Star Trek Lower Decks coming Aug 6th

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
Can someone update the thread title. Maybe to Arrived or get rid of the date completely.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
This week’s episode seemed to have an Easter egg a second - so many references to chuckle through. I also love that the twist wasn’t that the girlfriend wasn’t an alien, but rather, that he was the one with the parasite. A clever twist on an overused Trek trope.
I think this is my favorite episode so far. Though I felt kind of bad for, um, Bradward in this episode. Poor guy.

Mariner is better when she's not acting like a spoiled brat, and her attempts to investigate Boimler's girlfriend and suspecting her of every romantic-partner-is-actually-a-monster Trek trope she could think of were hilarious. And her genuine caring for Boimler by sticking with it comes through.

The command crew was actually competent, too.

I also loved Tendi and Rutherford's geeking out over the Vancouver. They're becoming my favorite characters.

(I noticed that this is the first episode without a cold open... wonder if that's how it will be from now on)

Last edited:

jayembee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jerry
(I noticed that this is the first episode without a cold open... wonder if that's how it will be from now on)
I noticed this, and my wife asked if the previous episode had one. For the life of me, I couldn't remember if any of the previous episodes had one or not. Thanks.

We were laughing ourselves silly with this episode. If it keeps this up, this may end up being our favorite Trek series ever.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'll admit, for as "meh" as I've been about this show, "Terminal Provocations" got me to laugh. I liked Badgey for some strange reason. Kind of a perfect mash up of the Microsoft Paperclip asking if you need help and the classic holodeck gone awry trope.

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed last night’s episode. It’s nice to see a Trek show that isn’t so heavy. I mean, Picard had moments of levity, but Discovery didn’t. (And I like them both.)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Last night's episode was more what I was hoping for from this series: low-ranking grunts just trying to keep their heads above water.

Mariner and Boimler are far less annoying when they're working together to solve a common goal than they are when they're at odds with each other.

I'll admit, for as "meh" as I've been about this show, "Terminal Provocations" got me to laugh. I liked Badgey for some strange reason. Kind of a perfect mash up of the Microsoft Paperclip asking if you need help and the classic holodeck gone awry trope.
The homicidal 24th century version of Clippy was the most "Rick & Morty"-esque storyline this show has had yet.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I also enjoyed last night’s episode. It seems like they’ve found their groove and I look forward to seeing what next season will be like now that they’ve found their voice.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
Try as I might, I could never get into Rick and Morty. It wasn’t funny at all and didn’t work for me. Same with Lower Decks. The jokes didn’t land and it was tedious to watch. I didn’t make it halfway through the first episode before turning it off and cancelling my CBS sub until season 2 of Picard comes out.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Though we didn't at first, my wife and, I (both in our late 60s), find "Rick and Morty" hilarious. We often pick up amusing sayings and repeat them for days (snake jazz?). She and I tried the new Trek series. I am still plowing through, (after all it is Trek), but she is not. She also does not have as much Trek knowledge as I do, and has only seen shows that have made it to blu-ray. For instance in the last episode on the "hospital" planet, where they had just about every Trek featured injury or disease, she wouldn't get the reference or joke.

Reactions: joshEH

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I can't get into Rick & Morty either. My wife definitely isn't into that kind of humor but she has been watching & enjoying Lower Decks with me. She's not a big Trek fan but has seen a lot of it (TOS, TNG, movies, Discovery, & Picard)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I really enjoyed this week’s episode. Between the flashback structure allowing more and more outrageously hilarious randomness, that delightful cameo and a bunch of fun potshots at previous Trek heroes, I might’ve laughed more during this one than any of the others. I can see how the show isn’t for everyone but I’m getting what I want from it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed this week’s episode. Between the flashback structure allowing more and more outrageously hilarious randomness, that delightful cameo and a bunch of fun potshots at previous Trek heroes, I might’ve laughed more during this one than any of the others. I can see how the show isn’t for everyone but I’m getting what I want from it.
I haven't enjoyed this show nearly as much as you have, but I definitely think this week's episode was the best one yet.

It was the kind of predicament that only lower decks crew who are out of the loop would find themselves in. The reveal at the end of what was really going on felt like a stretch, but the build-up to it was solid. Kurtwood Smith is reliably great when it comes to Star Trek guest appearances, and you could tell he was having a blast as the voice of the alien interrogator.

Mariner and Boimler work a lot better as a team than when they're at odds with each other.

And it was kind of delightful for John de Lancie to pop up voicing Q in a handful of scenes that basically made of all of the usual Q story lines.

My favorite character is Dr. T'Ana. She seems like a decent doctor, but she's got a mouth like a sailor and she's refreshingly blunt.
Boimler: We could do uh evasive maneuver eighty... eight?
T'Ana: Is he fuckin' serious?

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It was great. This was another one that had such a barrage of easter egg lines that I couldn't keep up. Loved that they referenced "The Hunted," one of my favorite TNG episodes.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Like the other Josh I have been enjoying this show from the start. I think it has had the best first season (so far) of any Star Trek show in terms of overall quality. Not a single "clunker" episode (again, so far).

Boimler is correct: Roga Danar was a total badass.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’d slightly disagree and say that I found the first three episodes or so to be very clunky - not full on clunkers perhaps, but more of the kind of things where I knew they were making a joke but the comedy didn’t actually make me laugh. I wish they could have taken the lessons learned from constructing those episodes without actually giving us those episodes. But assuming this runs long enough to get a few dozen episodes under its belt before riding into the sunset, that’ll be such a small portion of the whole that it won’t matter.

Reactions: Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I’d slightly disagree and say that I found the first three episodes or so to be very clunky - not full on clunkers perhaps, but more of the kind of things where I knew they were making a joke but the comedy didn’t actually make me laugh. I wish they could have taken the lessons learned from constructing those episodes without actually giving us those episodes. But assuming this runs long enough to get a few dozen episodes under its belt before riding into the sunset, that’ll be such a small portion of the whole that it won’t matter.
I found the first two episodes work better on a rewatch. The show is so energetic and, frankly, breathless at times, that it took a bit of getting used to both in tone and delivery. By the time we got to episode three, "Temporal Edict" (the crystal culture episode--which I thought was awesome), I was finally vibrating on the show's frequency. I went back to the first two episodes and enjoyed them more. I agree (as I noted in post #6) that the jokes could have been punched up a bit, though. The visual gags, however, have been home runs since jump.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I am watching the shows, but with the screechy unpleasant voices of the characters I have to put my hands over my ears!

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm sufficiently on board now with Team Alex Trek. I was nervous during the first season of Discovery that they weren't getting it, but with the second season, and then Picard, and now Lower Decks, plus the very wise decision to pursue a Capt. Pike show, they are most definitely getting it, and I am eager to see what they do next.

I've been rewatching Discovery in advance of its new season. It's better when you see the episodes a day apart (instead of a week) but that first season had a lot of problems.

jayembee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jerry
Wife and I loved the latest episode. I almost fell over at the "fan dance" gag. That scene in The Final Frontier was, IMHO, one of the most annoying parts in that wretched movie.

Reactions: TonyD

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I love Star Trek V but the idea of that scene was better than the execution of it, for sure.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gil Jones