Star Trek III: Search for Spock SE - 10/8/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jodee, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

It looks like Paramount is true to their word on re-doing the Star Trek movies in order.

DVDEmpire just posted the pre-order for STIII - Special Collector's Edition - October 8th!

This Trek fan is running out of money this fall...

2. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

cool... hope this gets verified soon.. that's pretty quick considering that's like 2 months after ST 2

Chris.

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Maybe they'll be getting rid of Robin Curtis and do a "Forrest Gump" video overlay with Kirstie Alley back as Saavik. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    I hope so, John--I liked Kirstie better, too.
    10/8 would be nice; I'll pick up this and Flashdance at the same time![​IMG]

5. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    dvdfile.com just confirmed Oct 8!![​IMG]

6. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

YES! A special edition for my favorite Trek movie (despite Robin Curtis [​IMG]). I'm all over this one. [​IMG]

7. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    PLEEEAAASSSEEEE!!!! Commentary by the director!! (Spock)

8. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

What's wrong with Curtis? I think she played a Vulcan better than Kirstie.

9. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I think they both did equally well. Definitely will be getting the STIII SE release, my favorite of all the odd-numbered movies.

10. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

11. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

12. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

I think Robin Curtis did a fine job in Star Trek III. What bothered me was trying to pass her off as the same character that Kirstie Alley was playing in Star Trek II. Couldn't they have just created a new character for her to play?

13. Paul-Gunther

Paul-Gunther Stunt Coordinator

Exactly. That was my problem as well. I saw no reason that it had to be the exact same character. A Vulcan, yes, but not the same one. Surely there are other Vulcans in Starfleet.

Anyway, this is one of my least favorites, so my picking it up will depend on what features are included.

14. Osato

Osato Producer

Will be picking II and III up. Can't wait! I believe Shatner and Nimoy will be doing commentaries from III on. Also check out this link at Trek Web. It appears IV isn't far behind. Maybe it will come in December?
    http://talk.trekweb.com/articles/200...027456296.html
    I'm guessing (hoping) Nemesis would come after IV. Would really like to see them do a Director's Cut of V.

15. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Well, the reason they stuck with the Saavik character was several-fold:
    1) They didn't KNOW that the fans would not like the new actress as much as the old one, whatever the reason for that fan reaction really was (in other words, whether Robin did badly or instead did well but fans just likes Kristie more for whatever reason),
    2) Saavik had at the time been planned as the first of several new "younger" characters they were planning to introduce to slowly replace the aging characters and actors, and go on with the film franchise forever (or at least a long time). Instead, fans behaved badly at the idea of Spock's death, prompting Spock's return in the 3rd film. AND the new actress wasn't appreciated as Saavik, hastening the leaving-behind of that character after a very brief role in the 4th film (they mentioned in the novel but not in the film that she was pregnant with Spock's baby as a result of the Pon Farr mating in ST3:TSFS). Lastly, at the time of choosing to continue the character of Saavik for franchise reasons, they had no way of knowing that TNG would happen, so this seemed like the only option to keep the franchise going.
    Now of course we know better! [​IMG]
    P.S. - what was planned for Saavik and never revealed on-screen could probably fill a book. Oh well, Robin got to don the ears again in the TNG 2-parter "The Gambit"! :wink:

16. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

Weren't Vulcans and Romulans both from a common ancestor?

17. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

18. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Will this be a 2 disc edition like The Motion Picture was and Wrath of Khan will be?

19. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Insider
    Insider

Hey Guys,

Just FYI, we've just posted the official cover artwork and confirmed DVD specs for this title on The Bits - straight from Paramount this evening.

The 2-disc set will include the original theatrical cut of the film on Disc One, in anamorphic widescreen video with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. You will also find feature-length audio commentary with director Leonard Nimoy, writer/producer Harve Bennett, director of photography Charles Correll and actress Robin Curtis, along with another text commentary by Michael and Denise Okuda. Disc Two will include the Captain's Log production retrospective featurette (featuring new interviews with Leonard Nimoy, William Shatner, Christopher Lloyd and Robin Curtis), the Terraforming and the Prime Directive featurette (which looks at the science fiction and real subject of "terraforming", featuring an interview with a NASA scientist), 3 additional production featurettes (Space Docks and Birds of Prey, Speaking Klingon and Klingon and Vulcan Costumes), the film's theatrical trailer, storyboards and a photo gallery. Note that the street date and features have been officially confirmed with the studio.

See the Bits for the artwork. Best!

20. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Tim Glover wrote:
    Granted, but two scenes do not a good movie make, and even these two had such credibility problems as to somewhat negate their exhilarating effects---in particular, "The-Star-Fleet-so-dumb/Enterprise-crew-so-smart" aspects of the former and the "Klingons-too-stupid-to-live" aspects of the latter. Much too often Star Fleet (or the "Federation High Council", or other part of the bureaucracy) turns conveniently stupid (or evil) for the convenience of the current plot (whether movie or tv).
    Overall a missed opportunity made with aspects of a "sequel-at-all-costs" mentality.