booties of the producers and not worrying about putting out quality stories).

I think it will be a cold day in hell before we see STV films! And DS9 films are kinda weird, given the fate of Sisko. So what's left? Oh, the aging-and-money-demanding TNG staff. OR Enterprise, but that's a long way off.

So what's left to milk the old cash cow with? Hey, anyone up for that one about the young Kirk, Spock, etc. in Starfleet Academy? :grin duck run:

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Maybe as a stop gap Paramount will try a Trek movie un-related to ANY of the shows. If it works, fine. If not, wait for Enterprise movies.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I would love to see a DS9 movie. We are among the minority that felt this was the best of the Trek shows. I loved TNG, but there was little character development. Through the 7 year run, all of the Enterprise folks were pretty much just like they were in the beginning. The characters really grew, developed and changed on DS9.

Besides... I wanna see Sisko return to his wife and family!

Ric

DanHaya

Second Unit
I wouldn't mind seeing a DS9 movie, either...I just don't think it's going to happen. Certainly, it was a better show than Voyager. And now that Terry Farrell is unemployed again, maybe she could come back somehow as Jadzia! lol

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
A DS9 flick would be great. While I loved Next Generation and really liked The Original STAR TREK, of the 4 (now 5) shows, DS9 was the only one that told an EPIC story. I'd love to see that epic continue, but in reality we're probably more likely to see a TV movie than a theatrical film (and I doubt it would even get that).

It's a shame how for many fans, DS9 is actually the best show (if you didn't give up early in the 1st/2nd season) but it gets the least respect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks