What's new

Star Trek III - no new cut (1 Viewer)

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
I don't really think so, granted I am not an expert but a casual fan.

Personally, I really do not know what you could add to III and not slow down the action or the moving of the story. It happens to be one of my favorties of the series, and I feel it plays just right in its current form.

-- Matt

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
Are we sure we are getting SEs of ALL the Trek movies? If so I am prepared to sell off my current DVDs, at least from Kahn to Generations in exchange for the SEs (First Contact and Insurrection are pretty good DVDs quality-wise so I would wait to see if there were any bonus materials worthy of upgrading them.

I would hate to sell and see Paramount quit on the SE thing before they went through the whole catalog.

I am one of the few fans of Generations (3rd best Trek IMHO) and am anxiously looking for an anamporphic transfer...

Richard Ruffner

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard nothing about any footage from ST III that was cut. (Unlike 2,6,7).

I believe Paramounts rep said that they will work their way back up the movies chronologically making SE's as they go. I guess some will be Director's Cuts, and some will be just SE's.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand why no one thought Star Trek I was the best. This movie was more close to the TV series than any of the other films.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
ST:TMP was good, fondly remembered as the one that helped bring Trek back in a big way. The recent Director's Cut is the best, IMO, and I was there for the original theatrical release in Dec '79. It's still one of my favs, but for me not the best. I still think ST II and III were closer to what the original series was like.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I just read about III on Trekweb as well as The Digital Bits. I will be picking it up for the extras though. Great movie. I'm such a huge fan of the original crew.
Star Trek II will have some scenes that aired when it was broadcast on ABC for the first time. Can't wait to see those as well! Nick Meyer wanted these scenes in the film.

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
When Paramount hits Star Trek V, lets hope they let Shatner reconstruct his original cut of the film, which, even after the budget cuts and special effects fiascos ran a bit over 125 minutes. Also, with some digital tweaking, i'm sure it could be made to shine. Many will disagree with me on this point, but there IS a good movie in there.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
My only wish is the special editions start to include DTS. I would love to experience the starship/phaser battles in this format.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I saw TMP/DE and the scene where they lose Sonak in the transporter. I always thought in the orginal you hear a tech from SF say "we got them back, but what we got didn't live for long". But this was not on the DE nor in the "altered scenes" section. Anyone know more baout this?

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I saw TMP/DE and the scene where they lose Sonak in the transporter. I always thought in the orginal you hear a tech from SF say "we got them back, but what we got didn't live for long". But this was not on the DE nor in the "altered scenes" section. Anyone know more baout this?
It's there. The line is, "Enterprise, what we got back didn't live long, fortunately". It comes out of the right channel only, so I would check your wiring.

Neil

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
DTS and DTS-ES Discrete 6.1.

Make it so, Paramount. Your excuses are getting pretty darn thin. Just look to New Line... and even Anchor Bay.

Dan

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I don't think every release needs to be a directors cut, only those for which the material and the director makes such an option attractive. Personally I'd love to see a director's cut of First Contact, as I know that was edited to acheive a particular rating. I think Nimoy has said that 3 and 4 are as they were meant to be, so we may well see a similar announcement for Star Trek IV next year. I'm really hoping for some extended material on the Next Generation films, and would be interested in a final cut of VI.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
It's there. The line is, "Enterprise, what we got back didn't live long, fortunately". It comes out of the right channel only, so I would check your wiring.
Neil
Thanks, I will. When I first got my RPTV and DVD, the first DVD I watched was Twister. I don't have any of the HT Audio Products, so I was hooked up stereo (RCA jacks). I found the dialog was VERY low and overpowered by the music and the sound effects. And then I found by changing to mono, (which on my eqpt it says use L channel for mono), the balance between the dialog, the music and the sound effects was MUCH better. I've had it this way ever since and this is the first time I noticed a problem. I thought that using mono you were supposed to get content for both channels out of the one channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks