What's new

Star Trek III Director's Edition? V? (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwoc...html#trek2annc
Saw this a few days ago. I am curious if there is any footage that will be put back into III. I know there was footage of The Motion Picture and Wrath of Khan from the ABC broadcasts of the films in the early 80's. Does anyone know of any deleted footage that would be included?
Is there any footage from the other films that should end up on DVD? Generations had an alternate ending as well as the skydive sequence with Kirk. Insurrection had an alternate ending as well correct?
Thanks in advance for your input.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
If I am not mistaken, Digital Bits rumored that Star Trek III (some sort of special edition) would be released by the end of the year. Since that time, Star Trek II: Director Edition got pushed up to Aug., so I would *guess* 2003 for ST III. I have heard nothing about alternate footage but it wouldn't surprise me.
Even though I will buy this when it's released, it was my least favorite of the original films and I would like to see extra footage or something to improve it. :)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
If you page down below the picture of the Director's Edition there is a note that III may be released in 2002.

I would like to see V finished with Shatner's original idea for the film. I know the footage for the ending that was originally shot didn't turn out. Perhaps something could be done. The effects are the worst of the series as well for V.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I believe so, Andy. But, I think it will depend on how well these earlier Director Cuts sell.

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, about the only way I'll buy V is if they go back, redo the effects, and generally re-edit the thing.

Actually, just redo the effects and I'll be okay, I think. If they do that, I'll pick it up. If not, it will remain the one Star Trek film I don't have in my collection.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
(Director's Edition, does this mean Shatner wil get his dream to fix Trek V when it comes up?)

I hope so... Why else would ANYONE buy that disc again, if not? Trek V Has potential. Was a very "Classic" trek story...

Shatner has been good to the franchise for 36 years. Has helped make Paramount ALOT of $!
The least they can do is offer him the same opportunity they gave Robert Wise for ST:TMP.
If they just re-issue the Theatrical version w/ a commentary saying, "Jeez, if ONLY we had had more time... if ONLY we had had more $... if ONLY ILM had done the FX..."
and some pointless documentary it will be a missed opportunity and I can't for the life of me think of any reason for ANYONE to buy it.

Petition time, anyone???

D

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The ST2:TWOK Director's edition does indeed have the ABC footage restored. No word on the ending
Nothing can help ST5 except including the Fan-MST3K as an alt audio track. Rocks Rocks Rocks Rocks Rocks Rocks Rocks Rocks Rocks Rocks Rocks, you head is full of rocks, it's even in our underwear and here comes Mr. Spock! :)
ST3 should be out before the end of 2002

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I'd love to see a director's cut of Final Frontier, but I don't think all of the films necessarily need a new cut. If there were scenes the respective directors want back in the film, fine, but they shouldn't mess with it just to mess with it. Deleted scenes as a separate feature would be great, though. Maybe some isolated scores, too.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Petition time, anyone???
I agree. For whatever reason, people seem to hate V when frankly I think III is the worst. V had potential and it was a good story, but the special effects were just so bad. I found certain CGI sequences for The Last Starfighter to be superior in many ways, which is scary.

If Shatner can be allowed to go back and clean it up (with new special effects, preferably), I'd definintely buy it.

To go off on a related tangent, what are these "original idea for the film" and "original footage for the ending" that were mentioned earlier?

Anders Englund

Second Unit
For whatever reason, people seem to hate V when frankly I think III is the worst. V had potential and it was a good story, but the special effects were just so bad.
Quite agree about V. It could have been real good. I and III aren't really that bad either, but I really don't like IV. All that save-the-whales crap really gets on my nerves...

--Anders

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I look forward to potential special editions of each film. Particularly 4, and First Contact.

I wonder that Generations could be improved by anything on the cutting room floor. I'd at least like to see a deleted scene of the alternat death sequence.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
To go off on a related tangent, what are these "original idea for the film" and "original footage for the ending" that were mentioned earlier?
For one thing, the ending could have been potentially more exciting. Originally, instead of "God" chasing Kirk to the shuttle-craft at the end, three "rock creatures" were to come to life and chase Kirk. The "rock creatures" were to be a combination of "floor effects" (i.e. men in rubber suits) spiced-up by post-production opticals. When the budget was cut, it was decided to go with just one "rock creature". The scene with the one "rock creature" was shot, but the footage was supposedly laughably bad. As a result, the optical effect with "God" chasing Kirk was conjured up in post-production at the last second.

The CGI "rock creature" in Galaxy Quest was a direct "shot" at Star Trek V's SFX woes.

The entire Star Trek V production cycle seemed cursed. They had to work around a teamsters' strike during location shooting early in the production, and ILM had to bow out of the SFX work during post-production due to prior commitments. You can read about the entire nightmare in Shatner's "Star Trek Movie Memories" book.

Todd K

Second Unit
I'd be very interested to see extra footgae for Star Trek III, though to be honest it's the only film that I've never heard of extra footage existing for. As mentioned above, I and II had the ABC versions, IV (if nothing else) had an alternate prologue, V had the rock creature, and VI had the extra footage for the home video version.
And from what I've heard about potential from Star Trek V, it could have been a very solid movie.
Here are some links to "what could have been" for Star Trek V:
Link Removed
http://www.geocities.com/phineasbg/st5.html

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't III rushed through production rather quickly when II was such a success? I seem to remember it being somewhat of a rush job. It fits well with II but doesn't really stand on its own. It's not my favorite, but certainly not the worst of the bunch. For me, GENERATIONS is worse than even V.

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I remember seeing V in the theater and saying to myself "what was that?". But after seeing repeat viewings on home video it wasn't that bad. Trek movies have had their peak and valleys but I would buy Director Cuts of all of them, III and V included.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
MST3K Style Commentary...
Oh Man...Shatner has a sense of humor, and is the one who blames fans for taking things to seriously(I.E. Get a Life). Wouldn't it be great if they can get the main actors/puppets from MST3K and put them in a video commentary for the movie? Put Shatner in there for some fun times :)..
Someone suggest it at his website..

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
As for III with extra footage - I doubt it.
Nimoy was asked about this way back when TMP first was announced to be re-worked (like 2 and a half years ago). He said then about III and IV that there is very little if anything shot that's not already in the film. He pretty much shot most of what was scripted, and edited in almost all that was shot. If there is a scene scripted but not in the movie, chances are it was never filmed to begin with.
The Internet Movie Database has info about IV where some scenes were planned but problems filming them caused them to be scrapped - like Sulu running into his great-great grandfather as a toddler (the kid wouldn't cooperate), and him hijacking that helicopter by jumping into it (he was suffering from a cold and couldn't do the scene).
Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks