Star Trek III The Search For Spock. How does it rate?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Reginald Trent, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Star Trek III The Search For Spock. How does it rate alone and where does it rate among the other Star Trek DVDs? Which do you consider the best?

2. JenB

JenB Screenwriter

Star Trek III The Search For Spock-Easily, my favorite of all the Star Trek movies. Five stars-It also has my favorite of the two Lt. Saaviks, Robin Curtis in a much bigger role here which led to her being one of my all time favorite Trek characters. In addition, it delves deeper into more character development then many of the other movies including quite a bit about Kirk's family. The novelization by Vonda McIntyre also is my favorite Trek book and is even richer in character development beyond the movie. Deeply enjoyable. [​IMG]
    Two of my other favorite Trek movies are Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. One of my least favorites is the one with the laughing Vulcan who is Spock's brother. That was one was pretty awful.
    P.S. I forgot to mention that I got this DVD as a Christmas gift but have not yet had a chance to watch it. I look forward to checking it out since it seems pretty cool-esp. with Robin Curtis doing some commentary. [​IMG]

3. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I actually just saw The Search for Spock for the first time last week when I bought the 2-disc DVD. I liked it a lot, even more than Khan, which was my previous favorite of the old school Trek movies. As far as how it ranks with the other Trek DVDs I'd say it's about the same as the other 2-disc sets. I haven't had a chance to watch the extras yet, but I'm sure there as good as the previous Director's Cuts. I'd really like to see reissues of Generations and First Contact also.

4. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

How does Part 3 rate?
    Somewhere between parts 2 and 4, both chronologically and in quality. [​IMG]
    I've always been impressed the way STs 2, 3, and 4 maintain a 'backstory' while offering new stuff in each film.
    Part 3 has a healthy dose of everything a Trekkie likes: action, humor, character moments, and smarts. I just watched this one again recently and was impressed with a lot of it...Shatner's periodic overemoting notwithstanding. [​IMG]

5. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I don't have the DVD, but as a film Star Trek III is easily the worst of the entire series (and that includes Nemesis, which is the second-worst). I can't imagine that I'd ever want to see it again (unless I get a group of friends together for a MST3K-style screening).
    Judging by the first few replies, however, this is an opinion not shared by many! [​IMG]
    I consider Star Trek: The Motion Picture (by a country mile)and Star Trek II to be the best of the series. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country is also pretty good. The rest are really just sub-par episodes of the show., IMO.

6. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

As someone who's seen the films but is not a fan of the series/genre (don't ask), I'd say III is among the least entertaining. The only Trek films I've enjoyed are II and First Contact. The rest are awful, in my opinion.

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Out of four. Ok, but not a must-see unless you are a fan of the series.

8. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Star Trek 3 SFS is my second favorite behind Wrath Of Khan.

I LOVE this movie- it also has my favorite scene in any Trek Film the destruction of the Enterprise and it going down in flames

I have to hold back tears every time I see it.:b

9. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    An enjoyable entry in the franchise, favorite bit is the 'stealing the Enterprise' sequence, and James Horner's music is great, only let down is the fake looking Genesis planet sets, reminds me of the old 60's Trek sets, rubber rocks, fake plants etc. Christopher Lloyd is good value as the mad bad Klingon Commander Kruge.
    Sadly its an odd-numbered Trek and that automatically makes it bad, sorry guys, ain't fair I tells ya, I like the film! From what I hear Star Trek X Nemesis is a dog, but its number 10 so that puts it in the 'good' category, I know I know I hate this 'Trek-rule' too, double damn ass on them all!![​IMG]
    "Impressive! They can make planets!"