Star Trek Lower Decks coming Aug 6th

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This is the best episode yet. I loved the very long beauty shots of the ship as the crew watched from the shuttle. Yes, laughing at the wonderful shots from TMP, which many people say go on too long. Also laughed at the obvious tribute to Generations when the ship crashes.

At the risk of repeating myself, I am glad this show is produced by people with an obvious love and respect for Star Trek.

jayembee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jerry
What a season finale! Surprise guest-stars, a certain ship appearing for the first time in a Trek series, a number of changes affecting characters. And, the basic plot was actually serious for a change! (Though still not without the requisite humor and easter eggs.)

On the upside, for a while it was looking like they might've ended the season with a cliffhanger, and then didn't.

On the downside, it's going to be a long -- or at least feel like it's going to be a long -- wait for Season 2.

Still chuckling about "Those Old Scientists"...

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
The season finale was absolutely amazing from start to finish. While "Crisis Point" is still my favourite of the season (and as I wrote last week I think the episode is in the franchise's top tier), "No Small Parts" was equally (but differently) epic.

The Pah-wraiths are in for a world of hurt.

This was a great season: you could see the quality and confidence building with each episode. For all its sarcasm and mockery The Lower Decks is in many ways the purest form of the Star Trek. In their own unique ways the characters each embody the Star Trek spirit. They all want to be there, they all want to do good, and they all support each other (again, in their own ways). Have there every been two characters so positive as Ensign Tendi and Ensign Rutherford? Through ensign Mariner we had a critical eye occasionally directed toward Starfleet and the Federation, but it was never with scorn or contempt--more like well-intentioned rules breaking in the vein of Kirk or Picard.

Season one of The Lower Decks might be the most "re-watchable" season of Star Trek to-date.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Wow! It is really nice that you enjoyed the show so much. For me it was a mediocre effort at best, with some of the most annoying characters ever to appear in a Star Trek series. I record all Star Trek shows on my DVD recorders (remember those?) using erasable DVDs. I re-use these discs later when I buy the blu rays of the shows (I just received “Picard”). I have been recording Lower Decks. I doubt I will bother to buy the commercially made discs when they arrive. I don’t think it has any re-watch value.

• Haha
Reactions: TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
This was one of the best of all Star Trek episodes.
The surprise guest appearance was truly great.

it was funny when they referenced an episode of TOS but used the Animated show version on the tablet.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
After much back and forth about it, I went back for a third time and forced myself to watch Lower Decks before my CBS sub actually cancelled. The first two episodes were still hot garbage to me but by episode 3, the show hit its stride and everything clicked. I'm onboard for season 2 now.

Reactions: joshEH

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The season finale is the first episode I didn't want to turn off halfway through. That's an accomplishment. The characters all matured during the season and it shows here. If this is what S2 is gong to be like, I'm in.

Funny how I was lukewarm at best to Discovery Season 1..until finale. Burnham's final speech about what Starfleet is gave me hope those writers finally figured out what to do with the show. Same goes here: I hope they worked out the kinks for Lower Decks.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
The season finale is the first episode I didn't want to turn off halfway through. That's an accomplishment. The characters all matured during the season and it shows here. If this is what S2 is gong to be like, I'm in.

Funny how I was lukewarm at best to Discovery Season 1..until finale. Burnham's final speech about what Starfleet is gave me hope those writers finally figured out what to do with the show. Same goes here: I hope they worked out the kinks for Lower Decks.
I still don't like Discovery. I suffered through season 1 and quit about halfway through season 2. I'm 100% behind Strange New Worlds though.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I really enjoyed the finale - after a clunky start to the season, this show really found a groove and I look forward to it returning. I wonder if Boimler’s reassignment will be temporary or if we’ll be splitting time between the Cerritos and the Titan.

As far as I’m concerned, every season of every Trek can end with Riker swooping in to save the day.

My wife was very happy because her TNG viewing with me finally let her catch some Easter eggs. Normally she just goes by my laughter to deduce if something was a reference but this time she was able to catch more.

Even though the show is mostly a comedy, I love that they addressed the concept in this episode (multiple times) that just because Starfleet intervened to solve a problem once doesn’t mean that they should assume the problem has been permanently solved. It both allows the organic possibility to revisit past scenarios (as this episode did) while also adding an extra shade of realism to all of Trek by showing that while the crews do the best they can, that the work of advancing a society towards a lasting tranquility takes more than 45 minutes of screen time.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The funny thing is that the first seasons of "Picard" and "Lower Decks" ended with basically the same deus ex machina: When all seems lost and our protagonists are hopelessly outnumbered, Riker swoops in with a top of the line starship to save the day. It worked better on "Picard", because of the history between Picard and Riker.

2380 must have been a transitional year for uniforms, like 2257 or 2371, because the Titan was still using the First Contact-style uniforms. It had to be a short-lived design, since there was a completely different design five years later in 2385 when Picard resigned from Starfleet.

While I still find Boimler and Mariner irritating individually at times, I really enjoy their friendship; they temper some of the worst qualities in each other. Boimler reins Mariner in at times, and sets a good example. Mariner gets Boimler to take risks and engage with unorthodox solutions.

I kind of hope that Boimler doesn't get back to the Cerritos in the second season premiere. It'd be interesting to see him as a Lt. Junior Grade on the USS TItan, and how his experiences on the Cerritos maybe don't make him as ideal of a fit anymore for a more by-the-book starship. And then, on the Cerritos, maybe seeing how Mariner gets herself into trouble without Boimler around to moderate her impulsiveness.

Rutherford basically losing all of his memories from the entire season doesn't matter that much, because of the four main characters he was the most static. Assuming that they didn't replace his implant, it will be interesting to see what he's like when he's not a cyborg.

With Tendi, they've done a good job of tempering her naivete over the course of the season, without diminishing her optimism or enthusiasm.

One of the consequences of setting this in continuity with the live action shows is that unlike most animated shows, it will have to deal with the passage of time. At this point in the timeline, we're only seven years out from the destruction of Romulus, and only five years from the synth uprising on and above Mars. The show's window for telling stories in a TNG-esque universe is finite. I hope the show embraces that rather than dancing around it.

I know all of the long-term Trek fans love it, but I wish the show would ease off a bit on the callbacks to the earlier series. It makes the universe feel small. I'd much rather they focus on exploring corners that the other series haven't touched upon.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
I know all of the long-term Trek fans love it, but I wish the show would ease off a bit on the callbacks to the earlier series. It makes the universe feel small. I'd much rather they focus on exploring corners that the other series haven't touched upon.
It wouldn’t surprise me if they went in that direction in the next season.
Probably did so much of it this season just to get Some Trek fans to say “Oh yeah, I remember that” or new fans to say “maybe I’ll go check out that other trek show to see what the references are”

Im not bothered by it a little bit.
I like the references and callbacks.
The other live action shows will probably be were the new stuff we haven’t already seen before will happen.
Lower Decks seems like a show that takes place in the previous shows and follows along with people who are fans of those ”shows” As much as we are.
So it seems logical to me that it would have many references to those older shows and characters since these characters idolize those.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Loved the finale, and the season in general. It just got better and better as it went along.

I really liked seeing Boimler get promoted at the end, and transferred to the Titan (on the bridge, even). I'd hate to see that undone next season. Maybe they're going to write him out as a regular?

I'm also not bothered by all of the references to the previous shows. I even like the 4th-wall breaking ones (TOS? What's that?). If any Trek show should be kind of fan-servicey it's this one.

Wonder if this is the last we'll see of Badgey. Might be fun to bring him back one more time since Rutherford won't know who he is.

Last edited:
Reactions: jayembee

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
This is the deepest cut I have seen yet from the show. It's awesome that they did this. Come on, tell me these guys don't know and love Star Trek.

I laughed when I saw that in Mariner's stash. I think it's tied with the Xon reference for deepest cuts.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I saw the finale last night. They really pulled out everything in this episode, TOS references and an actual visit to Beta III. it was kind of dizzying to see them go nuts with the Pakled’s and their attack and near total destruction of the Cerritos. It was a fun surprise to see the Titan come to the rescue. like John DeLancie, it was really hard to tell at first that it was Frakes and Sirtis voices.

An earlier post commented that Frakes is making a habit of coming to the rescue at the last minute. It’s was a nice call back to All Good Things rather then Picard I thought. What I thought was funny was the crack about Riker just coming from watching an episode of Enterprise and making some fun of that reference.

I was also surprised they killed off a character, I suppose it was the Kobayashi Maru reference. I never really understood that Mariner’s mother‘s true identity was a secret to the crew. The ending with Boimler transferred to the Titan was fun. And I hope it sticks because it would be fun to see this series with Riker and Troi.

i did see the episode last week too and the references to the TOS films and the fly-by of the Enterprise in Space Dock. That was cool.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shredhead1260