What's new

Star Trek: Nemesis, SE? (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I enjoyed the movie..a lot. Sure, it had some rip-off's, but it was still enjoyable. DC or not, I'll pick up this DVD. Best of TNG movies in my book.
Peace Out~:D

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
WORST...STAR...TREK...EVER. WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE SLOWLY AND VERY PAINFULLY KILL RICK BERMAN?
Amen. Star Trek V is still the all-time worst Trek movie of all time, with Insurrection the second-worst in my estimation. Nemesis lands snugly in third place, almost a dead-heat for second-worst.
This shit is NOT Star Trek. Not by a long shot. It's a lot of producer/director/writer ass-kissing to cover up all the bad producing, bad directing, and bad writing that stinks like yesterday's sausage dinner. Check out the cringe-inducing prefaces in the Nemesis novelization if you want an embarrassing example of this (free for the reading at any bookstore, but for God's sake don't buy it). With the exception of the cast, all these people should be making are television commercials. The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine were unqualified hits. They should have left it at that. What we have now is a total lack of vision, focus, or talent. Gene Roddenberry's dead-horse legacy is being shamelessly whipped like some 100 year-old old dairy cow with withered teats that can only give powdered milk at best.

Eric F

Screenwriter
The most telling comment comes from Rick Berman himself who said he "didn't understand" why Nemisis tanked. Well, there's your answer.

Personally I love Trek, or what was Trek, and I gave up on Voyager towards the 6th season and now I've given up on Enterprise.

Oh, I'll probably give a Nemisis:SE a look- although I'm not sure what can be done to improve it. A few extra minutes of footage might be nice- but so much of what was in the film was extraneous anyways. Someone explain to me that Riker/Reman fight? How about why Wesley was at the wedding wearing a Federation uniform? What happened to Worf's job? etc.

TomWoodward

Second Unit
I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as a lot of people have made out but it's still the worst TNG film as far as I'm concerned. For me, Nemesis felt way too much like a TV episode, it just lacked the scale of a full blown feature film. Some of the acting was painful to watch as well, particularly old Marina Sirtis and the opening scenes in the Romulan Senate. Still, I'll be picking up the disc come May!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm really tired of all these people who bash Nemesis and the for reasons state, Why wesley was there? or Why Worf was there etc... c'mon People fill in the friggin Blanks... did the absence of these things really make it a bad movie? No. The fact it was derivitive of another film would lessen it's value to me more than these things. Hey Wes left the traveler(The Micheal Jackson of space) and returned to Starfleet. Worf Decided that diplomacy was his strong forte and his position was open once again on the Enterprise and Picard asked him back... what's the big deal here. 'd still think that talented writers could mine alot better stories in the federation that the production team they have now. But was Nemesis the worst movie? No it was miles better than Insurrection and I don't remember all this critical hatred toward that film.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
If this movie follows recent trends in theater to DVD release windows, we will probably see a one disc version of it in May-June of 03. And since Paramount is going in chronological order of releasing 2-disc SEs of all the Trek films at 3 per year, that would mean 4, 5, and 6 will be out in 2003, 7, 8, and 9 will be out in 2004, and then 10 would come out in early 2005. That would put 2 years in between a single disc version and a 2 disc SE, which is long enough to make me want to buy the movie twice.
I'd be surprised if Paramount "double-dipped" on Nemesis - I expect that the first release will be the ONLY release. The only reason they've reissued the older ones is because they changed their minds about doing SEs - they clearly didn't embrace them readily. I'd be surprised if they maintained some sort of slavish adherence to the chronology of putting out SEs in the order the films were released...

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
I don't know if Paramount is going to package Nemesis like the two-disc SEs, but the DVD should turn out pretty well. It was done by the same people who did Paramount's TNG and DS9 sets.

nicholas_g

Stunt Coordinator
One of those deleted scenes should, I would hope, explain why everyone seemed to forget about Lore when constructing B-4. Someone should have said, "Wait a minute, deja-vu--the last time we did this the results weren't so good."
They can't do that as they wanted it so anyone who hasn't seen TNG before can watch the film without getting confused on who is Lore.

If you watch the TNG epsiode Inhertiance, Data gets told by his Mother that there were many prototypes before Data and Lore and she loved each one of them as well as Data and Lore. But, you need to know that to make sense the B4 thing. The film writers just told the basics "he was a prototype of Data". They have to pretend the past with Lore doesn't exist.

I don't have any problem with that as the story can be interpreted different ways depending if you have seen TNG before or not.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I'll definitely hold out for a 2-disc SE of this Trek film. If it comes out as a one-DVD, I'll know Paramount's going to double-dip us.
Unless it's an improved director's cut I'd only be buying it as a completist. That being the case, maybe I'ld wait for HD like I'm doing with some of the Bond films.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

If they shot the material they could always put a minute or so back into the video like Fox did with X-Files for the same kind of reasons. They left the whole Mulder's sister element out of theaters for people who weren't familiar with the TV show. That was a very large element of the show, however.
I think they could have probably tied in Data's history with other prototypes pretty easily with a few lines of dialogue without confusing audiences who hadn't seen those TNG episodes.
I don't know if I ever saw the episode where Data finally disposed of Lore completely (if that even happened). I assume he did or else they would have immediately feared what they found WAS Lore. So, if you ask me their plan to not confuse die-hard fans failed. Having seen the show mostly in re-runs the chronology can be tough to keep track of. I seem to remember Lore being blown out to space once, but can't remember a 100% certainty he was destroyed.
I was a bit disappointed because by the previews I assumed Lore was going to be in Nemesis. I wonder how many other casual TNG viewers made this false assumption?

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Well, I'm constantly amazed by the opinions of other people. ;) So here's my humble ordering, from best to worst:
Khan (ultimate Trek: direction, script, performances, music)
Country (let down by a weak script)
Voyage (lighthearted preachy-Trek at its best)
Motion (tremendous visual experience - one for Big Screens)
Nemesis (succeeds despite poor editing; direction a little lacking but Baird actually did very well, for him; enjoyable fun that shows some potential for a really good TNG movie, if only they got rid of Berman)
Search (boring bits on Genesis weigh down what's otherwise an excellent movie)
Frontier (forget the SFX, forget Shatner's ego, forget Uhura dancing, and this works pretty well as buddy-Trek)
Insurrection (charming TV 2-parter that they thought they could convince people would work as a full-length film)
First Contact (great action, ruined by "comedy" elements)
Generations - (joyless pile of poo)
Which, I suppose, puts me in the minority "liked Nemesis" group. I look forward to the DVD - but I won't buy a bare bones disc, knowing that an SE will be on its way eventually. :)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Addendum: re Lore and B-4.
Yes, in Inheritance it was mentioned there were three prototypes made before Lore. Also that Lore's problems were down to his emotion programming, which I assume wasn't given to the prototypes.
Lore was "deactivated" (not destroyed) in Descent Part II, and presumably lies in parts in some Starfleet lab by now. It would be easy enough, I would think, to reassemble him, format his positronic brain and reboot Data.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
According to Trek Today street date is set for May 13th.
February 7, 2003 - 10:12 AM
'Star Trek Nemesis' is scheduled to debut on DVD exactly five months after its theatrical premiere.
The film is tentatively set to be released in Region 1 on May 13, DVD Answers reported. Region 1 comprises the United States, Canada and all US territories, with the film expected to be released internationally in subsequent months.
July seems to be the key month for Region 2 (European) fans. The German version is currently scheduled to be released on July 1 with a retail price of EUR 22,99, according to Amazon.de. The DVD will also available for rental in the United Kingdom sometime in July.
Paramount Home Entertainment has not yet published any official information on the specifications of the 'Nemesis' DVD. Previous releases of the Next Generation feature films were bare-bones sets, comprising only the film itself and the theatrical trailer. However, director Stuart Baird has said the 'Nemesis' DVD set will include a commentary, interviews and scenes deleted from the theatrical version of the film.
Peace Out~:D

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Good News on the release.

Phillip I'm surprise you say First Contact was spoined by comedy elements you sure you don't mean Generations were Data was trying to be funny with his Lifeforms songs and such? I thought the Tone of First Contact to be excellent

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Star Trek : Necrosis really dissapointed me. I was hoping for an excellent film. I was told that if Insurrection was a C, than Nemesis was a C+. I thought Insurrection was an "A", so I was ready for my A+. I got an F.

The film is derivative, poorly written, poorly directed, and poorly edited. Shinzon came out of left field with his poorly defined quest for vengeance.

I'd be open to seeing a longer directors cut if it did indeed improve the film. I fear, however, I'll just be crying out for the credits earlier. It was truly painful sitting in the theater watching this turd. If anyone has a different explanation than it's stink-of-death for it's DISMAL box office, I'd like to get some of what you are having.

Berman needs to be fired. My new Trek mantra.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
With my thoughts concerning the movie aside, hopefully Paramount will take this opportunity to make a nice SE first time out, with at least some extended footage, commentaries, featurettes, etc.
Whether or not I thought the movie sucks, I'd still like to see fans have a nice title the first time!! :)

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
I doubt very much Paramount would have the guys who did the TNG and DS9 season sets do a bare bones release. It'd be a waste of talent.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Folks, I am sad to say that I am sure I have read that Stuart Baird does not want to make a longer version of the film. He said that while it would be nice to see the extra scenes and scene extensions, he does not want to put them back into the film.

So the only chance we have of getting a longer film is if the menu designer goes for it himself (or herself) and makes a "follow the white rabbit" or a rough sort of seamless branching option in the menu. The director ain't doin' it.

Even if he wanted to, Paramount probably would not do it at this point, given that it would require more money.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Previous releases of the Next Generation feature films were bare-bones sets, comprising only the film itself and the theatrical trailer.
This is a nit, but the above is wrong. Star Trek: Insurrection has a promotional making-of featurette that runs about five minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks