What's new

3D Blu-ray Review Star Trek Into Darkness 3D Blu-Ray Review (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Although I found the movie entertaining enough, I do understand the complaints some people have expressed. After the disappointment of Abrams' Super 8, another film I thought came off as derivative rather than the homage it was supposed to be, STID didn't really surprise me. I do hope things actually move into some original territory for the next film.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I looked at Target's website and even put this disc into a cart. But I couldn't see if there is an option for in store pick-up. Does Target do that? Just curious, if not, I'll just stop by tomorrow and see if there any of these exclusives available and in stock. The hoops I'm jumping through! :)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Thanks for the review, Neil. I didn't really like this movie, but I was thinking of getting it anyway, because there's just something about the Trek films (even the bad ones) that keep me coming back to revisit them from time to time.

Still, this ridiculous release strategy is making it difficult for me to justify a purchase. We'll see.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Neil,Thank you for the review. I especially enjoyed what you had to say about the special features included in this release.

My son asked me if I was going to pick this film up. He even reminded me that he can play blu-ray discs on a couple of his gaming devices. ;) I reminded him that since I am a completist when it comes to Trek, that I had every intention of picking it up once it came out on DVD. I will be purchasing it sometime this week or next. I still haven't seen the film, but I am looking forward to watching it on our large-screen television. This will be the second film on blu-ray that I have purchased.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Couple of questions for the peeps in the know...

1. The German IMAX version...is that "just" in 3D, or is that also in 2D? Can't get any confirmation anywhere other than it being the "German 3D release"...

2. Any info on the "includes deleted scenes" Australian edition?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This seems such a screwy release. I went to my local Target this evening to get the exclusive and I only could find the regular one. So I decided to just buy it from their website. And I found that its not sold on the website, according to the page for the exclusive version. And earlier in the day, I check the stock on their website for the store local to me and it said the exclusive version was in stock. Maybe I'll try again. Or just forget it and get the regular release.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This falls into that all-too-common category of a film I was not going to allow myself to miss at the theater...but did.

So, I am anxious to pick it up.

I agree with everyone about the deplorable treatment of this release in terms of extras being split across so many retailers. I hate the concept of retailer exclusives. In fact, I've got an entire thread on the subject in the Music Forum which I started after being burned so many times finding out about new CD releases which contain "bonus" music--but only at certain stores/outlets.

From all I've read on the subject, Target's going to get me the best package.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
As someone who felt the Star Trek franchise was all but tired-out and trite in its last several movie incarnations before the last two movies, I have to proclaim that J.J. Abrams has revived my interest in the franchise with the alternate time-line reimaginings we've gotten.

Both films are excellent, enervating (and up-to-the-minute FX-wise) stories with a perfect cast on all rounds.

I'm rather grateful I'm not tied to the Trekker romanticism of TOS and TNG. I love them both, but I love these newer movies even more. I have the original references and love seeing what is different and same about the characters.

An alternate telling of the tale in "Into Darkness" is just what the doctor ordered, IMO. Loved the odd twists and turns. I could watch "Into Darkness" again and again and revel in its suprises.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The Best Buy exclusive edition only pertains to the 2D combo pack. If you want the 3D version, you are getting the same combo pack everyone else in the US is getting. :angry:

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Todd Erwin said:
The Best Buy exclusive edition only pertains to the 2D combo pack. If you want the 3D version, you are getting the same combo pack everyone else in the US is getting. :angry:
Kind of like the movie itself, this release keeps topping its own ridiculousness.

I guess whoever made all these retailer exclusive decisions was banking on the fact that many Star Trek fans (myself included) were interested in buying this whether they liked the movie or not, and would possibly buy multiple editions. But trying to decide exactly which edition(s) they want is so confusing that I imagine a lot those fans will just throw up their hands and say forget it.

This release might still sell quite a few units. But I think a feature-packed single edition would have sold through the roof.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nelson Au said:
This seems such a screwy release. I went to my local Target this evening to get the exclusive and I only could find the regular one...
Nelson:

Did you look for any displays near the front registers?

Here's my story. I went to my local Target tonight (Cartwheel coupon and Target card in hand) and made a bee-line right to the Movie/Music section in the back of the store. And here's what was on the shelf:

image 1.jpeg

Just the "regular" releases. I was confused at first because each had "Target Exclusive" stickers on them. But, those stickers were for $10 in coupons for upcoming Paramount releases.

I asked the guy in the electronics department if he knew if they had any of the Target exclusive versions of the Star Trek discs that were supposed to have different packaging and bonus content. He said, well, sure. They are on a special cardboard display at the front of the store by the front registers."

And there they were:

image 2.jpeg

image 3.jpeg

Moral of the story. They might not be where they should be. AND...don't get confused by the "Target Exclusive" stickers for those coupons on the regular releases. Look for the white cover with the four colorful images combining to make the star fleet logo.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just a cautionary tale for Target shoppers. I went to pick up the 3-D with bonus content. When I got there the only ones in the BD area contained the same 3-D lenticular cover that other stores are getting with a sticker that says something about a future purchase planning savings exclusive to Target (it refers to coupons for other Paramount BDs that are in the packaging) but *nothing* about extra 30 minutes of content, despite the shelf label below it saying so.

I made a worker go into the back where he found the 3-D version with the ugly exclusive Target cover (so yeah I'm bummed about not getting the 3-D lenticular Enterprise cover) but that sticker specifically says 30 minutes of exclusive content right on it. And the UPC is different.

Not trusting the shelf tag completely, I just bought the ugly cover version which contained 4 discs and more content than is listed on page 1 of this thread. But beware, buying the lenticular cover version from Target may just be the same version that everyone else is getting, without the Target exclusive.

-------------------------------------
EDIT
Whoops, cross posted with Mike. I agree completely with what he said. Although for mine, the "front of the store stand" contained the Target exclusive only for the non-3-D blu ray. All 3-D blu rays at the front store stand and the regular section with the standard lenticular covers. I had to make a worker go into the back and look for it specifically.

What a clusterf@#! of a release. :blink:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mike, I went back to my local Target tonight and found that special display in front. Earlier in the day, I downloaded the app for Target. It actually says where it is in the store, aisle l2. I still had to ask and it was in front as you said. But no more copies were left!So I decided, heck, I'll go out of my way and go to another Target. The app showed this Target had them in the Electronics section. And I got lucky and found only 4 copies left. So managed to get the white cover version, 3D and 2D and DVD and digital with over one hour of exclusive extras. Definitely a pain of a release.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ha, ha! I originally wrote PITA, but I didn't want to put it that way. I like the way you made it POAR! :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"Look for the white cover with the four colorful images combining to make the star fleet logo."

Mike,

Thank you. I will remember this (and Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD + Digital copy) when purchasing my copy either this week or next.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You better hurry Scott if you want to grab the Target exclusive edition. While I'm not clear if the quantities are limited, or if more inventory will be shipped to Target stores, but the blu rays are selling fast and not so surprisingly, the exclusive version was sold out where I went.This POAR is not suffering from slow sales yet, at least at Target. Even the regular blu ray 3D, 2D copy stock is very low at the two stores I went to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks