Star Trek Lower Decks coming Aug 6th

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
I just finished episode 5 and so far love it.
It’s funny and the characters are great.

Mariner cracks me up. When she did the Vulcan hand sign at her mom I thought it was great.

Then when she made fun of the guy who mispronounced everything. Sen-Sore.

Canon or not so what. It’s funny and I love it poking fun at previous Trek shows and movies.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Wife and I loved the latest episode. I almost fell over at the "fan dance" gag. That scene in The Final Frontier was, IMHO, one of the most annoying parts in that wretched movie.
So much Trek is ripe for parody. That scene for sure.

Edwin-S

Senior HTF Member
I can see why he wouldn't consider the original animated series as Canon. The animation was bad and some of the stories didn't really fit the Star Trek universe. It was sort of interesting to see Larry Niven's Known Space story "The Soft Weapon" adapted for the show but it never really fits the ST universe, even though he apparently was the one who did the adaptation.

Edwin-S

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen the show, but I'm not enamored of series that make fun of and parody a universe that they belong to.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
I haven't seen the show, but I'm not enamored of series that make fun of and parody a universe that they belong to.
You don’t like parody?
So movies like Airplane are off your list of things to watch?

It’s really only a tv show. It’s not intended to be taken seriously.

Reactions: jayembee

Edwin-S

Senior HTF Member
You don’t like parody?
So movies like Airplane are off your list of things to watch?

It’s really only a tv show. It’s not intended to be taken seriously.
Airplane was its own thing. It wasn't part of the "Airport" franchise parodying its own canon. That was my point. I don't much care for a film or series in the same franchise mocking or parodying its own subject matter and/or canon.

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Airplane was its own thing. It wasn't part of the "Airport" franchise parodying its own canon. That was my point. I don't much care for a film or series in the same franchise mocking or parodying its own subject matter and/or canon.
Lower Decks does neither mock nor parody. It simply has some fun with existing Star Trek mythology. I've yet to see anything that fits the description of mocking or parodying.

Edwin-S

Senior HTF Member
I don't have cable TV. Streaming in Canada on Crave TV. I would check it out but I don't want to have to subscribe to yet another streaming service for one show.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I don't have cable TV. Streaming in Canada on Crave TV. I would check it out but I don't want to have to subscribe to yet another streaming service for one show.
I share your frustration. Crave does, however, also have the excellent "Raised by Wolves" right now which airs on HBO Max in the States).

Crave as a platform is hit-or-miss for me. Some shows are available immediately--like right at 12:00 am the day an episode drops. The Lower Decks and Raised by Wolves are both like this. Some shows have 5.1 audio, like The Lower Decks and Raised by Wolves, while others do not for some reason, like The Third Day and Lovecraft Country. For The Third Day and Lovecraft Country I either have to PVR them when they air or use the on-demand function to stream them (free from Shaw here in Calgary).

I've never had such a frustrating streaming service as Crave.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
Just finished ep 8.
loved that Q appearance and Mariner just waving him off and then what Q said about Picard.

I have wondered if there would be a Q appearance in one ofthese new Trek shows.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched the most recent episode last night. I think the last lines from Q were the only bits that really made me laugh. I’ve been watching the series since the start. I can’t say I love it yet. But I can appreciate what they are doing with all the references to last Star Trek films and series. There have been some good references used as throw away lines too. So I can enjoy the show on several levels.

I was surprised to see that it was John DeLancie in the credits, it was hard to tell that was his voice. Loved the line about Picard making wine and quoting Shakespeare!

I keep going back and thinking about Star Trek TAS. Obviously totally different in how they made the animation. TAS was pen and ink literally. Lower Decks appears to be done with digital tools that I’m very familiar with. But the level of detail is the same between the two. Except Lower Decks appears to have more frames animated when TAS did as theres much more nature motion. Though I have no idea if they are actually creating frames of cells like they used to do. I’m only bringing this up because I sometimes find myself thinking about it as I watch the new episodes of Lower Decks.

Another aspect I found interesting now that we are in the age of Covid, was the dialogue recorded from each actor’s homes? I thought I read that was the case. On TAS, I know the stories that William Shatner would record his dialogue on the road while he was traveling for shows he was doing. So I found the dialogue to sound flat and he complained that he missed playing off another actor to help his performance and reactions. So if the Lower Decks cast was all separated when they do their dialogue, they are done well. Maybe they are doing it via Zoom. Or they did the recordings in a studio before Covid?

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Reactions: Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully now that Mariner has worked out some of her mommy issues, she'll be less obnoxious going forward.

I loved that Rutherford started out as an evil henchman and ended up in more or less exactly the same role he has in the real world.

Are Orions known for being pirates? The only real memory I have of Orions before this show was Uhura's roommate at Starfleet Academy that Kirk banged in the Kelvin timeline.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I thought episode 9, "Crisis Point", was a legit Star Trek masterpiece. Easily the best TLD episode so far, and frankly in the upper tier of Star Trek.

The "showcase" shots of the Cerritos--while played for laughs as they dragged on got increasingly bonkers--were downright beautiful at the start. The music was fantastic.

I really enjoyed the homages to the Star Trek films. The framing of the "movie" sequences actually did look cinematic in their framing and composition.

Loved it all.

Reactions: joshEH

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeas the switch to 2.35:1 was great.
There was film scratches.
lint on the lense
I saw at least one cigarette burn marker.

Reactions: Sam Favate

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julianaolsan