Star Trek: Nemesis, SE?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John Alderson, Dec 16, 2002.

1. John Alderson

John Alderson Supporting Actor

I know it's waaaay early, but has anyone heard any rumors about the Star Trek: Nemesis DVD? I'm just curious if it looks like it'll be a 2 disc SE to match the recent ST I, II and III releases, or if it'll be a bare bones release so that they can double dip us later.

2. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

I'm hoping for a director's cut which is rumored to be around 3 hours long.

I liked the film, but it's very evident that scenes were cut.

3. John Alderson

4. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Being a fan of the Next Gen. movies, I liked this one too, but I need to see it again to really decide if it'll stand up to more repeat viewings. It seemed like some things were left out, and if this is truly the last Next Gen. movie, it was a disappointing ending. Good ending if there'll be more though.

Anyone else agree this was the attempted "Wrath of Khan" of Next Gen.? With Data dying to save the ship, but his "memories" being stored in B-4, I'm thinking the writers didn't exactly strain themselves for originality on this one.

5. Jeff F.

Jeff F. Stunt Coordinator

Paramount also said that the tag line - "The Final Journey Begins" ('Begins' being the key word) - means that it could take more than one film to end this really tired franchise.

6. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I enjoyed Nemesis; it was a decent movie, but I was very disappointed in some aspects of it. My main problem was that it really did feel incomplete. That's my honest opinion; I just thought there should have been more to it. After reading part of the script, I realized that there was. There were 2 or 3 excellent scenes, and a few extensions of other scenes that would have made the film much better (not to mention make more sense) had they been included.

When I first heard about the deleted footage, I'd hoped it would be on the DVD; not necessarily incorporated back into the movie, but at least in the supplements. Having seen the film now, though, I really hope a longer version is made. I wouldn't necessarily want all 50 minutes of it, but as I said in the review thread, I certainly wouldn't mind a 130-135 minute Trek film if it fleshed things out better.

John Logan clearly wrote this for the fans, and it would be nice of Paramount to allow a longer version to be made, since those fans have been so good to the studio over the years. More importantly, though, it would make this film, while not perfect, much better than the current version. I understand the desire to want to play to wider audience, but judging from the first weekend's box office returns, the fans are about all they've got left.

7. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    One of those deleted scenes should, I would hope, explain why everyone seemed to forget about Lore when constructing B-4. Someone should have said, "Wait a minute, deja-vu--the last time we did this the results weren't so good."

8. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

I savaged the movie over on the Movies forum, but might buy a "director's cut" DVD in the hope that the story might make more sense and be better balanced with some extended scenes. The theatrical version was too heavy on the action and too light on expositing (is that a word?) the plot.

Ryan

9. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I've sent Paramount a Message in the Feedback area about wanting a 3 disk version even if it cost a bit more. I'd like to see a theatrical cut, extended cut and extras disk

10. John Alderson

11. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I saw Patrick Stewart on the Caroline Reah Show(my wife watches it before bed) and she asked him if this was going to be the last and he busted up laughing and basically said no, that it was just some marketers slogan and that he didn't understand why they used it.

Also does anyone else thing they picked a bad time to release the film? I would think with TTT being released a mere 5 days later they would have held onto it until January or released it earlier.

12. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

13. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    WORST...STAR...TREK...EVER.

I'm such a movie whore, I even pre-ordered The Adventures of Pluto Nash. I'm steering clear of STX:TWOKv2. I don't care if it is the 10 hour directors cut.

WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE SLOWLY AND VERY PAINFULLY KILL RICK BERMAN?

I would have though after Insurrection he would have been removed from the Star Trek world.

Stuard Baird? Gee, Executive Decision and US Marshalls were such classics. If Paramount wants to save Star Trek, they should hire David Fincher or Ridley Scott to do the next one.

14. Kevin Nolan

Kevin Nolan Stunt Coordinator

No not even the worst doesn't even come close..FF is the worst by far and I will be ready and waiting to add Nemisis to my collection.
    It was a great ride as I said before....
    Kevin

15. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

reads: "I'm such a movie whore, I even pre-ordered The Adventures of Pluto Nash.", skips immediately to next message in thread. [​IMG]

16. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I really enjoyed Nemesis... I must've missed the memo about not supposing to like it. Of the 4 TNG crew movies, this was my second favorite behind First Contact.

I know this isnt supposed to be a movie review thread, but I would have no problems buying this disc if I knew there was not going to be an SE, but I really dont want to have to double dip it, but if an extended director's cut did come out, I would definitely buy it again.

If this movie follows recent trends in theater to DVD release windows, we will probably see a one disc version of it in May-June of 03. And since Paramount is going in chronological order of releasing 2-disc SEs of all the Trek films at 3 per year, that would mean 4, 5, and 6 will be out in 2003, 7, 8, and 9 will be out in 2004, and then 10 would come out in early 2005. That would put 2 years in between a single disc version and a 2 disc SE, which is long enough to make me want to buy the movie twice.

Either way, I cant wait to see it again in my HT!!!

17. Paul-Gunther

Paul-Gunther Stunt Coordinator

I really liked Nemesis. I'd put it right behind First Contact and Wrath of Khan on my list of Star Trek favorites.

As for future Trek films, they won't have Patrick Stewart. From imdb news:

Patrick Stewart said Tuesday that whether or not Paramount decides to produce another Star Trek movie, he will not return as Captain Jean-Luc Picard. Speaking to reporters at the London premiere of Star Trek: Nemesis Tuesday night, Stewart said, "You never want to outstay your welcome. Just like an athlete, it's horrible to go on when the best is over." Although the Nemesis episode opened to mixed reviews, Stewart maintained that it was the best Star Trek movie he had ever done. "I could think of no better way to bow out," he said.

And the way the movie ends, I'm not sure how they could do another TNG movie, anyway.

I hope the DVD contains the original ending, in which Picard greets his new first officer. I didn't care for the new ending with Before

18. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

DVD Answers is reporting that the Nemesis DVD will street on May 13. No specs or anything else yet. I've never been to the site before so I'm not sure how accurate this is, but if this is true, we'll probably get an announcement pretty soon.

19. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

That's the same date I've heard.

20. Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins Producer