What's new

Star Trek IV: Special Edition - Due 3/4 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Paramount has announced the details to Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - Special Collector's Edition.
Due on March 4th, this 2-disc set will include an anamorphic widescreen transfer (2.35:1), and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround. Extras include an audio commentary with Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner, a text commentary by Michael and Denise Okuda, a boatload of making-of featurettes ("Time Travel: The Art of the Possible," "The Language of Whales," "A Vulcan Primer," "Kirk's Women," "Future's Past: A Look Back," "On Location," "Dailies Deconstruction," "Below-the-Line: Sound Design," "From Outer Space to the Ocean," "The Bird of Prey," "Roddenberry Scrapbook" and "Featured Artist: Mark Lenard"), original interviews with Leonard Nimoy, William Shatner and DeForest Kelley, a still gallery of storyboards and production photos, and the theatrical trailer.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
No mention of the alternate opening being one of the extras. :frowning:
Neil

Haden

Supporting Actor
What was the alternate opening?

I'm disappointed that there's no mention of ANY cut scenes for this DVD, especially the famous one where Sulu meets his great-great-grandfather. I don't mind if they aren't edited back into the film and are just included as extras, but I'd like to see them.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Haden-

My understanding of the Sulu sequence where he meets his great, great Grandfather is that it was never filmed. As I recall the story being told by Nimoy himself in one of his books, they hired a child actor to play that scene and had it all set up with George Takei. BUt the child was not working out, he could not be coaxed into a performance, he was rather shy or something to that effect. Due to schedule restraints, they had to abandon that scene for the day and to all's dissapointment, especially George Takei, it was not shot. I believe George Takei's book tells the same story.

Nimoy may dicuss it in the audio commentary, that would be nice.

Looking foreward to the DVD!

Nelson

Haden

Supporting Actor
Hmm... pity. But surely there were some other minor cut scenes that WERE filmed but for some stupid reason aren't included on this DVD.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
According to a new Trekweb article, the European prologue with flashbacks and added music score will not be included in the SE.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Will Shatner and Nimoy be doing a commentary TOGETHER in the same room, or did they do seperate commentaries that will be edited together as one?

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Joshua,

The current non-SE release is indeed anamorphic. Looks pretty good too. I'll be hangning onto it for the Nimoy "Director's Series" segment where he discusses the benefits of widescreen. Looking over the list of specs, this piece will not be included in the SE.

Regards,

D

Seth_S

Second Unit

I disagree. It's not bad, but to my eyes, it looks a bit washed out and soft. I'm not counting on Paramount to create a new transfer.

Will the rest of the cast at least be featured in the Trek VI extras?

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
It's not bad, but to my eyes, it looks a bit washed out and soft.
To my eyes, this movie has always appeared soft. It makes me think that this is an issue with the film itself. Granted, I'm just guessing and could be wrong so I welcome any correction. As to a washed-out transfer, well that's in the eye of the viewer/videophile and I just don't see it. I wonder if HD-DVD would remove the softness. Until the studios can come to an agreement on a HD laser, the bottom line is that Trek IV's current DVD transfer is the best the film has ever looked on home video.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Adrian_P

Stunt Coordinator
I am pretty sure I have that prologue on the VHS tape I bought of this film many years ago. I always felt it was tacked on and didn't really belong with the movie. Though it is a pity it won't be included on the DVD. Nevertheless I will still purchase this DVD. It is nice to see that they are keeping with the cover designs. This will look very nice next to the special editions of the first three films.

Wayne Reibold

Stunt Coordinator
I strongly suspect this will NOT have a new transfer. They should get with it and release this as a Superbit with DTS 5.1!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks