What's new

Star Trek Lower Decks (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah looks like Brad hasn’t posted since August but did check in about a month ago.
I’m not sure he’d be able to fix it anyway.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Recently watched the animated series Star Trek: Lower Decks S01 (on the DVD set). Hilarious! The show was extremely tongue-in-cheek, and poked fun at the ST franchise....and at the same time was also extremely entertaining & interesting. It's definitely is a positive addition to the ST mythology. And - even though it took place during the TNG era, I liked the nods/homages to TOS. Very cool.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I keep reminding myself "I am not the target demo for this show" but I continue to watch because it's Trek.

I do sympathize with Ransom, based on what we see in this episode. Freeman has basically made Mariner her co-captain (at the least her first officer) out of some duty to bond with Mariner. WTF? Freeman is that incompetent to have an ensign do whatever she wants? And to push Ransom out of the decision making process? My estimation of Freeman went way, way down in this episode.

Same with Tendy. She's afraid of losing Rutherford, so she shoots up the bar and chases him around the ship to perform surgery on him? What kind of crap is that? And he just forgives her?

I'm sorry...I have major, major problems with both of those plot points.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, second season starts today. I’ll catch it tonight. :)

I’m still revisiting the first season, 2 more episodes to go.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This show continues to frustrate me, as well. I think I'd accept it easier if they hadn't placed it in continuity with the other, more serious shows. Mariner has a serious personality disorder, and Tendi's actions were a major violation of her Hippocratic Oath. I'm on board with telling the story of one of Starfleet's least desired postings, with some of the least prestigious assignments. But they're still Starfleet, and there's a minimum standard that should be (and often isn't) met. I like the stories where the characters find themselves caught in the really strange shit that happens out in the vast expanse of space. I don't like the stories where the characters act selfishly or sociopathicly without any long-term consequences.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I haven’t watched the opener for season 2 yet but this is pretty much my same attitude for this show.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
My favorite bit was the giant Ransom head floating by the windows and Tendi and Rutherford so caught up in their drama that they didn't even notice.

I do agree with the criticism that they often get away with far too much inappropriate behavior for Starfleet on this show.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Mariner’s attitude and actions in the pilot episode set the tone of this show. And I agree, it seems impossible that an organization like Starfleet would allow crew members of starships to behave that way. Their superiors would not allow it.

But being that this show is about the secondary string crews and ships of Starfleet, and it’s a comedy, I’ve shifted my expectations about this show and just go with it. What’s interesting is that it’s set in the time frame of Star Trek TNG, but makes so many fun references to TOS. Perhaps there will be more cross-overs from TNG and DS9 and maybe Voyager actors doing a guest voice gig. I know they were talking to Robert Duncan McNeill.

As for the second season premiere, I liked the Gary Mitchell reference and was surprised they did that, plus the reference to Apollo.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m not sure what show some people are watching. I’m watching the Star Trek cartoon that is sending up all of the Star Trek tropes that for 60 years have required the ship’s captain and XO to both land into unknown and dangerous situations and so jeapordize their entire crew, if not all of humanity, with their hubris. Weekly.

Tendy’s actions show she’s clearly Starfleet material. :D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I’m not sure what show some people are watching. I’m watching the Star Trek cartoon that is sending up all of the Star Trek tropes that for 60 years have required the ship’s captain and XO to both land into unknown and dangerous situations and so jeapordize their entire crew, if not all of humanity, with their hubris. Weekly.

Tendy’s actions show she’s clearly Starfleet material. :D

Star Trek = Serious Business

Serious Season 6 GIF by Parks and Recreation

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks