What's new

Star Trek Nemesis SCE (1 Viewer)

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
Alright, Digital Bits has this edition set on 10/4. How's about we use this thread to speculate on what should be included on this set.

I've read reports that this film had many more deleted scenes than were offered on the original release. I can remember something about a line Riker had while on the bottomless pit bridge scene that was cut. I don't remember what the line was, but I do remember that it was cut from the final version of the film and apparently a lot of people did not like that decision.

We also know that the film was originally much longer, so an extended director's cut probably wouldn't be a bad idea and may help the film not be as horrid as some people claim it to be. I personally enjoyed the film but I also feel that it lost something while being edited and cut.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was pretty sure this was not coming given the last release was already packed with some special features. So this is a surprise and I have to eat my words!

The last disc had audio commentary by the director, but I believe it did not have the Okuda text commentary, gotta have that. The last disc also had the deleted scenes, I'm sure someone will want them seemlessly branched back in. I'd be interested in seeing the Wesley Crusher/Ens Robin Lefler(Ashley Judd) stuff, I don't think I recall seeing it in the last disc.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I don't think there ever were any scenes filmed with Ashely Judd, although there definitely were with Wheaton.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the commentary was a bit dull. Regarding Ashley Judd, I always wondered if that was urban legend. But I was sure I recall stories that she filmed some scenes for the wedding sequence with Wheaton.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
That's exactly true, Sam. Wil Wheaton worked a couple of days in the cameo scene as Wesley Crusher and talks about it in detail in both his blog site, WilWheaton.net, and also in his hilarious autobiography, "Just a Geek". The Ashley Judd rumor was just that, a rumor.

As for what I'd like to see in the upcoming Nemesis SCE DVD, here are some ideas:

- a better audio commentary! (hopefully with John Logan and Brent Spiner)
- the original extended cut of the film (2:45 in length, I presume) with all of the footage restored back into context of the story
- better featurettes on the production, with more meat on the behind-the-scenes filming
- both of the theatrical trailers! (why both of the trailers were left off the previous disc, I have no idea - tight disc space, perhaps? music issues?)
- all of the TV spots for the film (there's at least 10 of them that I know of - why Paramount is spotty in including TV spots on their Star Trek DVD properties is beyond me. The only sets to have their TV spots on DVD are TOS, TMP, and ST V [TNG S1, if you count the TNG Episode Companion CD-ROM]. I'd put 'em on there for completist's sake).

What needs to be left off the 2-disc set:

- the Stuart Baird audio commentary
- forced trailers
- the Borg 4-D trailer that keeps appearing on every Trek DVD set

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Whatever will Paramount do once all the movies are out in 2 disc SEs, and all the various series are out on DVD? I guess they could start over in HD....but I really dont see too many of us replacing our whole star trek collections for HD versions.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
If it's not a 2 1/2 - 3 hour cut, I'm not buying. Only a marginal Star Trek movie at best and the features on the existing disc were decent (save the commentary track).

That said, I'm betting that it will largely be a re-hash of the existing disc. No sale.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Man, if you think that's the worst commentary ever, you've not heard enough commentaries! It's a flat track, but it's FAR from the worst!

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I never bought any of the Star Trek Movies original released DVD's. Only the new special/collector editions. So I'll pick this one up as well. Would also like a longer, better, cut of the movie.

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know what specifically was cut that should go back in? I remember thinking it was actually too long and plodding, but maybe I'm missing something..

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

Well, Alex, there were quite a number of interesting moments that were cut from the film that were included in the deleted scenes section of the first DVD release, among them:

- Picard and Data discussing the winds of change in life and Dr. Crusher leaving the Enterprise for Starfleet Medical.
- Further plotting from Shinzon as he further announces his intentions to the Romulan senate.
- Shinzon's psychic assault on Deanna Troi in the Enterprise turbolift (this one's all over the trailers and TV spots!)
- The original ending of the film, where we meet Riker's replacement first officer, Commander Martin Madden.
- More of Wesley Crusher's cameo dialog from early in the film (which Wil Wheaton discussed in "Just a Geek").

The deleted scenes on the first disc constitute some 15-20 minutes of additional moments that were cut from the film, leaving some 30-35 minutes that remain unseen (most likely trims and awkward shots that slowed the pacing of the film).

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I'd be happy with just those cut scenes put back in to give the crew more of a finality. The end was so quickly wrapped it felt like a cold shoulder to the TNG crew. Wasn't there also more to the "funeral" scene as well?

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
It's as simple as this. If it's an extended cut, I'll buy. If it's just the theatrical version, I'll pass as I never want to witness that atrocity again.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Amen, Brother! :D It would have to be extended cut since the director has stated that his director's cut is the one he submitted/exhibited. :thumbsdown: on Stuart Baird... should have kept Frakes.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Why? Most people hated - or at least disliked - Insurrection, and if we add Thunderbirds to the mix, the guy's directed only one good movie (First Contact) out of three. (I never saw Clockstoppers so I can't comment on it.) What makes you think Frakes would have made Nemesis better? Might've been WORSE in Frakes' hands...

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Both Insurrection and Nemesis were results of letting actors in on the conception and writing process of the films. Of course, the actual writer has to take a good brunt of the blame too, but the thrust of both of those movies were somewhat dictated by Stewart and Spiner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks